No announcement yet.

2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granted, this comes from the UConn website, but gotta love the lead (I bolded the most interesting part, not that any of you wouldn't have picked it up!):

"Games against perennial national powers Villanova, Wichita State, SMU and Cincinnati highlight a 16-game home schedule for the UConn men’s basketball team for the upcoming 2017-18 season."

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/061917aaa.html
    Last edited by Bluzrover; June 19, 2017, 12:30 PM. Reason: Font

Comment

• Let me just say that all of you absolutely great hometown and near hometown Shocker fans, who have stuck with our program through the lean and now great years, truly deserve to be provided a tremendous upgrade in the talent and excitement that our new conference schedule will bring to Koch.

I've slightly altered the UCon comment to read: "Games against perennial national powers UCon, Villanova, SMU and Cincinnati highlight a 16-game home schedule for the Shockers men’s basketball team for the upcoming 2017-18 season."

Bring them all on, and never fail in the long run to admire the talents and skills of opposing BB players, as well as our own, as you will see a lot more of them in the years to come.

Comment

• UCONN complains about where they are at but they needed to drop football to make that happen.
        Why walk somebody in baseball when you can hit them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxcity View Post
          UCONN complains about where they are at but they needed to drop football to make that happen.
          Lew Perkins was the AD at UConn when they added FB. That guy really has a way with FB programs.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• UCONN simply doesn't fit the Big East profile. We aren't private or Catholic or dropping football within the next 10 years. Hell, even before UCONN transitioned from FCS to FBS, we always voted with the football-playing members. We were a "yes" vote to the addition of Penn State back in the 80's, but the Catholic naysayers won out. I guess you could call us a loner in the old Big East in that we really weren't considered a part of either clique.

As far as missing out on a good basketball schedule:

Our former conference rivals (Nova/Georgetown/Cuse) are missed, but we have ongoing OOC series with all three. Also, UCONN's 2017-2018 basketball schedule includes Nova, Wichita State, Arizona, potentially Michigan State, and potentially North Carolina. That could very well be the preseason top 5 next year. This UCONN fan is not complaining.

Comment

• That is a pretty salty schedule. Good for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                Let me just say that all of you absolutely great hometown and near hometown Shocker fans, who have stuck with our program through the lean and now great years, truly deserve to be provided a tremendous upgrade in the talent and excitement that our new conference schedule will bring to Koch.

I've slightly altered the UCon comment to read: "Games against perennial national powers UCon, Villanova, SMU and Cincinnati highlight a 16-game home schedule for the Shockers men’s basketball team for the upcoming 2017-18 season."

Bring them all on, and never fail in the long run to admire the talents and skills of opposing BB players, as well as our own, as you will see a lot more of them in the years to come.
                Hey, 60 -- do you know something about Villanova the rest of us don't? Not that Connecticut, SMU, and Cincinnati are a bad start, but I don't see Nova leaving the sort-of-Big East anytime soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
                  UCONN simply doesn't fit the Big East profile. We aren't private or Catholic or dropping football within the next 10 years. Hell, even before UCONN transitioned from FCS to FBS, we always voted with the football-playing members. We were a "yes" vote to the addition of Penn State back in the 80's, but the Catholic naysayers won out. I guess you could call us a loner in the old Big East in that we really weren't considered a part of either clique.

As far as missing out on a good basketball schedule:

Our former conference rivals (Nova/Georgetown/Cuse) are missed, but we have ongoing OOC series with all three. Also, UCONN's 2017-2018 basketball schedule includes Nova, Wichita State, Arizona, potentially Michigan State, and potentially North Carolina. That could very well be the preseason top 5 next year. This UCONN fan is not complaining.
                  I think UCONN fits the Big East profile more than the American, more in common with Villanova, St. John's and Georgetown as Northeastern institutions more than SMU, Houston, and UCF.

I'm not even trying to troll here, but why does UCONN even have football? Seriously. I'm assuming the school loses money, it is one of the hardest jobs in the country, and outside of that magical 2010 season not a lot of success.
                  Why walk somebody in baseball when you can hit them?

Comment

• It seems that when people say they aren't trying to do something that is exactly what they are doing and just trying to deflect the obvious. Kind of like hey I wasn't trying to start a fight but....

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxcity View Post
                      I think UCONN fits the Big East profile more than the American, more in common with Villanova, St. John's and Georgetown as Northeastern institutions more than SMU, Houston, and UCF.

I'm not even trying to troll here, but why does UCONN even have football? Seriously. I'm assuming the school loses money, it is one of the hardest jobs in the country, and outside of that magical 2010 season not a lot of success.
                      I don't want to make this thread UCONN-centric so I'll just reply with this:

If UCONN didn't upgrade football to FBS (or chooses to downgrade in the future), the Huskies and Shockers would almost certainly not be sharing the same conference. We will be playing each other regularly in a multitude of sports due to UCONN having an FBS football program. There will be many quality contests and for this reason, I think it's in the best interest of Shocker fans for UCONN to continue playing FBS football. :devilish:

Comment

I don't want to make this thread UCONN-centric so I'll just reply with this:

If UCONN didn't upgrade football to FBS (or chooses to downgrade in the future), the Huskies and Shockers would almost certainly not be sharing the same conference. We will be playing each other regularly in a multitude of sports due to UCONN having an FBS football program. There will be many quality contests and for this reason, I think it's in the best interest of Shocker fans for UCONN to continue playing FBS football. :devilish:
                        I think that works as a good answer. Makes alot of sense at least.

Comment

I don't want to make this thread UCONN-centric
                          I appreciate this sentiment. But it wouldn't be the first time a thread on SN got hijacked and went a completely different direction on a totally unrelated topic! And good on you sir for your response!

Comment

• Oops, my bad, WSUwatcher, thanks for catching it. I just altered the UCon comment and did not erase Villanova.

Comment

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Somebody reads Shockernet.

Comment

Working...
                                X