Discussing Potential Future OOC Opponents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussing Potential Future OOC Opponents

It's the down week, plus I cant sleep, so I thought I would start a filler thread about an always fun topic. It sucks that OU and MSU are having down years, but there are still obvious bunnies on the schedule. I know we will never get the likes of KU and Duke to play, but I think they should you the network Marshall and WSU has to get a shot at getting some pretty decent games

Say there are 8/9 home games a year, I think with teams WSU plays now, teams they have had series with, and with the friends WSU/Marshall have they could easy fill it out with some great opponents (This assumes no conference realignment, but we all would take that as well)

Current Series To Continue

OU - Yes they are having an awful year after their Final Four run, but Lon is a great coach and should be able to right the ship. 3Gs mentioned that he and Lon briefly spoke about extending the series beyond next year. It's a close travel for both teams. Both have basketball history. OU is in the BXII so that should never be a complete RPI killer. Seems like a no-brainer.

OSU - I don't know what the conversation has been like between Brad and Marshall has been like, but I would work as hard as I could to lock this series down for as long as possible. Underwood is a fantastic coach and will make OSU a great program again (much to KSU's regret). Same positives mentioned about OU apply here. Would be great.

Tulsa - This is more for nostalgia than anything. Tulsa has ebbed and flowed with success recently, but keeping an old school rivalry alive should still count for something. Unless something big time comes around (more on that later), this is probably on that is here to stay.

Past Opponents/Series We Should Revisit

Utah - As long as Krystkowiak is at the helm, Utah will be decent. Seems like that should be a bridge we should keep in operation

UNLV - Though I'm not exactly sure WSU ever had an official series with UNLV, it sure felt like it. UNLV may not be what it once was, but it sure beats South Carolina State. Plus, I can think of a lot worse things than traveling to Vegas for a weekend game!

Seaton Hall - The series was brief, but nice. Solid BE opponent. Opens up NY area recruitment. I's day that's a win.

Memphis - This series was even briefer. New regime, but it would be fun to see this game played somewhere besides South Dakota.

'Cuse - Remember that one time WSU played 'Cuse in the Carrier Dome and won? Wasn't that amazing? Though likely to be laughed at, I'd be more that happy to give them a second (and third) chance!

Michigan St - Remember that one time we scheduled MSU? Would be nice to ever see that happen again.

Depaul - Sorry, I had too. They follow WSU around so much at these tourneys that I feel we should throw them a bone... Maybe.... Could be worse...

(and the obvious) Creighton - I hate them. You hate them. Let that not cloud our judgment, we miss them and if they are honest with themselves, they miss us. Just make this happen so we could have a true rivalry again.

Old Friends and Faces - some of these aren't likely, but worth a phone call

Cal - The reason I didn't mention Tennessee in the previous section is because Cuonzo is now at Cal (and now Cal is better). Gregg and Cuonzo seemed to have a good rapport with on another. I think a series is possible.

Miami - This one is more of a reach, but we share that special Bracket Busters bond with Larranaga. Plus, I'd love a chance for WSU to get some revenge on full rest!

Texas - Again, a reach, but Shaka is struggling right now. Maybe a series with an old "friend" will remind him of where he came from and what made him successful.

SMU - nut-punching aside, Jankovich has kept the train running at SMU. He is in the MVC coaching fraternity, so who knows. Maybe Gregg has forgotten all about 2012. OK, probably not... but what the hell!

KSU - Another MVC coaching fraternity member, but one in our own backyard. I know this has been discussed at length before and there is no telling how much longer KSU will ride with Webber, but it would be great if Marshall could convince BW of a series. Maybe the "We are less of pu$$!3s than KU" argument could work.

Colorado - I know Doc said (thinks) that Tad wouldn't the most likely to schedule a series with WSU, but it would be good for the Buffs too. I know Tad is a KU guy, but he surely has a soft spot for WSU for the time he spent here. Maybe Gregg can butter him up in that regard.

