• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love the podcast great job

Comment

• Great job you guys! Thank you!

Comment

• "Act of kindness helps ticket scam victim get to WSU men’s basketball game" - KSN News

By Sara Berlinger
        Published: December 14, 2017, 11:41 pm cst

Video Included

"
        WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – On Tuesday we told you about the Wichita man who was scammed out of tickets to this Saturday’s WSU men’s basketball game at Intrust Bank Arena.

He shared his experience with KSN to warn others in the community about fake tickets online. But today, there are two reasons he’s smiling.

Wichita Police say they made an arrest in the case, and George Spies tells me he’s relieved.
        But even better than that, George is now going to have to clear his calendar this Saturday to go here.

It was a typical day for George Spies. Until I called him up and said meet me downtown.

I told him I had someone who wanted to meet him.

“We wanted to introduce you guys…”

Alan Wondra said a special reason made him want to help out George and his family.

“Since twenty some years, on the anniversary of their birthdays and the anniversaries of their deaths, we do what we call, random acts of kindness,” said Alan Wondra, Wichita.

The Wondra’s lost their daughter Megan to SIDS when she was just five and a half months old. Three years later, tragedy hit the family a second time with the loss of their son Brett at birth.

With Brett’s 23rd birthday this Sunday, Alan saw on opportunity.

“In honor of Brett, I’ve got two tickets for you to go to the ball game,” said Wondra.

Wichita Police say they arrested Derek Devlin who sold the bogus tickets to George for theft among other charges.

George could’ve never guessed he and his family would be in the stands Saturday to cheer on the Shockers.

“They’re obviously a very generous family, and got great hearts,” said George Spies, Wichita.

Even better – Alan got two more tickets from his church group so George’s original plan of taking his entire family is now possible.

“I already told my son that we wasn’t going, he was kind of bummed out but now, he will be excited,” said Spies.

But, for Alan and his family. staying home to watch the game on TV is all for a good cause.

“Its going to make me feel real good too that I was able to help him, that I was able to give him his tickets and that him and his family can really enjoy the Shockers,” said Wondra.

Alan has two children Jenn and Aaron who also try to keep their siblings in mind through acts of kindness.
        And if you’re at the game Saturday – George says to look out for a sign he will be holding at the game, a thank you to the Wondras."

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
          "Act of kindness helps ticket scam victim get to WSU men’s basketball game" - KSN News

By Sara Berlinger
          Published: December 14, 2017, 11:41 pm cst

Video Included

"
          WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – On Tuesday we told you about the Wichita man who was scammed out of tickets to this Saturday’s WSU men’s basketball game at Intrust Bank Arena.

He shared his experience with KSN to warn others in the community about fake tickets online. But today, there are two reasons he’s smiling.

Wichita Police say they made an arrest in the case, and George Spies tells me he’s relieved.
          But even better than that, George is now going to have to clear his calendar this Saturday to go here.

It was a typical day for George Spies. Until I called him up and said meet me downtown.

I told him I had someone who wanted to meet him.

“We wanted to introduce you guys…”

Alan Wondra said a special reason made him want to help out George and his family.

“Since twenty some years, on the anniversary of their birthdays and the anniversaries of their deaths, we do what we call, random acts of kindness,” said Alan Wondra, Wichita.

The Wondra’s lost their daughter Megan to SIDS when she was just five and a half months old. Three years later, tragedy hit the family a second time with the loss of their son Brett at birth.

With Brett’s 23rd birthday this Sunday, Alan saw on opportunity.

“In honor of Brett, I’ve got two tickets for you to go to the ball game,” said Wondra.

Wichita Police say they arrested Derek Devlin who sold the bogus tickets to George for theft among other charges.

George could’ve never guessed he and his family would be in the stands Saturday to cheer on the Shockers.

“They’re obviously a very generous family, and got great hearts,” said George Spies, Wichita.

Even better – Alan got two more tickets from his church group so George’s original plan of taking his entire family is now possible.

“I already told my son that we wasn’t going, he was kind of bummed out but now, he will be excited,” said Spies.

But, for Alan and his family. staying home to watch the game on TV is all for a good cause.

“Its going to make me feel real good too that I was able to help him, that I was able to give him his tickets and that him and his family can really enjoy the Shockers,” said Wondra.

Alan has two children Jenn and Aaron who also try to keep their siblings in mind through acts of kindness.
          And if you’re at the game Saturday – George says to look out for a sign he will be holding at the game, a thank you to the Wondras."
          Phenomenal. Can we get a shout out to this couple on the jumbo Tron?

Comment

• "College Basketball Futures Watch Part III: Syracuse through Xavier" - NBC Sports

By Rob Dauster
            Dec 15, 2017, 9:00 AM EST

"College Basketball Futures Watch Part II: Maryland through Seton HallCollege Basketball Futures Watch Part I: Alabama through Louisville
            Over the course of the next three days, we at College Basketball Talk will be cruising through the best, the most surprising and the most disappointing teams in college basketball. As of today, how should we view the 45 most interesting teams in the country based on preseason expectation? Are we more confident in them? Less confident? Still unsure?

We used five different labels here to help define how we feel about each of the 45 teams mentioned:

- Bet The Mortgage
            - Raise
            - Check
            - Fold
            - Get Your Stuff And Go Home

Today, we go through everyone from Syracuse to Xavier.

