No announcement yet.

2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing I picked up was at the end. We need to sign some players.
    Professional gas passer.

Comment

• Found some tidbits in Lindy's Sport Mag. to share. Often I refer to this Season Shocker team as not only led by 6 experienced Seniors but point to the tripod foundation of LS, MM, and Shaq to lead the surge forward. Speaking of that, Lindy's had all three of these Shocks in the top 25 list in the Nation at their position. LS was ranked 7th at point guard, MM was 8th listed under SF, and Shaq was listed at 21st. at Center in the Nation.

Our backcourt was not listed in Lindy's top 10 in the Nation, but IMO, if the Shocks come out and stay healthy all Season, they ought to be. Our frontcourt was actually listed 9th in this same Mag.in the Nation.In terms of the AAC, Lindy's predicted LS and MM to be 1st. team All-Conference and CF and Shaq to be 3rd. team with LS being a candidate predicted to be player of the year in the AAC.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• I like our backcourt a lot better than the magazines. Must be anticipating Landry & Austin missing significant action. Let them doubt us once again.

Comment

• speaking of the backcourt.. man, i hope that reaves can stay healthy. he's a bit of a warrior. ice in his veins.

Comment

• Killed a little time this morning by watching perhaps the best tournament game in NCAA history. Gets the juices flowing for the upcoming season. CAN'T GET HERE SOON ENOUGH!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
              Killed a little time this morning by watching perhaps the best tournament game in NCAA history. Gets the juices flowing for the upcoming season. CAN'T GET HERE SOON ENOUGH!!!

https://youtu.be/U2eFmKKshGQ
              Had to watch that epic game again!!! What a slugfest. Two very talented teams in a game that could have ended with either team winning. Could not help but to gaze ahead wondering this. "How would this 2017/2018 high-ranked Shocker team do against either team of this game? What do you think?

Comment

• The Shocker versus Shocker game would end up in a TIE.

Comment

• I think the current team could take out that kentucky team as long as they still had the use of the coaches too. They couldn't earlier last year but wow they have really c ome a long way. They aren't as good defensively as the older shockers but they are better offensively even taking Cle in to consideration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
                    I think the current team could take out that kentucky team as long as they still had the use of the coaches too. They couldn't earlier last year but wow they have really c ome a long way. They aren't as good defensively as the older shockers but they are better offensively even taking Cle in to consideration.
                    My opinions are free but not always accurate. I think the 2017-18 Shocks are a whisker better than this very talented Baker, Cotton, FVV, Cle, team. While I would give an edge to the starters just mentioned, I would be inclined to believe I like the bench strength of this Season's team for the small overall edge. Close call indeed. Kentucky will not defeat us thrice at the Dance either. This team will not go 35-1 but might just Dance longer.

I agree that Cotton, FVV, and Baker together defensively are the best Shocker defensive 1,2,3 slot combined and just throw in offensively the best of all Shocker teams from those slots too combined. In less than a year, we can see just how successful this Shocker team will be. Somebody I know very close to the Program said "We will be very, very good." The experts All seem to agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                      My opinions are free but not always accurate. I think the 2017-18 Shocks are a whisker better than this very talented Baker, Cotton, FVV, Cle, team. While I would give an edge to the starters just mentioned, I would be inclined to believe I like the bench strength of this Season's team for the small overall edge. Close call indeed. Kentucky will not defeat us thrice at the Dance either. This team will not go 35-1 but might just Dance longer.

I agree that Cotton, FVV, and Baker together defensively are the best Shocker defensive 1,2,3 slot combined and just throw in offensively the best of all Shocker teams from those slots too combined. In less than a year, we can see just how successful this Shocker team will be. Somebody I know very close to the Program said "We will be very, very good." The experts All seem to agree.
                      No offense to Rob or Fred, but this team has a 6'5" point and another 6'6" swing who could have guarded the Harrison's pretty tough, just due to their size vs. our perimeter defenders in '14. I'm not including N. Wiggins because he wasn't on the court enough. I cite our game against the Wildcats last year as evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                        No offense to Rob or Fred
                        I don't know about Rob but I think one of the Harrison twins told Ron after the game that he was a bad, bad man.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          I don't know about Rob but I think one of the Harrison twins told Ron after the game that he was a bad, bad man.
                          Of course.

But I was agreeing with forevershockerfan that this version of the Shocks might be better than the '14 group, if nothing else, on the defensive side of the ball (and that's saying a lot!), because at the very least we can match up with big guards like the Harrisons, who had possibly career game/s against our perimeter D. Or, if you like, guards like M. Monk and De'Aaron Fox as evidence.

I believe this team has the potential to be better offensively as well, but they'll have to prove that. They'll have many opportunities to do so too.

