2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shocks771 View Post
    The conference championship game will be played immediately prior to the selection show on CBS. Taking over the Big 10 time slot as they are moving their tournament up a week.
    The two school of thoughts might be The Big 10 new early tourney to give your players a week to get mended up and work on potential game plans. The Valley did this too and I always liked it. However, could playing this new later time slot make us more game ready and sharper? Dunno, but we the new Shocks on the block are going to give it the ole American try. If we have lasting power it might also give us more Pub as the fans and potential recruits are focusing in on Selection Sunday? Stay tuned.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Playing a tourney a week before Selection Sunday gave the players a week to rest and heal, but it also gave them a week with no games. I don't think anyone ever came to any conclusion on whether that extra week helped or hurt. It seemed like a tradeoff.

What playing the conference tourney a week early does do is it compresses the schedule by a week. that was generally thought to be a disadvantage. Scheduling is harder and the frequency of games is higher.

The B1G moving their tourney to the same weekend as the Valley's tourney, and WSU not being in the Valley, will kill the TV audience for the MVC tourney. Watch CBS abandon the MVC tourney as soon as the current contract is done.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
        The two school of thoughts might be The Big 10 new early tourney to give your players a week to get mended up and work on potential game plans. The Valley did this too and I always liked it. However, could playing this new later time slot make us more game ready and sharper? Dunno, but we the new Shocks on the block are going to give it the ole American try. If we have lasting power it might also give us more Pub as the fans and potential recruits are focusing in on Selection Sunday? Stay tuned.
        I believe the Big 10 move is for this year only due to a scheduling conflict at their new venue.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks771 View Post
          The conference championship game will be played immediately prior to the selection show on CBS. Taking over the Big 10 time slot as they are moving their tournament up a week.
          I hope the b10 tourney is in DC again this year so we can watch turg play under the added pressure of a home court advantage!! ******* carpetbagger!
          Last edited by ShockingButTrue; July 4, 2017, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
            I hope the b10 tourney is in DC again this year so we can watch turg play under the added pressure of a home court advantage!! ******* carpetbagger!
            It's at MSG in NYC.
            78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
              It's at MSG in NYC.
              Yup. Which is why it had to moved up a week. The nBE has that final week locked up at MSG.

On another note, looking at the conference this year, I don't think the AAC has ever had this much depth or teams competing for NCAA bids. Seems like the best is yet to come.

And Happy Independence Day! It's all about 'Merica!

Comment

• Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
                Yup. Which is why it had to moved up a week. The nBE has that final week locked up at MSG.

On another note, looking at the conference this year, I don't think the AAC has ever had this much depth or teams competing for NCAA bids. Seems like the best is yet to come.

And Happy Independence Day! It's all about 'Merica!
                UCONN, at the rate of your postings, you'll be an SN Graduate before the end of this season! And that's a good thing; your posts are always positive and on point. You're probably setting us up for the conference season at which point you'll turn into KCShox!

Comment

• Per Mid Major Madness, Kansas is now one of three states (joining Alaska and Minnesota) that doesn't have a mid-major basketball program.
                  “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                    Per Mid Major Madness, Kansas is now one of three states (joining Alaska and Minnesota) that doesn't have a mid-major basketball program.
                    https://www.midmajormadness.com/2017...stern-kentucky
                    They seem to overrate K-State. Maybe MMM forgot they existed. If so, they may be forgiven, as it is a common occurrence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                      Per Mid Major Madness, Kansas is now one of three states (joining Alaska and Minnesota) that doesn't have a mid-major basketball program.
                      https://www.midmajormadness.com/2017...stern-kentucky
                      I just addressed this to the Sports Desk of the Daytona Beach News Journal. Hopefully, they, and others around the country will eventually see the light.
                      Last edited by 60Shock; July 6, 2017, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                        I just addressed this to the Sports Desk of the Daytona Beach News Journal. Hopefully, they, and others around the country will eventually wee the light.
                        Honestly, the more people keep doing stuff like this, the more their opinions will be confirmed. I'd cool it with the angry emails.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• It's awfully fun to see WSU missing from a list full of strong Mountain West teams, A10 teams, WCC teams and MVC teams that I've come to respect over the years.

There may be debate about whether or not the American is a "power" conference or what not, but it doesn't seem to get mentioned on the same level as the very good mid-major conferences behind them either. The American tends to be largely included as a power conference with an asterisk rather than a mid-major leader. It may be unclear where to classify it, but it is not actively getting classified with the mid-majors in most of the national stuff I see.

I guess you would call it a major metropolitan conference that is simply not part of the P5. It is a unique distinction that only seems to include the American and the Big East at this point. Pretty fun.

Comment

• I went to MVCFans and posted congratulations to UNI, IlSU, and Valpo.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              I went to MVCFans and posted congratulations to UNI, IlSU, and Valpo.
                              I'm sure that went over well - just mention "WSU" over there and it seems they immediately have a full case of pWUtsd.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                                Jon Rothstein's AAC Offseason Notebook: https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rot...ason-notebook/
                                Looks like GGG going to have to put out a coach of the year type effort, WSU doesn't seem to have the talent compared to other schools per article:

SMU - 5 players
                                Cincy - 5 players
                                Temple - 3 players
                                Memphis - 3 players
                                Houston - 2 players
                                UCF - 2 players
                                UConn - 2 players
                                WSU - 2 players

Comment

Working...
                                X