No announcement yet.

OSU to offer Self 3.5 mil/yr plus 6 mil signing bonus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dislike KU as much the next guy, but it's ridiculous to say Self has anything to prove. He's at the top, or near the top of college basketball. If he had hung around Illinois just one more year, he could be sitting on 2 National Titles right now.

As for KU donors, they have just been hit up for money from the football program, it will be interesting to see what they come up with for Self. The funny part is with all their money combined, Pickens can easily squash them like an ant. Remember, we're talking about a guy who makes more in a day than most of us will see in a lifetime...he could pay off my house with what me makes in 2 hours, literally.

And that's just one OSU donor, imagine if a couple others stepped forward with some money.

Comment

I stand corrected, i apologize i read that somewhere and didn't even question it. However, beating the only 2 number 1 seeds it was even possible or them to play is saying something. And to whoever just discredited the Davidson victory should look at who Davidson beat to get to the elite eight. I would think us shocker fans could have some sympathy for a team deserving of credit but not getting it because of their conference instead of achievements.

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose
        I dislike KU as much the next guy, but it's ridiculous to say Self has anything to prove. He's at the top, or near the top of college basketball. If he had hung around Illinois just one more year, he could be sitting on 2 National Titles right now.

As for KU donors, they have just been hit up for money from the football program, it will be interesting to see what they come up with for Self. The funny part is with all their money combined, Pickens can easily squash them like an ant. Remember, we're talking about a guy who makes more in a day than most of us will see in a lifetime...he could pay off my house with what me makes in 2 hours, literally.

And that's just one OSU donor, imagine if a couple others stepped forward with some money.

Estimated Net Worth:

Pickens - $3 Billion

Philip Anschutz - $7.8 Billion

The difference is in estimated level of rational thinking. Boone Pickens would be a great booster to have, but the guy has his priorities a little jacked.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales

Estimated Net Worth:

Pickens - $3 Billion

The difference is in estimated level of rational thinking. Boone Pickens would be a great booster to have, but the guy has his priorities a little jacked.
          You're right...Pickens is willing to donate whatever it takes. I'll assume KU doesn't have any single donors who have thrown $165 million at the university....well ever.

Comment

Estimated Net Worth:

Pickens - $3 Billion

Beat me to it, 7.

Anschutz donates more to the academic side of the university, but I'm sure Sweet Lew has his number around somewhere.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Re: Keeping the rug in place while in the water.

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
              Maybe the money from OSU will allow him to buy a better rug, here is a photo of Kansas coach Bill Self, splashing around with his troops in Hawaii.

Note the hat. In such situations, when you're Bill Self and worried about water-based adhesives, it's probably important to keep the hat on, yes, just in case.
              Personally I've not seen a rug better than Bill Self's. Not even 6 million can do better than that.

Chris

Comment

Estimated Net Worth:

Pickens - $3 Billion

Didn't Anschutz used to be near the top of the Forbes 500, with around $20 billion? What happened to all his money?

Comment

Estimated Net Worth:

Pickens - $3 Billion

Didn't Anschutz used to be near the top of the Forbes 500, with around $20 billion? What happened to all his money?
                  He started investing in soccer teams and over the hill has beens. 8)

...okay, now that I successfully ducked Proshox flailing punch, seriously though the guy gives away hundreds of millions. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure he has been much higher than he is currently in Net Worth.

Comment

I've seen numbers for him as high as $18B but since he is primarily an investor he is somewhat at the market's whim. He lost a lot of dotbomb money, most notably by owning 17% of Qwest.

Still he's got 2-3 times as much as Pickens. But as someone else said, he is also a bit more sane.

Chris

Comment

For what it's worth, Self today said he would meet with Perkins to discuss the situation on Thursday. He initial responses was that Perkins knows what Self wants, and beyond money it's investment in faciities and other stuff (in addition to money). Paraphrasing Self: It's not up to me to say yes; it's up to KU to say no...

KU will not have to match OSU, just make a significant offer.... he and his family are extremely happy in Lawrence... Perkins will get it done..

Self also indicated that he would be talking with OSU..by phone... as a courtesy to his alma mater...

never the less.. you never say never...
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock
                        For what it's worth, Self today said he would meet with Perkins to discuss the situation on Thursday. He initial responses was that Perkins knows what Self wants, and beyond money it's investment in faciities and other stuff (in addition to money). Paraphrasing Self: It's not up to me to say yes; it's up to KU to say no...

KU will not have to match OSU, just make a significant offer.... he and his family are extremely happy in Lawrence... Perkins will get it done..

Self also indicated that he would be talking with OSU..by phone... as a courtesy to his alma mater...

never the less.. you never say never...
                        As they say in poker, he's got all the chips.
                        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                        -John Wooden

Comment

Self and Perkins met today...

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self and athletic director Lew Perkins met for 15 minutes on Wednesday to discuss the fifth-year coach’s future at KU. “We just talked in general,” Self told the Journal-World, indicating a longer meeting will take place Thursday. “We did not talk a lot, but it was very productive. Lew is […]
                          1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

The big difference between Pickens and Anschutz and Koch is T-Bone’s true passion for his university and more importantly athletics. Those other two guys are probably more interested in the next billion dollar acquisition than continually pouring millions into an athletic department. I thank Chuck for his support of Shocker athletics but IMO it’s more of a PR business decision than a love for the university.

Comment

What strikes me about the conversation is that it only lasted 15 minutes. That is could be really good for KU fans wanting to keep Self or really bad. Over all the tone of the article was positive for Self returning for a sixth year.
                              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock
                                What strikes me about the conversation is that it only lasted 15 minutes. That is could be really good for KU fans wanting to keep Self or really bad. Over all the tone of the article was positive for Self returning for a sixth year.
                                They are supposed to meet again today foe more lengthy conversation. The general consensus/speculation on KC Talk Radio is Perkins and Self will come to some general understanding of tems, Self will listen to OSU and politely decline their overtures, and KU will put togrther a package based on the prexiously agreed upon parameters sooner than later.

Again, this speclation based upon interpretation of Self,s cooments.
                                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Working...
                                X