No announcement yet.

The Rise & Fall of the Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But unlike the Big 12 conference champion for the last decade, we won't lose to every MVC team we face in the dance when the matchups happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
      But unlike the Big 12 conference champion for the last decade, we won't lose to every MVC team we face in the dance when the matchups happen.
      We're too busy losing to schools from Kentucky.

Comment

• I just want Barry and the Salukis to start winning every year. Year after year. I want to occasionally peek at missouristate247 and just read. Then smile. Then read some more.

I want to watch Lusk get canned, and a coaching carousel in Springfield that you can set your watch by.

Yeah, that would be great!

I want Cuonzo to win just enough at Mizzou to infuriate Bear fans, all the while, salaries at Missouri State drop into the low $100,000 range, and another cattle sale.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Then I want Missouri State to drop to D-2 and rekindle their rivalry with Drury.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxcity View Post
            "...losing them was a big plus for the rest of us.” Glad we could be of some service to the MVC.

Comment

• It makes the Valley more competitive...within itself. Not so much outside the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
                It makes the Valley more competitive...within itself. Not so much outside the league.
                They can only be competitive with themselves. . .

Comment

• The Valley has almost always been competitive below 1st place. Last year was the only exception.

Comment

• Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
                    It makes the Valley more competitive...within itself. Not so much outside the league.
                    That's about as far as most Valley programs have the resources to see.

And realistically, that's where the conference is at and likely will be for the foreseeable future. The only path to being a nationally relevant conference again is for Bradley and either SIU or MSU to get their crap together at a time when UNI and ISU are also peaking.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                      That's about as far as most Valley programs have the resources to see.

And realistically, that's where the conference is at and likely will be for the foreseeable future. The only path to being a nationally relevant conference again is for Bradley and either SIU or MSU to get their crap together at a time when UNI and ISU are also peaking.
                      I am skeptical of that happening or even getting close to happening.

Hinson is a pretty fair coach. He did well with a limited budget at MSU, and he's struggling with the rebuild after Lowery destroyed the program. SIU and ISU appear to have become stepping stone programs for players, instead of coaches.

It seems that player loyalty at ISU was tied to Paris Lee, rather than Muller. Hawkins made it clear before the season started that last year was his last at ISU. Then he took a grad trfr to leave. McIntosh left. There's quite a pattern of that at ISU.

MSU ran out of cattle to sell. Their athletic department is broke. If they ever get a coach who can get to the NCAA's and win a game, they are about certain to lose that coach. Getting the auto bid and losing in the first round doesn't get a coach poached, so they will be able to keep a coach like Lusk who's probably thrilled to be making somewhere past $300K. It won't put butts in seats or raise money for the program. MSU's fans hate Lusk.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        I am skeptical of that happening or even getting close to happening.

Hinson is a pretty fair coach. He did well with a limited budget at MSU, and he's struggling with the rebuild after Lowery destroyed the program. SIU and ISU appear to have become stepping stone programs for players, instead of coaches.

It seems that player loyalty at ISU was tied to Paris Lee, rather than Muller. Hawkins made it clear before the season started that last year was his last at ISU. Then he took a grad trfr to leave. McIntosh left. There's quite a pattern of that at ISU.

MSU ran out of cattle to sell. Their athletic department is broke. If they ever get a coach who can get to the NCAA's and win a game, they are about certain to lose that coach. Getting the auto bid and losing in the first round doesn't get a coach poached, so they will be able to keep a coach like Lusk who's probably thrilled to be making somewhere past $300K. It won't put butts in seats or raise money for the program. MSU's fans hate Lusk.
                        This is so right. Until these schools figure out a way to pay a good coach, if they find one, they have no chance of any more than a flash of success. They seem more concerned in maintaining their second rate football programs than achieving meaningful success in basketball.

Comment

• In fairness to them, top, a number of their football programs are actually first-rate -- for FCS.

That's the key. If having a strong FCS football program consumes your athletic resources to the point that you can't afford to have a consistently strong D-1 basketball program, a high major program in a mid-major league as WSU has had in recent years, you simply aren't going to be nationally relevant. And if you have a league full of schools like that at the top and ranging down from there, the league isn't going to be nationally relevant either.

From all indications, the Valley seems to be content with being the basketball wing of the premier FCS football conference, and that being the case, I am ecstatic that WSU has moved on.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                            In fairness to them, top, a number of their football programs are actually first-rate -- for FCS.

That's the key. If having a strong FCS football program consumes your athletic resources to the point that you can't afford to have a consistently strong D-1 basketball program, a high major program in a mid-major league as WSU has had in recent years, you simply aren't going to be nationally relevant. And if you have a league full of schools like that at the top and ranging down from there, the league isn't going to be nationally relevant either.

From all indications, the Valley seems to be content with being the basketball wing of the premier FCS football conference, and that being the case, I am ecstatic that WSU has moved on.
                            I wish all the "bring back football" crowd would understand this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                              I wish all the "bring back football" crowd would understand this point.
                              I used to be in this crowd, but I am now convinced there will be fewer rather than more relevant football programs in ten years. Houston, Cincinnati, Boise, UCF, are not going to supplant the traditional regional powers and certainly a start from scratch program will not. I wod love us to have football of we could play DII. May come to pass one day.
                              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                                I used to be in this crowd, but I am now convinced there will be fewer rather than more relevant football programs in ten years. Houston, Cincinnati, Boise, UCF, are not going to supplant the traditional regional powers and certainly a start from scratch program will not. I wod love us to have football of we could play DII. May come to pass one day.
                                I disagree that we want a DII program. It would never be supported. That is Ks. Newman level. Who wants to be a middle of the road program at that level? We'd receive extra ridiculing from K State and KU people. Either do it right or not imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X