Landry = The Real Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
    Hot take: HCGM is maybe the best developer of guards in the history of college basketball. Name another guy that more consistently produced guards that could compete at such a high level nationally. If you can do that (which would be hard in and of itself), see how many of those coaches did it with the same level of recruit that HCGM has used.
    Jim Calhoun

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
      Jim Calhoun
      First one that came to mind was Kemba Walker. He was a top 20 player out of high school, so I'm not sure I classify that as the same level of recruit we've been getting.

Comment

El Amin. Kittles. Many more.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
          So is Ray Allen.
          Too true...or the athletic tour de force that was Reggie Miller.
          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I know yall like to keep yall team together for 4 years and all but yall are DELUSIONAL. You need to come to terms with the fact that Landry is NOT staying all 4 NOW. All he has to do is play like he played in that Kentucky game consistently all year next year and he is GONE after next year. Like someone said he will be on a good team and have to spolight on him. Not to mention he has legit coveted NBA attributes. Size at his position shooting and speed. The farther he takes this team next season the more likely he leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickwayne87 View Post
              I know yall like to keep yall team together for 4 years and all but yall are DELUSIONAL. You need to come to terms with the fact that Landry is NOT staying all 4 NOW. All he has to do is play like he played in that Kentucky game consistently all year next year and he is GONE after next year. Like someone said he will be on a good team and have to spolight on him. Not to mention he has legit coveted NBA attributes. Size at his position shooting and speed. The farther he takes this team next season the more likely he leaves.
              Delusional? Did you even read this thread before you posted in it? It is literally post after post talking about the high likelihood of Landry leaving early for the NBA.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by Nickwayne87 View Post
                If he takes us to a National Championship, he can go wherever the hell he pleases.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Call me selfish but I see Landry playing 4 years. And not cause he couldn't go league after his Junior year. Heck even after next year. Just a stoopid feeling....
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                    That play never happens if Landry doesn't have 4 fouls...
                    Or if Shaq was paying attention instead of turning around trying to help the ref do his job. Granted Bam, or whoever it was, was in the lane long enough to accumulate several parking tickets with no three second call.

Comment

Shocks are now getting noticed for the NBA. Nothing we didn't already know, but good to see him getting some credit for his skills.

NBA draft stock watch: Which tourney stars are rising and falling? Chad Ford

After one weekend of the NCAA tournament, Chad Ford shares the latest intel on all the 2017 draft prospects who helped and hurt their stock with NBA teams.

Landry Shamet, PG, Fr., Wichita State

Shamet made a strong impression on NBA scouts with a big game against De'Aaron Fox and Kentucky on Sunday. Shamet has really excelled since being moved to the point for the Shockers. He has great size for his position, plays quick off the bounce and is shooting 45 percent from 3 for the season. He projects even better when you dig deeper into the analytics. Scouts feel it's unlikely that he declares this year and haven't been as focused on him as a draft prospect. But several of them admitted he's a very intriguing point guard prospect and could be a potential first-rounder in 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                        Call me selfish but I see Landry playing 4 years. And not cause he couldn't go league after his Junior year. Heck even after next year. Just a stoopid feeling....
                        I know where you're coming from but I would genuinely be sad if any of our players - especially Landry with what I think is a single mother that has sacrificed a lot for him - turned down a first round guaranteed contract.

The kid fractured his foot and has a screw in it, and that is life-changing me and Mom never have to work again money. One random landing - or worse, a dirty play - and that could all go away.

There was a kid way back for Western Kentucky that was a guaranteed first rounder, returned for his senior year, blew out his knee, and never played a minute or saw a dollar of NBA money.

On a related note, this dynamic is why I don't understand why Shaq doesn't just f$&@ing sell out for 6 months, get stripped and ripped, dominate, and land a first round contract. As I've said many times, I watched DeJuan Blair at Pitt and for many years in person with the Spurs and I know for a FACT that Shaq has more tools and a higher ceiling than him.

Maybe he likes cheeseburgers and hates wind sprints, but there's a way to buy decades of fulfilling both those dynamics with about 9 months of work.

In fact I'd like to make an offer to Coach Marshall - send Shaq down to San Antone and sit my desk for 60 hours a week dealing with my crap. After 2.4 days he'll be knocking on your door asking for the keys to Cessna Stadium and spend the summer running stairs in a flak jacket, Fresh Van Vleet-style.

Whew. That escalated quickly. With thumbs on an iPad no less!

/endrant

Comment

"2017-2018 NBC Sports College Basketball Preseason All-American Teams" - NBC Sports

By Rob Dauster

Sep 26, 2017
                          Posted: 11:00 AM EDT

"LANDRY SHAMET, Wichita State, So.: Shamet would have been a third- or fourth-team all-american this year if there was more clarity about the foot injury he’s currently dealing with."

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                            "2017-2018 NBC Sports College Basketball Preseason All-American Teams" - NBC Sports

By Rob Dauster

Sep 26, 2017
                            Posted: 11:00 AM EDT

"LANDRY SHAMET, Wichita State, So.: Shamet would have been a third- or fourth-team all-american this year if there was more clarity about the foot injury he’s currently dealing with."
                            Multiple AZ and USC guys mentioned .. wonder if they will even play this year ...

Comment

"2017 ESPN college basketball preseason All-American teams" - ESPN

Jeff *******, ESPN Insider
                              Posted: 10/23/17, 7:52am CST

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...american-teams

Fourth Team
                              G: Landry Shamet, sophomore, Wichita State Shockers
                              The Shockers' talented guard could lay a claim to first-team honors, but he'll be coming off a broken foot that could hamper his play early in the season. Shamet is a well-rounded, lead guard who can score in a variety of ways and also set up his teammates.
                              Stats: 11.4 PPG, 3.3 APG

Comment

WICHITA — Sitting on the bench at Koch Arena, Landry Shamet focuses all of his attention on his two surgically repaired feet. Heel, toe, heel, toe, heel, toe. Shamet seesaws his feet up and down, stretching his ankles as he prepares to take the floor for the second half of a Nov. 13 game against...

Melanie Shamet, who raised her son as a single mother, was so nervous she could barely watch the game. She left Indianapolis proud, yet she did not dare discuss the game with Landry, and he never brought it up. He only speaks of the game when asked. “We didn’t win, and that’s how I look at it,” he says. “I could have done more. I’ve watched that game over and over and still get mad at the same plays every time.”

Shamet is so obsessed that he estimates he has watched the game 200 times. Many of the viewings took place while he was rehabbing his foot. He also asked Wichita State video coordinator Nick Jones to send him clips of every point guard in the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers’ new home.

“He does not like to lose, man,” says Darin Mason, who coached Shamet from the fifth grade all the way through high school in north Kansas City, Mo. “He’ll do whatever it takes.”

Comment

Working...
                                X