No announcement yet.

Landry = The Real Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing that stuck out to me during the game yesterday was I saw very little leadership from Landry. We had pretty good seats and I never saw him get fired up or try to rally the troops. I didn’t see him barking orders on the court. I saw very little emotion on his face the entire game. In fact, besides for Brown and Kelly (not that they had great games, I just saw them both get fired up from time to time) it was if the whole team was just going through the motions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
      One thing that stuck out to me during the game yesterday was I saw very little leadership from Landry. We had pretty good seats and I never saw him get fired up or try to rally the troops. I didn’t see him barking orders on the court. I saw very little emotion on his face the entire game. In fact, besides for Brown and Kelly (not that they had great games, I just saw them both get fired up from time to time) it was if the whole team was just going through the motions.
      You must have missed Reeves. He was vocal as they got into one huddle. Someone kinda grabbed him and calmed him down.

I am still waiting for Shaq. Its not too late big guy. 3 months left in your college career. Step up. Be vocal. Demand the ball!

Comment

• Jhook89
        Jhook89 commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re right. I honestly forgot about him. I do recall seeing Reaves get animated a couple times. I’d say my comment was mainly aimed at Shamet and Morris.

• I don't think Landry is even CLOSE to ready. I also am beginning to suspect he is not the real deal. I don't think this team has a legit NBA player right now. This is a team that is out of sync and lacks drive and fire. Is this the cost of trying to recruit better offensive players; we get worse defensive players?

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post
        I don't think Landry is even CLOSE to ready. I also am beginning to suspect he is not the real deal. I don't think this team has a legit NBA player right now. This is a team that is out of sync and lacks drive and fire. Is this the cost of trying to recruit better offensive players; we get worse defensive players?
        Remember, this is basically the same playes as last year.

BUT: Also remember, we have replaced half our coaching staff. The loss of Coach Jans or Coach Heiar alone would have been tough to overcome. Loaing both dealt a huge blow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Remember, this is basically the same playes as last year.

BUT: Also remember, we have replaced half our coaching staff. The loss of Coach Jans or Coach Heiar alone would have been tough to overcome. Loaing both dealt a huge blow.
          To me, this raises a question: how many of the returning players are playing better than they played last year? We came into the season believing we were going to be progressively better this year, but I haven’t seen anyone play better than last years version. Connor, Landry, Zach, Shaq, Rashaard (maybe), Austin, Rauno (maybe), Markis? I’m just not seeing improvement.

Comment

• Conor is the only one that has made marginal improvement. The rest, I see regression or stagnant growth.

Comment

• I personally think Austin has played better. Maybe not shooting % but his overall game and ball handling has been better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
                Conor is the only one that has made marginal improvement. The rest, I see regression or stagnant growth.
                Statistically, last year entire season compared to to-date this season, the shaded cells are where performance was better last year:
                17-18comparison.png
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• I still think Shamet is "the real deal". It's too easy to scout the Shox and adjust defenses to shut down Shamet this year. Shut down Shamet and what do the Shox have left? Brown will shoot if he's open. Defenses love that. Kelly won't even shoot it unless he's open within 10' of the basket. Makes it pretty easy to defend one guy.

Anybody remember Couisnard's Sr. year? That was Marshall's first year. Couisnard wasn't the same player as he had been the two years before that. I laid a lot of that on the coaching change. Couisnard lost the guy who had been his best friend and his "father figure" for 3 years when Turgeon left. I think the same happened with some of this year's Sr. class. Coaching changes don't just affect coaching.

I'm a little suspect of some of the D played by the second front court unit in practices. Shamet makes some ill-advised interior passes. A player doesn't just "know" what interior passes are going to work within a couple months of starting to need to be making them (converting a wing or combo guard to a PG). I think the passes that get intercepted in the post in games are working for him in practice. Passes he can make that get past Willis and Nurger might not be working in games. Especially when other teams know the plays and can sag off Brown and Kelly.

There are a lot of factors that can be negatives on Shamet's overall performance this year.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I think Shamet is as good as we ever should have thought he was.

He has two areas where he can improve:

Getting stronger with the ball against high pressure defense to ensure the defense pays for it.

Feeding the post

Comment

• And icing screens!

Comment

• This post shouldn’t be seen as a negative, but I really think another year would benefit from another year in college.

There are some things in his game that could use some work, and I think it would be better for him, long term, to work on them here rather than against grown-ass men in the NBA.

Remember, it took Damian Lilard three full seasons at Weber State to be ready, and he is now a perennial all star.

Also, it would give him a chance to be the true out-and-out leader on the team as he (along with Markis) would be the most experience player on the team and he could help the transition with all year new guys next season.
                        The Assman

Comment

• The top of the 2018 NBA draft is beginning to take shape. With March Madness right around the corner, The Crossover's Front Office dishes updated rankings and analysis of the top 60 prospects.

Comment

• If u look at his Kenpom numbers Shamet is having a slightly off year in the aggregate, but still a pretty good one. Against Tier A completion his numbers are almost the same as last year. He has really taken a hit in conference play - 113.6 (144 last year in MVC).

In general his numbers are about the same or slightly better except in one area - turnovers. His turnover % has climbed from 12.6% to 18.5%.

Comment

• This young man has been an inspiration, a terrific leader, and has given his all.

Wishing you the Best of luck, Landry which ever way you go.

Comment

• SweetShocker
                                SweetShocker commented
                                Editing a comment
                                His playing at present will get him about as far as Perry Ellis
                            Working...
                            X