Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jocoshock
    Originally posted by DUShock
    What strikes me about the conversation is that it only lasted 15 minutes. That is could be really good for KU fans wanting to keep Self or really bad. Over all the tone of the article was positive for Self returning for a sixth year.
    They are supposed to meet again today foe more lengthy conversation. The general consensus/speculation on KC Talk Radio is Perkins and Self will come to some general understanding of tems, Self will listen to OSU and politely decline their overtures, and KU will put togrther a package based on the prexiously agreed upon parameters sooner than later.

Again, this speclation based upon interpretation of Self,s cooments.
    Word I'm getting is Self has been offered $25 million over 8 years to remain at KU, and no body in the KUAD thinks Self is leaving. Just a hunch, but I think we'll have an announcement for a tentative deal by late this afternoon or tomorrow. Jack Harry reporting a deal is on the table and being ironed out.

A new practice facility and student housing are probably on the way, too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Originally posted by owenc
      Originally posted by martymoose
      Didn't Anschutz used to be near the top of the Forbes 500, with around $20 billion? What happened to all his money?
      I've seen numbers for him as high as $18B but since he is primarily an investor he is somewhat at the market's whim. He lost a lot of dotbomb money, most notably by owning 17% of Qwest.

Still he's got 2-3 times as much as Pickens. But as someone else said, he is also a bit more sane.

Chris
      You're right I did a google search on the guy and a few articles said he had $18B during the 90's. Poor guy went from $18B down to less than 8. He needs to start being a little tighter with his money.

Originally posted by BostonWu
      The big difference between Pickens and Anschutz and Koch is T-Bone’s true passion for his university and more importantly athletics. Those other two guys are probably more interested in the next billion dollar acquisition than continually pouring millions into an athletic department. I thank Chuck for his support of Shocker athletics but IMO it’s more of a PR business decision than a love for the university.
      That's exactly right. Koch has more money than both of those guys put together...and he's put millions into the University, but what he's doing is investing in his community, rather than being a fanatical fan and donating hundreds of millions of dollars.

Originally posted by Indy23
      Word I'm getting is Self has been offered $25 million over 8 years to remain at KU, and no body in the KUAD thinks Self is leaving.
      If that's the offer, I don't see him going anywhere...what will that put him at...2nd highest paid college basketball coach? My guess is if OSU hadn't been in the picture, Self would be getting an offer of right around $16 million for 8 years right now.

Comment

KU fans have nothing to be concerned with...

Comment

Why so much $ for him, he was very lucky to end up where they did, the missed ff and last second 3 was not due to him, would not pay more than 1.5 a year for him, everyone thinks he is the next best thing.

Comment

Personally, I think some college coaches are getting paid way too much. I love Shocker basketball, but I'd be a little embarrased if coach Marshall were making 4 million a year or whatever, when a great deal of that money could be used for academic scholarships or other things to more directly benefit ALL students. Now, that's not to say I don't think that he deserves to get paid a nice salary, but this is amateur athletics, and not the NBA. Again, this is just my own personal opinion, but multi-million dollar salaries are outrageous. I understand that KU had to do that to counter any offer from OSU, but the whole thing is out of control to me.

Again, just my take, but I know it doesn't change a thing. Just venting.

Comment

Originally posted by shockar25
              Personally, I think some college coaches are getting paid way too much. I love Shocker basketball, but I'd be a little embarrased if coach Marshall were making 4 million a year or whatever, when a great deal of that money could be used for academic scholarships or other things to more directly benefit ALL students. Now, that's not to say I don't think that he deserves to get paid a nice salary, but this is amateur athletics, and not the NBA. Again, this is just my own personal opinion, but multi-million dollar salaries are outrageous. I understand that KU had to do that to counter any offer from OSU, but the whole thing is out of control to me.

Yeah, but the problem is, it's not exactly the university paying that out of pocket...It's private donors fronting the money. Sure the money could be used to directly benefit the students, but guys like Pickens are donating the money for one purpose and that's athletics.

It's going to be interesting to see who OSU's second pick is and what they offer him.

Comment

Coaches get paid a lot of money because they generate a lot of money. If you have a winning team, you sell more merchandise, more tickets, more concessions, ect.

It's simply good business.

Comment

News conference at 4:30 p.m. to announce Self is staying, according to several news sources.

Comment

i never get why coaches have a news conference just to say they saying other than to atract attention to themselves
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234
                      i never get why coaches have a news conference just to say they saying other than to atract attention to themselves
                      Because the fans all want to know and a news conference is the best way to tell them.

Comment

• Originally posted by martymoose
                        Originally posted by shockar25

Yeah, but the problem is, it's not exactly the university paying that out of pocket...It's private donors fronting the money. Sure the money could be used to directly benefit the students, but guys like Pickens are donating the money for one purpose and that's athletics.

It's going to be interesting to see who OSU's second pick is and what they offer him.
                        Oh I know. I just don't like it. It seems to go against the whole spirit of the NCAA (i.e. all their commercials over the tourney time about how most athletes major in something other than sports... etc..) which is about the student athlete.

It's kind of the same argument people make against paying professional athletes so much, but at least there, the whole idea is to provide entertainment AND generate money--not cultivate student athletes and the education of students.

Again, I just don't like it. I understand it, but don't like it.

Comment

• More rumors. OSU AD Mike Holder met Self for dinner last night, got the "I'm not going to OSU" and then immediately got on a plane to Tennessee.

Comment

• saw that Andy Katz reported that Self is staying
                            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• OSU to talk to Calipari.

Comment

• Calipari would be an excellent second choice. I bet he wishes he could get all of T. Boone'for money though...

Comment

Working...
                                X