2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SWheatemotion View Post
    Never post on here, but can't believe the lack of support for the team. There are so many ready to write them off. True fans hang tough thru the success, and the difficult times, RANKED OR UNRANKED.Success of a team is not only the players, coaching staff, but the whole fan base. Negatively does not reflect well on SHOCKER NATION . Stand up and proudly represent. PROUD TO BE A SHOCKER FAN....RANKINGS DON'T MATTER!!
    Pretty sure I'm a supporter. Doesn't mean I have to be blind. I hope like hell we get back to being the mentally & physically tough team we were at the end of last season. Do I think we will? I'm optimistic by nature. How we play the next few games will tell us a lot.
    Last edited by IndianaShocker; January 22, 2018, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

My god you are the smallest man/child I've ever seen. You honestly think people care about your keyboard wars. You are giddy with the thought of continuing to think about a post 3 weeks later. You are more investing in trolling than the watching basketball.

Let me put it to you straight (and by you, I mean the rational posters reading this): this team hasn't proven it can beat a top 50 team in 19 games. 6 times in the last 10 games we've been behind at half, including to #270 Arkansas State. We've been forced to come back against such mighty powerhouses as California (#221), FGCU (#129), and Tulsa (#131). We've snapped every positive conception of our team:

"Wichita State is great at home" - Demolished by OU, SMU
      "Wichita State is great on the road" - Trashed by Houston
      "Wichita State plays great defense" - #55 in the country and continuing to drop
      "Landry Shamet is an all-American" - lost every "star" matchup so far; Colson/Young/Milton/Gray etc. etc. etc.

Now look at our schedule. Right now this is a 10 loss team. The team that played this week (and to be honest, 70% of this season) loses both games to Cincinnati by double digits, loses @ Temple, loses @ SMU, drops one of @Memphis, vs Temple, vs Tulsa and loses in the 2nd round of the AAC tournament to Houston/SMU.

That's 22-10, no top 25 wins, no top 50 wins unless Marquette or Houston makes it, 7-9 vs the top 100. That is the team I've seen all year, and it is a team that looks more like an NIT team than an 8 seed in the tournament. Don't believe, just look at last year:
      Team RPI SOS T25 T50 T100 Seed
      Wisconsin 32 83 3-4 5-7 14-9 8
      Northwestern 49 64 1-5 5-8 9-11 8
      Miami 42 41 3-8 4-10 8-11 8
      Arkansas 25 58 0-5 4-7 12-7 8
      Wichita State (2018) 31 39 0-3 0-5 7-9 TBA
      Illinois State 33 158 0-0 1-2 2-4 NIT
      Syracuse 84 63 3-4 5-8 8-9 NIT
      California 53 72 0-7 2-8 6-11 NIT
      Iowa 55 57 3-7 5-8 8-11 NIT

That is who I believe we are. We've struggled vs teams outside the top 50, and lost to those inside it. It took our best effort to beat the worst two teams in the Big 12. It took our best 3PT shooting of the year to beat Houston at home. Bad teams like Arkansas State can clown us for 20 minutes.

That isn't a top 25 team. That isn't an NCAA team. That is 2017-2018 Wichita State unless they improve significantly.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• https://twitter.com/sethdavishoops/s...59776[

Edit: Can't get link to work, but Seth Davis has us at 25. For whatever its worth.
        Last edited by Shocker-maniac; January 21, 2018, 10:04 PM.
        ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
          https://twitter.com/sethdavishoops/s...59776[

Edit: Can't get link to work, but Seth Davis has us at 25. For whatever its worth.
          He’s also the guy who says he finds it hard to root for WSU because he knows that somewhere, the Koch brothers happy.

Can’t take him serious anymore.
          The Assman

Comment

• I think we move to about #16 (+/- 2).

I think Cincinnati moves into the top 10.

Comment

• By Mark Berman, AP Voter

Posted: 01/21/18, 11:00pm cst

10. Cincinnati (17-2) moves up five spots after winning at UCF and beating East Carolina. Next: Wed. against Temple and Sat. at Memphis.

13. Oklahoma (14-4) falls 10 spots after losing at Kansas State and in OT at Oklahoma State. Next: the big game Tuesday against Kansas and a Sat. visit to Alabama for the Big 12-SEC Challenge.

20. Wichita St. (15-4) falls 13 spots after losing at home to SMU and falling at Houston. Next: Thurs. against UCF and Sunday against Tulsa.