Maryland - Surprisingly, Doc also said (thinks) Turg would be more inclined to set a series up under the right circumstances. If that is true, this would be a slam dunk, home run, no brainier. I believe, deep down, Turg regrets his time at TA&M. Not for his career path per se, but because he lost that special connection and passion at WSU. Thank God he did, but I'd welcome him back so he can reminisce on the fond memories of 2006.

Lost Connections

UCONN
    UCLA
    Purdue

I may be missing some, but I know these are a few teams that we've heard in the past that we were looking to schedule series with. I would take any and all of these and not think twice.

Make Friends with Similar Programs

Dayton - I know both teams were in Orlando last year. Maybe 3Gs and Archie did a little chatting. Would be a fun series with a very respectable program.

VCU - Gone is Shaka, but VCU is still relevant. Could have worse friends.

St. Marys - Hell, why not?

Xavier - This is more of a bonus. I know they are in the BE, but the reason I put them in this category is because they don't fit in any other. Also, when we were in Orlando last year I was speaking with some big-time X alumni who were more than impressed with the Shox and their support. They were going to get their alumni group to recommend to they AD to schedule a H/H series. Hasn't lead to anything yet, but would be great if it did.

Gonzaga - It's just too perfect that it will never happen. It's sad really.

THE BIG DADDY, GRAND SLAM, SLAM DUNK, GOLD MEDAL WINNING , SERIES

Kentucky - Now before you say how much of a long shot it is (It's huge), hear me out. If WSU has any chance to schedule a blue-blood, I believe Kentucky would be the best shot for one simple reason; Calipari. I think Calipari really respects WSU and REALLY respects Gregg after that epic heavyweight title match in the tournament. Hell, he was still talking about the Shox on Selection Sunday last year. If there was ever any slightest of possibilities of having the chance to schedule something with one of the bluest of the blue bloods, the Wildcats would be the answer.

----------

I know scheduling isn’t as easy as it sounds, but with were this program is and with all the connections it has out there, they should be able to fill out the schedule with some great opponents.

If the Shox train keeps on the course we all believe it will the rest of this season and next, hopefully teams will start begging WSU to play them.

What say you all?

---

Other Possiblities I Added Later

New Mexico
    San Diegio State
    Last edited by Shock Top; February 27, 2017, 04:16 AM.
    The Assman

I'm responding on about 6 hours of restless sleep, so my first inclination is that THIS is a great list...I'd like to add:
    -Nebraska...proximity, Big 10 School
    -Missouri....proximity, $EC school
    -New Mexico...big name in the past...average right now...

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
      I'm responding on about 6 hours of restless sleep, so my first inclination is that THIS is a great list...I'd like to add:
      -Nebraska...proximity, Big 10 School
      -Missouri....proximity, $EC school
      -New Mexico...big name in the past...average right now...
      I wouldn't want to play Missouri till they are a half way decent team. Like LSU this year even if WSU blows them out WSU would get no credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Fafhrd Mouser View Post
        I wouldn't want to play Missouri till they are a half way decent team. Like LSU this year even if WSU blows them out WSU would get no credit.
        Well, I guess I disagree to an extent...beating a bad LSU team by 30 is STILL beating a P5 school, whereas middling around with SCS does nothing excitement wise....

Comment

I would put all my focus into scheduling all P5 schools. This gives us a better chance to keep the RPI up. Schools like St Louis and Long Beach are just too unpredictable and have more downside than upside. Tennessee, Vandy, Iowa State, Iowa, etc. Focus on their Midwest/southwest P5 programs - places where we recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            I would put all my focus into scheduling all P5 schools. This gives us a better chance to keep the RPI up. Schools like St Louis and Long Beach are just too unpredictable and have more downside than upside. Tennessee, Vandy, Iowa State, Iowa, etc. Focus on their Midwest/southwest P5 programs - places where we recruit.
            Long Beach and South Carolina State were buy games. They don't compare to P5 and UNLV who would expect H/H games. St. Louis, and Tulsa are both H/H non-P5 games that could be improved. OU was an RPI bust and We didn't win against MSU (marginal RPI) Louisville(good), and OSU (good). We beat a bad RPI team in LSU but that was probably unavoidable because it was a tournament game. St. Louis is supposedly recruiting well so who knows if they'll be good in 2 years.

