WSU vs. Rambler Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
    The announcers acted like as soon as the opponent thrust one hand into the mix it was a tie ball. I don't know the letter of the law, but I expect two hands and a 50/50 ownership for a tie ball, and in this case AR's timeout beat that stipulation.
    It only takes one hand. That's why there are a fair number of jump-ball calls when a player goes up for a shot and the defender gets one hand on the top of the ball while it's still in the shooter's hands. Last night, I think Doyle did have one hand firmly on the ball when Reaves started calling timeout.

Comment

• I'm not as far anti-zone as some of you appear to be. Yes, I think it may have been left on a little longer than it should've been, but when Shaq was on the floor, our man to man defense was getting killed at the rim by the pick and roll. Had to do something to slow that down. Turns out what was needed was Shaq to be on the bench, but I understand the thought process behind switching over to the zone.
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
        I'm not as far anti-zone as some of you appear to be. Yes, I think it may have been left on a little longer than it should've been, but when Shaq was on the floor, our man to man defense was getting killed at the rim by the pick and roll. Had to do something to slow that down. Turns out what was needed was Shaq to be on the bench, but I understand the thought process behind switching over to the zone.
        I'm not anti zone. I am anti zone against a really good outside shooting team or when its become obvious that the zone isn't working.
        Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          It only takes one hand. That's why there are a fair number of jump-ball calls when a player goes up for a shot and the defender gets one hand on the top of the ball while it's still in the shooter's hands. Last night, I think Doyle did have one hand firmly on the ball when Reaves started calling timeout.
          That's a different scenario. Using one hand to block a shot and bring a player back down to the ground is a jump ball so that it is not a travel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            That's a different scenario. Using one hand to block a shot and bring a player back down to the ground is a jump ball so that it is not a travel.
            Different scenario, yes. Different rule, though? Not according to the officials last night, apparently. Otherwise, I agree it was an obvious mistake.

Comment

• I'd prefer to see Loyola on the opposite end of the Valley tournament bracket from us.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                Different scenario, yes. Different rule, though? Not according to the officials last night, apparently. Otherwise, I agree it was an obvious mistake.
                There actually is a different definition for a player in the air vs on the ground.

Jump balls in college basketball occur to establish possession of the ball, both at the beginning of the game and overtime periods.  However, jump balls no longer occur during other times in the ga…

A held ball occurs when an opponent places his hand(s): a. So firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness; or b. On the ball to prevent an airborne player from throwing the ball or attempting a try and both players return to the playing court with both hands on the ball or the airborne player returns to the playing court never losing control of the ball.
                No reasonable person would say that Loyola had enough of control that Austin could not obtain full control without undue roughness since he had full control of the ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                  I'd prefer to see Loyola on the opposite end of the Valley tournament bracket from us.
                  I'm sure Drake doesn't.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    I'm sure Drake doesn't.
                    That result may be one of the most mind-boggling of the short Valley season so far. I just don't want to have to deal with the possibility of Doyle/Jackson/Custer catching fire against us in the tournament. They're a step below ISUr in terms of athletes, but they can fill it up.
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                      I'm not anti zone. I am anti zone against a really good outside shooting team or when its become obvious that the zone isn't working.
                      Guess it's a matter of pick your poison if you're going to have Shaq on the floor at that point in time. You either give up open dunks or open three pointers. Under normal circumstances I'd rather have them shoot open threes than open dunks. They were definitely better shooters than what I would consider normal circumstances last night.
                      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• I thought it was a well played game. Smooth flow & execution.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                          I thought it was a well played game. Smooth flow & execution.
                          Agreed. Really enjoyed the game. I could have stood to be more bored, but spice of life and all.
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
                            Loyola is good, but WSU's zone defense made that a game. You can't give wide open looks to an efficient offense. HCGM kept changing personnel as if they were the problem instead of changing back to man to man....until it was almost too late.

We go back to man and the lead stretches. There is no mystery here.
                            Illinois State has struggled against zone this year. I felt we played so much of it because we were practicing our zone for that game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                              Illinois State has struggled against zone this year. I felt we played so much of it because we were practicing our zone for that game.
                              I had considered this idea this morning. Not sure if I have convinced myself of it or not. I wasn't going to say anything :)

Comment

• Marshall's Fresno zone is not an easy zone to learn and it's even more difficult to play. Most of us know zones as easy defenses....guard your area.

This is much more complicated than that, and I believe, FAR more difficult to learn than his man to man. It will take some time. It can be very effective against the best of teams, but it sure wasn't last night.

They'll get better.

Comment

Working...
                                X