16-17 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    If I read another post claiming a record of 25-5 isn't good enough for an at large bid for Wichita State.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      I'm not sure where you get 7-10 quality wins on the rest of our schedule? CSU, OU, OSU .... I don't see any team in the Valley being a Quality win at this point. Maybe UNI? If we beat them 3 times would they really be a quality win .. probably not.
      UNI and the Oklahoma schools are potential top 50 RPI wins. The number 3 and number 4 valley teams might end up just on the right side of 100 (100+ is worthless), same with CSU. Run the table and we have something between 3 and 7 top 100 wins based on what we know now, and 1-3 top 50 wins. The other potential top 100 win is LSU, which is unlikely but still in the realm of plausibility if they win a few unexpected games in the SEC.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
        UNI and the Oklahoma schools are potential top 50 RPI wins. The number 3 and number 4 valley teams might end up just on the right side of 100 (100+ is worthless), same with CSU. Run the table and we have something between 3 and 7 top 100 wins based on what we know now, and 1-3 top 50 wins. The other potential top 100 win is LSU, which is unlikely but still in the realm of plausibility if they win a few unexpected games in the SEC.
        While very true, if we beat UNI 2-3 times, I'm not sure where they end up with quality wins to bump their RPI up.

Comment

While very true, if we beat UNI 2-3 times, I'm not sure where they end up with quality wins to bump their RPI up.
          Yep. That's why the quality loss method is clearly the preferred way to go, or so says the selection committee.

Comment

If I read another post claiming a record of 25-5 isn't good enough for an at large bid for Wichita State.....
            If we have an RPI of 50 and lose in the MVC tournament, we will be going to the NIT, no matter if that means a record of 23-7 or 25-5. If we are 25-5 and have an RPI of 30 or 40 we will be safely in. If we played in a play-in game last year at an RPI of 50 with Van Vleet's injury and Conner's transfer, an RPI of 50 puts us on the wrong side of the bubble this year. I will always assume the bias at the Selection Committee will go above and beyond to screw us, as they have consistently seeded us at least a full seed line low every year we haven't gone undefeated into the tournament.

For the record, 25-5 is projected to have us at 39 and 24-6 would leave us 48. But that could change dramatically for better or worse over the course of the season, but as of right now 25-5 would have us safely in the tournament if we could skip the MVC tournament and head straight into Selection Sunday.

Comment

• Someone please enlighten me as to the date on the calendar that we WSU fans can begin to worry that we have nobody left on the schedule that offers a decent win. The non-con schedule is 61.5% over for WSU. Yes, there are 3 remaining games that offer potential...but then we enter MVC play...where there are exactly zero quality wins to be had unless UNI shoots 75% from 3 against UNC. Only Missouri St and Illinois St have anything left on their schedule to improve their status. WSU has the most opportunity of anyone. I'm sorry, but the non-con is the only place the MVC can gain any respect, and it hasn't happened this year. So, unless someone has a magic formula where the Valley doesn't completely suck....time is running out for the MVC to gain the needed wins to make it where 18 conference games don't only offer bad losses.
              -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

• I'll answer it myself. Dec 17. WSU will have played all 3 of its marquee games by that point. If WSU goes 3-0 in those contest, I will still be talking about RPI and prospective seeding, but from the other side of the coin.
                -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

Yeah this is horrible to watch. I know UNI is without Lohaus but still.....awful.

Without Koch they can't rebound at all. Mason isn't big (or good) and they're just killing them on the boards.

Plus UNI runs back on d and doesn't contest offensive boards almost ever.

UNI can't lose this game.....but if they do, they'll still be alive for an at large.
                  This made me look up something. UNI only averages 6 OReb per game (5-7 in each of the last 5 games, only 38 total for the whole year) ... that's pretty crazy. In comparison, WSU is getting 13 a game.

Comment

This made me look up something. UNI only averages 6 OReb per game (5-7 in each of the last 5 games, only 38 total for the whole year) ... that's pretty crazy. In comparison, WSU is getting 13 a game.
                    They always do this. It's part of the gameplan, has been for years. Methodical offense with a driving PG surrounded by a couple shooters and a couple floppers, I mean post players. On a shot they immediately run back to set up the pack-line defense. They generally have one of the lower OffReb% around. And a VERY low OffReb% compared to like teams (Top 100). It's hard to argue that the results haven't been pretty good. Doesn't make if fun to watch though.

Comment

What's your reasoning to believe they would get in? Genuinely just want to know your stance.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                        If we played in a play-in game last year at an RPI of 50 with Van Vleet's injury and Conner's transfer, an RPI of 50 puts us on the wrong side of the bubble this year. I will always assume the bias at the Selection Committee will go above and beyond to screw us, as they have consistently seeded us at least a full seed line low every year we haven't gone undefeated into the tournament.
                        This. We were top 20 the week before we lost to UNI, but after we lost to them, in what was considered a bad loss, we were adjusted, in most peoples eyes, to being squarely on the bubble.

Never mind that UNI had beaten N. Carolina (#1), I. State (highly ranked), and US on our home court. Good loss was never even a consideration, for whatever baffling reason. I chalk it up to "Fake news."

Comment

• If I may...
                          1. - The overall record of 25 wins and only 5 losses.
                          2. - The name Wichita St.
                          3. - The coach Greg Marshall.

I agree 25 wins gets us in but I don't know if this team can win 25 games and only lose 5. It's possible and we'll all hope. We shall see...
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• 6 losses is definitely the max.

Comment

• Is it possible to block individual threads so you don't see new posts? I know I can block individual posters.

This would be an outstanding feature. Or we could stick to discussing games of interest here instead of at large likelihoods/scenarios.

Just spitballing.

Comment

Add to that a tempo that is about the slowest in D1. That's not necessarily a bad thing as Virginia is the slowest and they are outstanding, and WSU has had some slow tempo teams when they've been great.

But that was as miserable a game as I've seen in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X