2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wheathead View Post
    That ranking has got to help reassure the American that, yes adding WSU was a good decision.
    😎🏀😎

Comment

I think they know (knew) what they were getting. Win-win for EVERYBODY!!! Now we gotta BRING IT!!!!!
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxcity View Post
        Has a team ever had a league's highest pre-season ranking in their first year as a conference? Can't say I recall.
        I wondered about Creighton when they joined the Big East, but they (27th - receiving votes) were behind Marquette at #17. Incidentally, WSU was pre-season #16.

Comment

edit: Nope nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
            I think they know (knew) what they were getting. Win-win for EVERYBODY!!! Now we gotta BRING IT!!!!!
            that's why aresco got an immediate, well deserved, contract extension and raise- beacuse he added the shockers to the aac. that dummy guy from the mountain west laughed at wichita state in 2015. tsk tsk.. aresco, on the other hand, moved quickly to add wichita state, few questions asked.

the commissioner guy from the mwc poo-poo'ed the shockers before van vleet-baker senior year as if that's all there was to wichita state.. once they left, it's over.. back to mediocrity for them, he believed. he was short sighted. but then again, a lot of people thought the shox would tumble.

marshall really did something great last year, going 31-5 after the graduation of those two. that's what moved up shocker propects.. not just the final four from 4 years ago. it was last year that did it(!), post van vleet-baker. aresco moved quickly after that.. like a flash. 'left that mwc commisioner in the dust.
            Last edited by another shocker; May 17, 2017, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Preach ~ never doubt the power of wheat

Comment

Originally posted by ShannieShock View Post
                Preach ~ never doubt the power of wheat
                We got gluten!
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  We got gluten!
                  WuShock's only spoken words could be similar to Groot: "I am gluten"
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                    WuShock's only spoken words could be similar to Groot: "I am gluten"
                    😋

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                      I wondered about Creighton when they joined the Big East, but they (27th - receiving votes) were behind Marquette at #17. Incidentally, WSU was pre-season #16.
                      Another iconic history moment for us.
                      Why walk somebody in baseball when you can hit them?

Comment

"2017-18 College Basketball Preseason Top 25" - NBC Sports

Rob Dauster
                        May 22, 2017

"A couple of notes here:

• Final decisions on NBA Draft decisions won’t be made for more than a month. We’re making educated (some more than others) guesses on who will be doing what.
                        • We also make some educated guesses on where some of the remaining uncommitted kids will end up going to school.
                        • If there is a * next to a player’s name, it means we’re still waiting for official word on what his status will be next season.

Next season’s top 25 is awful uninspiring. There also isn’t anything close to a clear-cut No. 1 team, not with how much is still left to be determined through NBA Draft decisions, transfers and elite recruits picking a school.

1. Michigan State
                        2. Arizona
                        3. North Carolina
                        4. Kansas
                        5. Kentucky
                        6. Duke
                        7. Miami
                        8. Florida
                        9. Louisville
                        10. Villanova
                        11. Wichita State
                        • Who’s gone: No one
                        • Who do they add: Samajae Haynes-jones, Asbjorn Midtgaard
                        • Projected starting lineup: Landry Shamet, Connor Frankamp, Zach Brown, Markis McDuffie*, Shaq Morris
                        • The Shockers finished the season ranked in the top ten at KenPom, but ended up with a No. 10 seed in the NCAA tournament because they struggled to get used to each other early on in the season. With everyone returning from last year’s team, don’t be surprised to see Gregg Marshall’s team as a Final Four contender...."

Comment

"College basketball rankings: Arizona jumps Kansas for No. 1 spot in the Top 25 (and 1)" - CBS Sports

by Gary Parrish
                          May 22, 2017, 11:00am

Still holding at the previous ranking last week.

1. Arizona
                          2. Kansas
                          3. Michigan State
                          4. North Carolina
                          5. WSU
                          6. Duke
                          7. Louisville
                          8. Kentucky
                          9. Villanova
                          10. USC..."

Comment

Wow! This still kinda blows my mind. Look at all those "name" franchises.

I will say that there may have been a couple times (years) this past decade where I thought we should've been worthy of a high preseason ranking. Maybe not quite top-5 but moreso top-10. Particularly the undefeated season and seems like maybe one more year it felt like we should've been preseason top-10...I can't recall.

Anyways...good stuff!
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

#9 on Rothstein's preseason Top 25.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                                https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rot...8-may-edition/

#9 on Rothstein's preseason Top 25.
                                That sounds about right, fresh out of the blocks. Our rotation players could start games and we would not skip a beat. Jones is a solid shooter with good handles. Let's hope Austin is of good health. CJ should be ready to compete for more minutes this Season as well. I am eager to see A.M. play too. MM and LS will be among the best of the best players in the AAC and I am hoping Shaq has his very best results this Season. If our team defense keeps improving, we could possibly stay in the top 10 much of the Season. With all of our Seniors, look for us to peak at the very end when Dancing counts the most. I could see 3, maybe 4 teams from the AAC Dance this time around. We all wanted this new Conference opportunity and 'away we go' for an exciting Season to be remembered IMO.
                                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                                X