WSU vs UNI game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockers5150 View Post
    I think Marshall was wrong about Shaq on Sunday. I thought he played well for the time he was in... he just didn't get some shots to fall. He could be DOMINANT in this league if he stays on the floor. Part of that is Marshall. This pulling him with 2 fouls is silly... he's not using him in the 2nd anyway, so why not just leave him in? He's smarter than I am, I get it but Shaq is who he is... take the good, live with the bad?
    Marshall is wrong a lot, you are right. We should kick his azz to the curb.

Comment

I think Marshall was wrong about Shaq on Sunday. I thought he played well for the time he was in... he just didn't get some shots to fall. He could be DOMINANT in this league if he stays on the floor. Part of that is Marshall. This pulling him with 2 fouls is silly... he's not using him in the 2nd anyway, so why not just leave him in? He's smarter than I am, I get it but Shaq is who he is... take the good, live with the bad?
      3G's policy of sitting a player with 2 fouls in the 1st half really isn't exclusive to Shaq. It pretty much applies to everyone as far as I can tell. Seems to be a hard an fast rule with 3G.

Fortunately, we have the depth to deal with it this year. We had 6 players with 2 fouls in the 1st half against UNI. The only one who did not come out of the game was Zach Brown who played the final 1:26 of the half after picking up his 2nd foul.

Markis McDuffie picked up his 2nd with 11:53 reamining and only played 6 minutes in the 1st half.
      Darral Willis picked up his 2nd with 11:18 remaining and only played 6 minutes in the 1st half.
      Shaq Morris picked up his 2nd with 8:38 remaining and only played 6 minutes in the 1st half.
      Rauno Nurger picked up his 2nd with 5:34 remaining and only played 7 minutes in the 1st half.
      Eric Hamilton, who subbed in after Rauno got his 2nd foul, picked up his 2nd foul with 1:37 after only 4 minutes of play.
      Zach Brown picked up his 2nd foul with 1:26 remaining and finished out the half playing 12 minutes.

Daishon had 3 of the Shockers 9 fouls in the 2nd half. Markis with 2 ended up with 4 for the game and only played 16 minutes. Darral and Shaq only picked up 1 foul each in the 2nd half but Rauno playing 16 minutes in the 2nd half had a lot to do with that. Darral played 11 minutes in the 2nd half but Shaq only played 1 minute.

How much Shaq's bench time in the 2nd half was due to 3G being upset with Shaq and how much had to do with riding the hot hand in Rauno is hard to say. Either way Shaq needs to respond accordingly.

Clearly, 3G likes to maintain maximum flexibility and margin for error for the 2nd half and with his team leading at half time as often as not that approach certainly has some merit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ol skool View Post
        Nurger was hot Sunday. Marshall rode the hot hand. That is all.
        I agree that GM rode the hot hand with Nurger but "that is not all". From the statements that Gregg made after the game, and other comments he has made when Shaq got hurt GM is definitely trying to challenge Shaq's manhood. I do think that he will continue to have a long rope with Shaq and not write him off. However, Gregg will continue to speak to Shaq by not giving him as much playing time as Gregg would otherwise award him. Gregg will not write him off but will continue to push Shaq's buttons in games and in practice until he sees a change of behavior. With Darryl and Rauno playing good minutes, Gregg will expect Shaq to earn his playing time. This is Gregg's MO on how he deals with players. He holds them accountable.

Comment

• Also Coach did say in post game that the game had that "don't touch me" aspect to it from the refs. Sure ShaQ seems to need that extra kick in the butt motivation from coach time to time...but he also probably felt the way the calls were going that he might as well sit ShaQ.
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
            Also Coach did say in post game that the game had that "don't touch me" aspect to it from the refs. Sure ShaQ seems to need that extra kick in the butt motivation from coach time to time...but he also probably felt the way the calls were going that he might as well sit ShaQ.
            This was Darral and Daishon's first taste of the UNI flophouse. They typically don't foul a lot but they were suckered into a couple cheap fouls. I don't think this will happen to them again now that they've been through it. Learn and move on.

Comment

I think what 3G didn't like was Shaq making a fall away move and falling to the floor and laying there. I know he was screaming at Shaq to get up the SECOND time it happened.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                I think what 3G didn't like was Shaq making a fall away move and falling to the floor and laying there. I know he was screaming at Shaq to get up the SECOND time it happened.
                Also if you go back to the pic someone posted of Landry's steal and dunk you will see a couple of players hauling ass after him to get a putback if necessary. One was Reaves, the other was a big guy. Hint: it wasn't Shaq.
                Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I know it's been discussed but holy cow was this an impressive display of athleticism by Landry on the fast break. There aren't many guards in the country capable of doing this.
                  I can't say for sure of course, but the apparent lack of effort by Shaq probably did not sit well with 3G in this instance.
                  Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Just looking at the scoreboard --18-17. That was the last time UNI had the lead.

Comment

• Shaq, the day after his contusion, played a very good game against OU. I believe he had six points, 5 rebounds, and 5 blocks in about 20 minutes. If we could only play all of our games in Oklahoma, he'd be motivated.

Comment

• Watched the replay of the UNI game.

Austin was 2 for 6 from the field. Three of those misses came attacking the basket. I think a case could be made that he was fouled on all 3 of those plays. I found myself wondering if he was the preseason pick for Valley POY if he may have gotten those calls.

I suppose those drives do show that Austin does need to work on his upper body strength but we already knew that. Maybe if he is stronger the oppsoition will really have to hammer him to knock him off course.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 10, 2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• I watched the replay too. I marvel on how well we pass and how our spacing on offense is rarely a problem. No wonder Ggg's teams are so efficient.

Comment

• The 65 possessions in the UNI game were the lowest of the year. As noted by @shockmonster: above, we were tremendously efficient on offense.

Comment

• Clearly a foul on Rashard.

#Janssen'd

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Clearly a foul on Rashard.

#Janssen'd
                                I want to know what Rauno is about to do in this photo. Probably none of my business.

Comment

Working...
                                X