The Rise & Fall of the Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Good catch. I had that on my list and simply failed to post it. Correction made.
    It always impresses me, how nothing gets by the people on this board. If you don't have your facts straight you will get called out. Sometimes even if you do have them straight you get called out. Very sharp people on this board.

Comment

• Went back to some of the old MVC links and re read the quote from the ISUb president about WSU departure from the conference. It just reinforced my belief that it was past time for WSU to leave. If a president of a University believes that we were an "outlier" in the conference because of the funding by "the Koch brothers" and that our success was based on that support then how delusional is the rest of the conference leadership. Perhaps that is why WSU saw so little support from those administrators in trying to upgrade their own programs. It was just so sad to read and made me so glad (all over again) that we are in the American.

Comment

• 15 of the 24 that have left have moved tp better conferences.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          15 of the 24 that have left have moved tp better conferences.
          I count 17 that I consider move ups.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
            Went back to some of the old MVC links and re read the quote from the ISUb president about WSU departure from the conference. It just reinforced my belief that it was past time for WSU to leave. If a president of a University believes that we were an "outlier" in the conference because of the funding by "the Koch brothers" and that our success was based on that support then how delusional is the rest of the conference leadership. Perhaps that is why WSU saw so little support from those administrators in trying to upgrade their own programs. It was just so sad to read and made me so glad (all over again) that we are in the American.
            You basically became the UCONN WBB of the MVC. The time to move on was definitely past due.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
              You basically became the UCONN WBB of the MVC. The time to move on was definitely past due.
              Just curious: does a UConn WBB fan even get excited for conference knowing they're going to win every game? Do they just look forward to the NCAA tourney?

Comment

• Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
                That's a heckuva compliment but I don't think the Shockers' men's basketball team can claim to have dominated the Valley to the extent that the UConn WBB has dominated. But let's face it, parity in collegiate WBB is not very good.

The closest we have to that would be our Women's Tennis program who finished off their time in the Valley with 89 consecutive dual match wins over Valley opponents and most of those matches were not close.

The Valley also had an All-Sports Trophy that Wichita State won 11 times in the past 14 years including the last 5 years by relatively wide margins (and that was with our historically strong baseball program struggling).
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 26, 2017, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                  Sometimes even if you do have them (your facts) straight you get called out.
                  A sage observation about good old SN, Top.

Comment

• When I was knee high to a grasshoppa, the Valley of Death was just that. The hiring of Gregg Marshall was the 'beginning of the end' of that era as our exit quest marching orders and search began IMO. In the meanwhile, the MVC did nothing to remedy their issues as our search continued. However, way before that, there was a glimmer of hope when 4 Valley teams made the Dance and Bradley and WSU made the Sweet 16. Now, we can lift our heads high as we enter a Conference as grand as the AAC. It will be like a reunion with several teams and now we have a very competitive schedule to better prepare us to grow as a Program. This seriously pounds letting the world pass us by. So many various results in life comes down to choices made. This Program choice is a win-win scenario for WSU and the AAC to both grow and progress in the very competitive world of NCAA sports. No looking back needed as we plunge into this needed change with both feet.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Apparently on the American fan site WSU should just lay low until basketball while the other schools put on their "big boy" pants and play football. This is what the big boys do in the fall and not worry about small sports like basketball. And so it starts.

Comment

Apparently on the American fan site WSU should just lay low until basketball while the other schools put on their "big boy" pants and play football. This is what the big boys do in the fall and not worry about small sports like basketball. And so it starts.
                        And this posturing is EXACTLY why the AAC loses the P5-P6 argument before it even starts. The so-called big boys are starting up their fall football aspirations, and the AAC football programs aren't in the discussion even a little.

Comment

Apparently on the American fan site WSU should just lay low until basketball while the other schools put on their "big boy" pants and play football. This is what the big boys do in the fall and not worry about small sports like basketball. And so it starts.
                          I know how we could participate too.

On Saturdays, (or Thursday nights) we tailgate at Cessna stadium, make a big bonfire at the 50 yard line and stand around for 3 hours throwing $100 bills into the fire.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Landry and Markis (and many other WSU fans) had some fun with this one.
                            78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                              https://twitter.com/MaroonMadness/st...60280702455808

Landry and Markis (and many other WSU fans) had some fun with this one.
                              @MoronMadness?

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X