Let’s get into it

SYRACUSE: Check
            TCU: Raise
            TENNESSEE: Check
            TEXAS: Check
            TEXAS A&M: Raise
            TEXAS TECH: Fold
            UCLA: Check
            UCONN: Get Your Stuff And Go Home
            USC: Check, but I’m ready to fold
            VILLANOVA: Bet The Mortgage
            WEST VIRGINIA: Raise
            VIRGINIA: Raise
            WICHITA STATE: Bet The Mortgage
            The Shockers are really, really good. A one-point loss to Notre Dame is the only thing keeping them from a clean sheet, and they look to have a team as capable as any Gregg Marshall has fielded in Wichita. Now in the AAC, the Shockers are going to be more battle-tested then ever and should be in line for a high seed, making them a threat to return to the Final Four – and maybe even win the whole thing. (TH)
            WISCONSIN: Fold
            XAVIER: Bet The Mortgage..."

Comment

• From the “we haven’t quite made it yet“ file: halftime of Louisville/Memphis and they are breaking down top teams from AAC starting with Wichita State and dude mispronounces both McDuffie and Shamet’s names.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                From the “we haven’t quite made it yet“ file: halftime of Louisville/Memphis and they are breaking down top teams from AAC starting with Wichita State and dude mispronounces both McDuffie and Shamet’s names.
                How can you possibly mispronounce those names?

Comment

• Steeleshocker
                  Steeleshocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've seen a few talking heads say Marquise, and I think a bunch of them aren't sure how to say Shamet.

• Shocker Mama
                  Shocker Mama commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I remember when Landry was being recruited and someone commented that they were uncertain how to pronounce his name. He said it rhymes with "dammit."

• ...and yet they get paid.
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I have no idea why ESPN continues to lose subscribers when they have so many well-researched journalists.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Hey, Shockernetters. I hope everyone is having a great week. Billy and I decided to split up our weekly Shockerland TV video into smaller, more specific segments. There are 5 videos this week, and all of them reference tonight’s game and McDuffie’s return.

1) Is “Play Angry” Dead? https://www.shockerland.com/shockerl...ngry-dead.html
                    2) Glass Half Full or Half Empty? https://www.shockerland.com/shockerl...alf-empty.html
                    3) McDuffie Coming Back https://www.shockerland.com/shockerl...ming-back.html
                    4) Florida Gulf Coast Preview https://www.shockerland.com/shockerl...-12222017.html
                    5) The Percentages Game https://www.shockerland.com/shockerl...-12222017.html

I hope you all enjoy them! I’m sure I’ll see many of you at the game tonight. Go Shox!

Comment

• Well, that was some game last night, but I don’t know how many more of these close ones I can take this season haha. Our FGCU game story is now up on Shockerland (https://www.shockerland.com/mcduffie...n-trouble.html), so take a look if you find yourself twiddling your thumbs today. Hopefully, some of you get my 1963 song reference. I have to do some last minute shopping now, but I wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

Comment

• This isn't necessarily "Media Love" but I wasn't sure where else to put it. Yale Undergraduate Sports Analytics Group put out a statistical breakdown about the value of switching conferences in college basketball featuring WSU, Valpo, and IUPUI following their moves to new conferences this past summer. The article also contains links to their tournament projection system

The writer also joined "Union Street Hoops", a Valpo Basketball podcast where he broke down what some of the metrics are in greater detail and gives more explanation of the value of the WSU and Valpo moves (this episode also has the MVC Hoops preview with Harry Schroeder from ValleyHoopsInsider if anyone has interest in the MVC race this year)

Comment

• Billy and I got together yesterday and recorded this week’s videos for Shockerland. In the first one, we recapped the non-conference part of the schedule and talked about the best win and worst loss (https://www.shockerland.com/shockerl...nce-recap.html). Our second video is an in-depth preview of The American. We talk about every team in the conference and offer our predictions for the season (https://www.shockerland.com/shockerl...8-preview.html).

There will also be a UConn preview up tomorrow and another Percentages Game video added this weekend. Check them out, and thank you for your continued support!

Comment

• Steeleshocker
                            Steeleshocker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hey guys, just a quick suggestion. Maybe you should start a thread for the shockerland articles similar to how the Talk Angry podcast is done. I don't know about others, but my expectation is that this thread topically contains national media coverage, or at least outsider perspectives.

• Wichita State in Maui 2017.jpg

"Maui close to record-breaking visitor arrival, spending totals" - Maui News

BRIAN PERRY, City Editor
                          DEC 29, 2017

Maui is on the cusp of setting new annual records for visitor arrivals and spending, according to November statistics released Thursday by the Hawai‘i Tourism Authority. Maui visitor arrivals by air were up 9.3 percent in November to 215,266 and up 3.7 percent to 2,483,686 for the year’s first 11 months. To break last year’s […]

"Wichita State basketball fans cheer their team during a win over Cal in this year’s Maui Jim Maui Invitational at the Lahaina Civic Center in November. Boosters who made the trip from states like Kansas, Illinois, Michigan and Indiana helped elevate Maui’s tourism numbers for the month of November. Maui visitor arrivals by air increased 9.3 percent in November to 215,266, compared with the same month last year, according to the Hawai‘i Tourism Authority..."

Comment

• Interesting and short article from the Boston Globe regarding how basketball has become important to the AAC with the writer even suggesting dropping football. I'm sure our friends at UCF would have a lot to say about that.

Nice mention of Wichita State.

Comment

Working...
                            X