No announcement yet.

2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could be that they think WSU @ Cinci will be a better game than Cinci @ WSU.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      Could be that they think WSU @ Cinci will be a better game than Cinci @ WSU.
      Sagarin would say seven-eight points closer because of home-court swing.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Hey, back again. I checked ESPN and couldn't help but look at Shockernet's reaction to the WSU & KU rivalry suggestion.
        I wanted to share and discuss before I am swept out of here. (Warning, this may not be a new thought).

As a newer and younger fan of WSU (and a KU alum), I am not drooling for another KU/WSU game. I saw the KU/WSU game that I wanted to see. I got to see my favorite KU player, Perry Ellis, get his butt whooped by my absolute favorite player Fred VanVleet. I loved those players from WSU, and apart from Perry E, I didn't care for much of the KU squad. So, that was THE WSU/KU game for me.

So, I am in no hurry to put KU on the schedule anymore than any other team. Except...........UK. I wanna go toe-to-toe with that team and finally beat em'. KU, to me is another great program that would be fun to watch. No more than LU and MSU last year. Maybe it would be different had WSU lost. Yeah, but FVV.

For the record, I think some on this forum are convinced I am a JayHawk fan and nothing more. But if you look back at my intro post as "mini-shock" you might change your mind. I am a WSU fan as I met my wife (who is a big part of my WSU fandom) while both of us were attending KU. I always watch and root for WSU. I occasionally watch KU and occasionally root for them to win. I don't enjoy the KU/WSU hate mostly because WSU fans are obsessed with comparisons and sticking it to KU or KU not doing well. I am not that way, hence why I am not foaming at the mouth to see the KU/WSU matchup again.

***I wrote this prior to the thread going a different direction. Sorry.****

Comment

• Originally posted by Mini-Hawk View Post
          Yes, you most certainly are.

Comment

Hey, back again. I checked ESPN and couldn't help but look at Shockernet's reaction to the WSU & KU rivalry suggestion.
            I wanted to share and discuss before I am swept out of here. (Warning, this may not be a new thought).

As a newer and younger fan of WSU (and a KU alum), I am not drooling for another KU/WSU game. I saw the KU/WSU game that I wanted to see. I got to see my favorite KU player, Perry Ellis, get his butt whooped by my absolute favorite player Fred VanVleet. I loved those players from WSU, and apart from Perry E, I didn't care for much of the KU squad. So, that was THE WSU/KU game for me.

So, I am in no hurry to put KU on the schedule anymore than any other team. Except...........UK. I wanna go toe-to-toe with that team and finally beat em'. KU, to me is another great program that would be fun to watch. No more than LU and MSU last year. Maybe it would be different had WSU lost. Yeah, but FVV.

For the record, I think some on this forum are convinced I am a JayHawk fan and nothing more. But if you look back at my intro post as "mini-shock" you might change your mind. I am a WSU fan as I met my wife (who is a big part of my WSU fandom) while both of us were attending KU. I always watch and root for WSU. I occasionally watch KU and occasionally root for them to win. I don't enjoy the KU/WSU hate mostly because WSU fans are obsessed with comparisons and sticking it to KU or KU not doing well. I am not that way, hence why I am not foaming at the mouth to see the KU/WSU matchup again.

*squints*
            ....KU-related screen name....
            ....first Shockernet post....
            ....discouraging scheduling of WSU/KU....

Tread lightly, journeyman.

Comment

Hey, back again. I checked ESPN and couldn't help but look at Shockernet's reaction to the WSU & KU rivalry suggestion.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
                *squints*
                ....KU-related screen name....
                ....first Shockernet post....
                ....discouraging scheduling of WSU/KU....

Tread lightly, journeyman.
                Lol. Not even close to her first post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  Awesome meme, great job!

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    Excellent Meme. I honestly just wanted to you guys' take, and leave mine. I mean, just because I am unwelcome in this forum, I still find interest in what Shockernet thinks. Meme and credibility jabs aside, I just want to see what you thought of Metcalf's write-up, the whole idea, and my take on it.

Comment

• Excellent Meme. I honestly just wanted to you guys' take, and leave mine. I mean, just because I am unwelcome in this forum, I still find interest in what Shockernet thinks. Meme and credibility jabs aside, I just want to see what you thought of Metcalf's write-up, the whole idea, and my take on it.
                      Maybe you need to follow the clues a little more carefully. You know, with understanding.

What part of "Nobody cares" do you need help with?

Comment

• What Metcalf article? Link?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                          "The matchups we need to see right now in college basketball" - ESPN Sports

Myron Medcalf, ESPN Staff Writer
                          posted: 09/18/17

Sure, there are rivalry games that happen every year because of conference alignment. But there are others -- pitting brothers or old rivals who've gone their separate ways or two fan bases that cannot stand each other -- that we should see right now.