Comment

• "The matchups we need to see right now in college basketball" - ESPN Sports

Myron Medcalf, ESPN Staff Writer
                            posted: 09/18/17

Sure, there are rivalry games that happen every year because of conference alignment. But there are others -- pitting brothers or old rivals who've gone their separate ways or two fan bases that cannot stand each other -- that we should see right now.

"The most disappointing element of college basketball's past decade has been the elimination of significant rivalry games.

Indiana and Kentucky never returned after Christian Watford's buzzer-beater at Assembly Hall in 2011. Yes, they met in subsequent NCAA tournaments, but we lost a great in-season series. Missouri and Kansas is done. Sad.

Georgetown and Syracuse have reignited their rivalry. Perhaps Patrick Ewing will rebuild Georgetown and restore the rivalry's value.

But lengthier conference schedules, competitive nonconference tournaments and more pressure to win all diminish the likelihood we'll see any new, meaningful rivalries emerge.

That won't stop us, however, from dreaming.

Here are some of the rivalries we'd love to see in college basketball:

1. Wichita State Shockers-Kansas Jayhawks

Yes, the state of Kansas deserves this. But college basketball does, too. Wichita State is now a premier program with six consecutive NCAA tournament berths, a Sweet 16 nod in 2015 and a Final Four appearance in 2013.

Gregg Marshall makes more than $3 million per year, elite cash in college basketball. And he'll take his team's talents to the American Athletic Conference in 2017-18, where a bigger spotlight could elevate the Wichita State program to the next level.

In 2015, the Shockers beat perennial power Kansas in the NCAA tournament. Both squads will enter this season ranked in the top 10.

Seems like a perfect climate to announce a rivalry.

But ...

"This isn't knocking Wichita State," Kansas coach Bill Self told The Kansas City Star four years ago. "But if it was best for our program, I would reach out to them about scheduling them. But it's not."

The truth is Kansas and Wichita State can stand alone. They don't need each other. Wichita State's fan base swarms arenas around the country throughout the season. They love their Shockers and that won't change.

And Kansas is, well, Kansas, one of the best programs of all time. You can't find three coaches in college basketball who can say their job is better than Self's.

But this is a request. Please, make this happen.

Wichita State-Kansas would give college basketball a boost every season. Fine, play at a neutral site. Do it on a playground. We don't care. Just want to see it happen...."

Others:
                            2. Louisville Cardinals-Minnesota Golden Gophers
                            3. Harvard Crimson-Northwestern Wildcats
                            4, Indiana Hoosiers-Arizona Wildcats
                            5. Maryland Terrapins-Duke Blue Devils
                            6. Gonzaga Bulldogs-North Carolina Tar Heels

Comment

• "This isn't knocking Bill Self," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program for him to call two of his remaining three timeouts before the first media timeout of the second half of an NCAA tournament game, he would. But it's not. But he did it anyway."

"This isn't knocking Bill Self, "Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program to recruit McDonalds All-Americans with absolutely no regard for character or the ability to learn, he would. But it's not. But he does it anyway."

"This isn't knocking Bill Self, "Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program for him to staple a remnant from Jabara's Carpet Outlet to his scalp, he would. But it's not. But he did it anyway."

"This isn't knocking Bill Self," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program for him to have an affair with a cheerleader, he would. But it's not. But he did it anyway."

"This isn't knocking the University of Kansas," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their medical school to steal Wichita State's, they would. But it's not. But they did it anyway."

"Wait," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "I suppose those are, in fact, knocks on Bill Self and KU. At least I can admit that mistake."

So, how has everybody else's summer been?! :D

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
                                "This isn't knocking Bill Self," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program for him to call two of his remaining three timeouts before the first media timeout of the second half of an NCAA tournament game, he would. But it's not. But he did it anyway."

"This isn't knocking Bill Self, "Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program to recruit McDonalds All-Americans with absolutely no regard for character or the ability to learn, he would. But it's not. But he does it anyway."

"This isn't knocking Bill Self, "Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program for him to staple a remnant from Jabara's Carpet Outlet to his scalp, he would. But it's not. But he did it anyway."

"This isn't knocking Bill Self," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their program for him to have an affair with a cheerleader, he would. But it's not. But he did it anyway."

"This isn't knocking the University of Kansas," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "But if it was best for their medical school to steal Wichita State's, they would. But it's not. But they did it anyway."

"Wait," Shockernet poster HockeyShock told the message board, "I suppose those are, in fact, knocks on Bill Self and KU. At least I can admit that mistake."

So, how has everybody else's summer been?! :D
                                I see your snark gland is in no need of a bionic replacement.
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                                X