2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
    I just hope we don't fall into oblivion when VanVleet and Baker graduate.

Oh wait.
    Oh wait indeed. I love this post.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
      Yes, what would happen if we had a point guard that could get to the rim?
      We replaced the greatest PG of all time at WSU with a guy that could realistically get drafted after his Soph year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        We replaced the greatest PG of all time at WSU with a guy that could realistically get drafted after his Soph year.
        Which brings up an interesting question. What about guys like Landry (possibly), who have a huge impact on the program but don't stick around long enough to earn a retired number? In this era of one and dones, two and dones, etc., we could end up with a situation where the best players to have played for WSU don't have their names in the rafters.

So what about adding a NBA draft pick banner honoring the guys who brought success to the program and played for a year or two? I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but it may be something to consider in the future.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
          Which brings up an interesting question. What about guys like Landry (possibly), who have a huge impact on the program but don't stick around long enough to earn a retired number? In this era of one and dones, two and dones, etc., we could end up with a situation where the best players to have played for WSU don't have their names in the rafters.

So what about adding a NBA draft pick banner honoring the guys who brought success to the program and played for a year or two? I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but it may be something to consider in the future.
          isiah thomas led iu to a national champioship in his sophomore year and then left for the nba. is his name/number hanging from the rafters at assembly hall? i'll have to look that up, but i would expect he made the grade. shamet would have to do one **** of a lot to make the rafters at koch arena after his 2nd year and then off to the nba.

edit: still believe that shamet should have been mvc mvp last year as a frosh. led the league in three points made at the highest fg% plus led the league in astt to turnover ratio.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
            still believe that shamet should have been mvc mvp last year as a frosh. led the league in three points made at the highest fg% plus led the league in astt to turnover ratio.
            Landry could have led in Points, Rebounds, and A/TO and they still wouldn't have given a RSFreshman from WSU POY.
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
              Landry could have led in Points, Rebounds, and A/TO and they still wouldn't have given a RSFreshman from WSU POY.
              Thus why the Valley will be a 15-20 rank in future RPI listings.
              78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                Thus why the Valley will be a 15-20 rank in future RPI listings.
                Nah...they will remain in the 10-14 range, but they will take a big step back in points.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                  most valley observers outside of wichita kind of yawned at shamet. that's just one reason i'm glad we're out of there. no respect.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                    Nah...they will remain in the 10-14 range, but they will take a big step back in points.
                    Pretty optimistic. With WSU, the MVC finished 12th in RPI as a conference. The Valley was closer to being #19 than they were being #10. Valpo is good, but not WSU good, but their leaving the Horizon will drop them even lower, so the MVC will stay above them.

Probably no better than #12 and could be as low as #16.

Comment

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• #3 here. getting closer. should be #1. i want to see the person with the balls to call it. shockers bring the heavy lumber.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                          #3 here. getting closer. should be #1. i want to see the person with the balls to call it. shockers bring the heavy lumber.
                          Yep. And that guy even acknowledges if we weren't Wichita State we would be number 1. If we weren't Wichita State we would be a unanimous #1 for next season and the clear favorite to win the national championship. Really hope we can get a #1 ranking next season, that was one of the few things missing from the 35-1 team. Luckily we won't even have to be undefeated to get that #1 ranking next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                            Luckily we won't even have to be undefeated to get that #1 ranking next year.
                            I don't think a non-P5 school is going to be ranked #1 without being undefeated, unless all the P5 teams each have 4-5 losses. But of course, anything is possible.

And these are human polls, so that has to be taken into consideration, too. What I mean by that is humans are going to vote for teams that they like or are more familiar with, which might not necessarily be the better team.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                              I don't think a non-P5 school is going to be ranked #1 without being undefeated, unless all the P5 teams each have 4-5 losses. But of course, anything is possible.

And these are human polls, so that has to be taken into consideration, too. What I mean by that is humans are going to vote for teams that they like or are more familiar with, which might not necessarily be the better team.
                              Gonzaga was ranked #1 last year. Also, in the C-USA days, Cincinnati was ranked #1 all the time, often with 3 or 4 losses. And with the way the AAC is trending upward, I think we will get our due as a power conference eventually.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                                Pretty optimistic. With WSU, the MVC finished 12th in RPI as a conference. The Valley was closer to being #19 than they were being #10. Valpo is good, but not WSU good, but their leaving the Horizon will drop them even lower, so the MVC will stay above them.

Probably no better than #12 and could be as low as #16.
                                Just run the numbers. The Valley minus WSU last year still would have been 12th. Remove the WSU games and still twelfth. Remove WSU games and replace them with two losses to the #100 team in the country and they are 13th. Expect them to finish between 10 and 14 for the next four years.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X