"The most disappointing element of college basketball's past decade has been the elimination of significant rivalry games.

Indiana and Kentucky never returned after Christian Watford's buzzer-beater at Assembly Hall in 2011. Yes, they met in subsequent NCAA tournaments, but we lost a great in-season series. Missouri and Kansas is done. Sad.

Georgetown and Syracuse have reignited their rivalry. Perhaps Patrick Ewing will rebuild Georgetown and restore the rivalry's value.

But lengthier conference schedules, competitive nonconference tournaments and more pressure to win all diminish the likelihood we'll see any new, meaningful rivalries emerge.

That won't stop us, however, from dreaming.

Here are some of the rivalries we'd love to see in college basketball:

1. Wichita State Shockers-Kansas Jayhawks

Yes, the state of Kansas deserves this. But college basketball does, too. Wichita State is now a premier program with six consecutive NCAA tournament berths, a Sweet 16 nod in 2015 and a Final Four appearance in 2013.

Gregg Marshall makes more than $3 million per year, elite cash in college basketball. And he'll take his team's talents to the American Athletic Conference in 2017-18, where a bigger spotlight could elevate the Wichita State program to the next level.

In 2015, the Shockers beat perennial power Kansas in the NCAA tournament. Both squads will enter this season ranked in the top 10.

Seems like a perfect climate to announce a rivalry.

But ...

"This isn't knocking Wichita State," Kansas coach Bill Self told The Kansas City Star four years ago. "But if it was best for our program, I would reach out to them about scheduling them. But it's not."

The truth is Kansas and Wichita State can stand alone. They don't need each other. Wichita State's fan base swarms arenas around the country throughout the season. They love their Shockers and that won't change.

And Kansas is, well, Kansas, one of the best programs of all time. You can't find three coaches in college basketball who can say their job is better than Self's.

But this is a request. Please, make this happen.

Wichita State-Kansas would give college basketball a boost every season. Fine, play at a neutral site. Do it on a playground. We don't care. Just want to see it happen...."

Others:
                          2. Louisville Cardinals-Minnesota Golden Gophers
                          3. Harvard Crimson-Northwestern Wildcats
                          4, Indiana Hoosiers-Arizona Wildcats
                          5. Maryland Terrapins-Duke Blue Devils
                          6. Gonzaga Bulldogs-North Carolina Tar Heels
                          Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                          What Metcalf article? Link?

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

We need to calculate @Mini-Hawk:'s egover-to-paragraph ratio! See here for the calculation: http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...l=1#post164471
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• "College basketball season starts in 50 days, so here's 50 fun facts to get you ready" - CBS Sports

Nov. 10 will be here before you know it so here's what you need to know

by Matt Norlander
                              posted: 09/21/17, 1:00pm est

"...11. The chic, non-traditional preseason top-10 team: Wichita State. The Shockers outscored opponents by 465 points last season -- the highest differential in college hoops. All five starters return. Landry Shamet broke his foot in July, but is aiming to return in time for the start of the season. The Shockers are especially intriguing because they moved from the Missouri Valley to the American Athletic Conference. A well-timed move, as this is shaping up to the best most well-rounded Shockers team Gregg Marshall's coached....

...20. The only programs to have made at least seven straight NCAA Tournaments: Kansas, Duke, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Wisconsin ... and Cincinnati. The Bearcats are slept on so hard. But, with good reason. This program needs to make a Sweet 16. This team could be Mick Cronin's best one yet, and stands to be Wichita State's toughest competition in the American....

...21. Can the mid-major conferences get back into the at-large conversation? If you consider the Major 7 leagues, plus the Atlantic 10, West Coast Conference and Mountain West to make up the 10 "multi-bid" conferences, there are 22 traditional mid-major leagues in college basketball. In 2017, none of those leagues received an at-large bid. In 2016, the only program from one of those leagues to get an at-large was Wichita State. In 2015, none of the 22 received at-large love. The same happened in 2014. With new selection criteria in place, will the trend buck?...

...42. No program has won more national championships since 1999 than UConn's four. The Huskies were a disaster last season. Their league, the AAC, could really use a strong season. As could Kevin Ollie, who could hear footsteps if the Huskies miss the NCAAs again. Fortunately, Jalen Adams and Terry Larrier are back, as is Alterique Gilbert, who like Larrier missed much of last year with injury....

...45. The only school celebrating 100 seasons as a program in 2017-18: Loyola of Chicago. The Ramblers are the dark horse pick in the Missouri Valley, which no longer has Wichita State sitting on its iron throne...."

Comment

Excellent Meme. I honestly just wanted to you guys' take, and leave mine. I mean, just because I am unwelcome in this forum, I still find interest in what Shockernet thinks. Meme and credibility jabs aside, I just want to see what you thought of Metcalf's write-up, the whole idea, and my take on it.
                                Well in that case...

Comment

Working...
                                X