No announcement yet.

Discussing Potential Future OOC Opponents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well thank goodness we are in the process of remedying the crap conference issue. Your desire to see us grovel will be moot at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
      It's not "whoring ourselves out" and I think HCGM is completely wrong.

But if he's ok with winning 30 games and potentially not making the dance unless we win the Valley tournament then more power to him.

We're NOT above taking a 1 and done buy game on the road, as much as you AND HCGM think we are. Our crap conference sees to that.
      Top 10 teams lose games on the road to elite teams, all the time. If we add two buy games, against elite teams, there's a very real possibility we lose both. Road games are really, really hard. This year? We lost neutral site games to good teams. Losing to a team like UK on their court in November wasn't going to help our resume this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
        Well thank goodness we are in the process of remedying the crap conference issue. Your desire to see us grovel will be moot at that point.
        Since when is trying to improve your schedule groveling?

My lord. Step off your high horse and realize that we need to improve our scheduling and this is the quickest way to do it if we stay in the Valley. Just complaining that "nobody wants to play us!" at the end of every season and bitching and moaning about our low seeding EVERY YEAR (the main reason being scheduling) doesn't seem be having an effect.

Comment

Oh, I thought you remembered our OOC SoS numbers in recent years. They were outstanding. This year was the anomaly. We were underseeded in those immediately preceding two years as well.

Taking a 1 and done buy game absolutely is whoring out and groveling since we are begging for a check in return for a visit. It is a shortsighted, dumb approach which thankfully Gregg has total disdain for.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
            Top 10 teams lose games on the road to elite teams, all the time. If we add two buy games, against elite teams, there's a very real possibility we lose both. Road games are really, really hard. This year? We lost neutral site games to good teams. Losing to a team like UK on their court in November wasn't going to help our resume this year.
            Why does it have to be "elite" teams like UK? Why can't we go on the road to Cincinnati or Saint Mary's one year?

Comment

Oh, I thought you remembered our OOC SoS numbers in recent years. They were outstanding. This year was the anomaly. We were underseeded in those immediately preceding two years as well.

Taking a 1 and done buy game absolutely is whoring out and groveling since we are begging for a check in return for a visit. It is a shortsighted, dumb approach which thankfully Gregg has total disdain for.
              lol then don't accept a check? Just pay your own way and expect to win. I'm not saying go to UK or Duke. I'm saying to go Wisconsin or Florida for a game. It's not shortsighted. It's smart when your conference is dragging you down.

Comment

Sweet Jesus, you want us to take a buy game to play at St. Mary's?

Bless your heart.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

This is the rub. Even if you are better, you will lose a true road game against a decent or better team most of the time. Losing a great road game does us no good and isn't worth the risk (I'm not being pessimistic, this is just the reality. There is a reason Syracuse beat a bunch of great teams AT HOME). If we get the return game the next year then it is worth the risk in the long run but a buy game just doesn't play well in a cost benefit analysis.

Comment

Sweet Jesus, you want us to take a buy game to play at St. Mary's?

Bless your heart.
                    OMG. It's just a road game. Not every time you go on the road does the other team have you pay you to do it. We're not Maryland-Eastern Shore or UMKC here. Do you not understand this?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                      Marshall really needs a twitter account.
                      I'm thinking that might be a bad idea. Marshall wears his heart on his sleeve too much. Not necessarily a bad thing to the average joe, but a potential liability to someone in the public eye.

Now if we could get a 3G twitter account, but have someone more dry, reserved and witty run it, that'd be great. Kellen would knock it out of the park.

Comment

OMG. It's just a road game. Not every time you go on the road does the other team have you pay you to do it. We're not Maryland-Eastern Shore or UMKC here. Do you not understand this?
                        This is what's called a home and home. Otherwise, yes, schools pay you to come to their fine town for a 1 time meeting. What you are advocating for is even dumber than a buy game (no return game, no check, nothing), which is saying a lot.

Comment

EFF THE CHECK!!! KICKING YOUR ASS ON NATIONAL TV IS ENOUGH!!!

I agree with not whoring ourselves out, but scheduling a game like the Memphis one-off (neutral court) would be perfectly okay.

Hell, we could play Duke in Charlotte, Kentucky in Nashville, UCLA at staples and call them "neutral court" for all I care.
                          The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post
                            This is the rub. Even if you are better, you will lose a true road game against a decent or better team most of the time. Losing a great road game does us no good and isn't worth the risk (I'm not being pessimistic, this is just the reality. There is a reason Syracuse beat a bunch of great teams AT HOME). If we get the return game the next year then it is worth the risk in the long run but a bye game just doesn't play well in a cost benefit analysis.

I guess we should just continue to schedule Long Beach St, South Dakota St and Southern Nazarene every year and hope we win the conference tournament. Sounds like a smart way to go.

I'd rather TRY and win a road game than waste a game against 227 kenpom ranked Long Beach St and 187 SDSt that does nothing for us either than inflate our win total.

Comment

This is what's called a home and home. Otherwise, yes, schools pay you to come to their fine town for a 1 time meeting. What you are advocating for is even dumber than a buy game (no return game, no check, nothing), which is saying a lot.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get people to play you. It's not dumb, but you can keep slinging around insults to try and get your point across instead of having an adult conversation. Does everyone here just resort to insults and calling people dumb when they don't agree with some other point of view?

Comment

I guess we should just continue to schedule Long Beach St, South Dakota St and Southern Nazarene every year and hope we win the conference tournament. Sounds like a smart way to go.

I'd rather TRY and win a road game than waste a game against 227 kenpom ranked Long Beach St and 187 SDSt that does nothing for us either than inflate our win total.
                                You might want to check the 5 year or 10 year average KP or RPI for South Dakota St. I think you'd be surprised. They're a fine home buy opponent, and really have little in common with the SCS and UMES games we all want to be rid of.

And LBSU showed up in the home court for something like 20% of this year's NCAA field. That's probably an exaggeration, but we were probably the 10th best team they played this year in their non-con. Also might be an exaggeration.

Comment

Working...
                                X