Comment

We probably don't have the luxury of having as many buy games. P5 power schools have the luxury of scheduling all cupcakes because they gets theirs in conference. We have to do more home and homes and take the excuses away from the committee.

Comment

I'm okay with taking one or 2 buy games from a blue blood if need be. Hell, fine go 1 at Koch for 2 away at this point. We need to play them. If we need to take our act on the road, so be it. I know, Im probably flying off the rails, and we set outselves up to lose those and be toast.

We just can't seem to win, and the reason is our effing conference.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I'd be curious to know about the financial side of losing a few home games a year in order to do road games vs a P5 team.

Comment

The last thing a P5 school in Marshall's strongest recruiting areas is going to do is give him a game there. Alabama appears to have been an exception to that.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I'd be curious to know about the financial side of losing a few home games a year in order to do road games vs a P5 team.
                      I'd happily pay the same amount for season tickets if that means playing the likes Xavier and Cal on the road, vs the likes of SCSU and UMES, at home. I'd feel like my money was going to a better investment opportunity.

Besides, down the road those teams would likely return games at some point so it's a net win.
                      The Assman

Comment

I'm gonna assume the P5's (outside of OU an OSU) will continue to want no part of the Shocks in the Non-Con, that being said:

We need to focus on 51-100 RPI caliber teams as we will have limited shots at #1-50.

Our MVC-MWC game worked out pretty good this year - I'd like to see Nevada, Boise, or UNM next year at Koch.
                        I could also see CSU for a short series, I understand it was discussed by 3G and LE.

I'd also like to see us dip into the AAC and schedule Houston, Cincy, Memphis or SMU for a cancellable Home and Home.

NM State turned out to be a good buy game in the past and they are OK again this year - call 'em up.

Hell, give Valpo, Winthrop and Forbes a call too.

Just need to avoid the 250+ RPI teams and we'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Triticum aestivum L. View Post
                          I'm gonna assume the P5's (outside of OU an OSU) will continue to want no part of the Shocks in the Non-Con, that being said:

We need to focus on 51-100 RPI caliber teams as we will have limited shots at #1-50.

Our MVC-MWC game worked out pretty good this year - I'd like to see Nevada, Boise, or UNM next year at Koch.
                          I could also see CSU for a short series, I understand it was discussed by 3G and LE.

I'd also like to see us dip into the AAC and schedule Houston, Cincy, Memphis or SMU for a cancellable Home and Home.

NM State turned out to be a good buy game in the past and they are OK again this year - call 'em up.

Hell, give Valpo, Winthrop and Forbes a call too.

Just need to avoid the 250+ RPI teams and we'll be fine.
                          I totally agree, and that's what we were going for:

LBSU, NDSU, and Tulsa all looked like good bets when we scheduled them. OU too.

OSU turned out better than anticipated. CSU was a win as was the exempt tournament.

St Louis was good when we set up the series but not now.

Two cupcakes and a D-II seemed reasonable.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

I wish that the MVC could partner with a couple other conferences like the A10 or WCC and agree to 2 or 3 inter-conference games a year based on tiers of conference finishes. So like WSU could get a couple games with top 3 or 4 teams from the A10 and same with the WCC or something like that.
                            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                              I wish that the MVC could partner with a couple other conferences like the A10 or WCC and agree to 2 or 3 inter-conference games a year based on tiers of conference finishes. So like WSU could get a couple games with top 3 or 4 teams from the A10 and same with the WCC or something like that.
                              Great idea!

Comment

Working...
                              X