Comment

• This forum really is your whole world, isn't it? But since you've made the effort to go back and try to "prove" something, let's look at that thread:

Fred getting owned right now.
                Cotton looks timid as hell.
                And that was some shitty defense right there.
                Where's the passion? Where's the fight? Just going through the emotions out there. We've played in bigger games than this.
                Switch to a zone for ****'s sake.
                How does a layup happen like that? God, that's awful.
                It is disturbing. No inside D at all whatsoever.
                Absolutely horrible offense.
                That was YOU. YOU are the one the melts down harder than anyone else. I understand the passion but I hate the hypocrisy. Stop telling people to, and I quote, "STFU. Moron." when you have more negative posts than any other poster on this forum (easily tens of times more than me). You've attacked the character, effort and skill of our players, the authenticity of our fans, the intelligence of our coaches. Over and over again, you take out your frustrations and try to get your thrills by becoming nasty and mean and winning keyboard wars.

To continue quoting the thread you decided to bring up:

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                Fever, ya gotta chill out.

Comment

• It's why they play the games guys. Too much "data" these days. Play the damn games and see who wins in the end.

Friendly example - who picked Wofford over North Carolina? Who picked Washington or AZ State over bubble U? Who picked Boston College over Duke? Etc. etc.....
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• The hot and cold teams in Elton Alexander's weekly AP Top 25 College Basketball poll vote continue to make an impact.

Number 10 in Alexander's ballot.

Comment

This forum really is your whole world, isn't it? But since you've made the effort to go back and try to "prove" something, let's look at that thread:

That was YOU. YOU are the one the melts down harder than anyone else. I understand the passion but I hate the hypocrisy. Stop telling people to, and I quote, "STFU. Moron." when you have more negative posts than any other poster on this forum (easily tens of times more than me). You've attacked the character, effort and skill of our players, the authenticity of our fans, the intelligence of our coaches. Over and over again, you take out your frustrations and try to get your thrills by becoming nasty and mean and winning keyboard wars.

To continue quoting the thread you decided to bring up:

shoxlax actually did me a solid and provided me the link. I don’t wanna steal his credit.

Theres a difference in calling a team out for the play during the game and then going off the deep end and saying they’re going to the NIT.

You can get mad all you want but history shows you’re unstable every time WSU loses a game. Not my problem.

How did that 2015 NIT go?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
                        Weird.

Somebody said we’re dropping out.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Which point do you disagree with?

1. There is a difference between losing by a few points and being 10 points down practically from tip off.
                          2. A fair number of pollsters will leave us off the ballot, giving us a lot of "0s" in the points column
                          3. We are closer to the NIT than an 8 seed in the tournament
                          4. The team needs to improve to even think about a run in March.
                          5. We've trashed our credibility.

My guess is that you take exception to number 3.

We are 15-4 without a single super quality win (best is vs fringe top 50 Marquette). We will finish somewhere between 29-4 and 21-10. That low puts us at 30-40 RPI, but with no quality wins. That's a highway to the NIT, and we are headed in that direction. The current level of play can do no better than that 21-10, because it will lose the four "major" games we have coming up, and at least 2 more (AAC tournament, drop another game at home). That is overwhelmingly the most likely outcome from what we've seen so far, and that puts us somewhere between a 9 seed and the NIT.

I can show you the numbers if you don't believe me.
                          2) There will be no more than 3 of the 65 pollsters leave WSU off the ballot today, and I'll be surprised if we see even 1.
                          3) That is just a really completely dead wrong thing to say and shows a total lack of historical understanding of the ebbs and flows of a season.
                          4) That is true, but really doesn't fit in with your other points.
                          5) No. No. No. Also, no.

According to RPIforecast:
                          WSU projects to finish 23-7 with an RPI of 18.
                          29-4 and the Shox are a 2 seed (at worst).
                          92% chance the Shox *enter* the AAC tourney with 22+ wins. That means about a 90% chance they enter selection sunday with at least 23 wins. They are more likely to be a 4 seed and wear white twice than they are to go to the NIT.

Your projections that "the current level of play", AKA, "the last 3 games" will continue for the next two months straight and is "the most likely outcome" is laughable and simply ignorant of historical patterns.
                          Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; January 22, 2018, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• shocks02
                            shocks02 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you. Some people needed this.

• By Rick Bozich, AP Voter

7. Cincinnati (17-2) — The Bearcats are good — and a reminder of the obscurity of the AAC.

11. Oklahoma (14-4) — Don’t be surprised if the Sooners lose at least two of their next five. Maybe three.

20. Wichita State (15-4) — Two home losses this season?

Comment

• BY LUKE DECOCK, AP VOTER

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/s...195904569.html

"and Wichita State clings to the 25th spot by its fingernails – but also because I can't find a compelling argument to put anyone else in ahead of the Shockers, who I still think can be a Final Four team but sure didn't look like it this week.

10. Cincinnati (15)

14. Oklahoma (5)

25. Wichita State (8)"

Comment

• Didn’t we used to have a separate thread called the CBB_Fan meltdown thread? Can we go back to that? That way we don’t have to read his doom and gloom in every thread.
                              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Working...
                              X