Shocker Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    Didn't they say last year that they held practice before hand? I remember some players saying their legs were tired after the dunk competition because of practice
    I think that is a common occurrence. However, that doesn't mean the Madness Event doesn't count toward the 4-hour daily limit and 20-hour weekly limit on countable activities.

A countable athletically related activity is any activity with an athletics purpose involving student-athletes that occurs at the direction of or supervised by one or more institutional coaching staff members (including strength and conditioning coaches).

I'm sure 3G considers those the most valuable 20 hours of his week especially with a relatively young team incorporating so many new pieces and looking to replace unparalleled exerience and leadership.

I'm sure 3G considers using 10% of his weekly limit is a big deal.

P.S. I could be wrong about this, maybe there is a carve out but I haven't found that if there is.
    Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 18, 2016, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post
      You forgot the biggest Shockernet cliche of all: the self-righteous asshole.

Wait, no you didn't.
      Well you showed up for your bimonthly, baselessly condescending, ****-talking visit, so thankfully we have that covered.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        Well you showed up for your bimonthly, baselessly condescending, ****-talking visit, so thankfully we have that covered.
        You're right. I should only show up once in a while, have my post be **** talked about, then leave.

I mean, it's obviously what you would do. Right? That, and completely stay out of discussions that have nothing to do with you.

When I think of a poster with a moniker as deep as SHOCKvalue, those are two qualities that immediately come to mind. Oh, and buggery.
        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

[QUOTE=rjl;671742]You forgot the biggest Shockernet cliche of all: the self

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My bad. I thought we were talking about this guy.

Comment

Coach should just hold an open practice and scrimmage and take what little expectation of "Madness" there is out of it. It has been "Shocker Blandness" to date, because it is half dog/half monkey. Alternatively, hire Garth Brooks, the Gap Band and Kendrick Lamar for a 30 minute set and run Austin Fireworks out of gunpowder and do it on a Friday night.
              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Hey, I love the idea of an open, no-frills practice. They can remove all the sparkle they want--if it means bigger salaries for the assistant coaches, they can have it in the dark for all I care.

I'd just love to be able to attend.
                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

I agree with Bobb.

Every year I hope they will just do a full scrimmage that follows normal game day introductions.

Everything else has limited value for the fans, coaches, and players. More importantly, everything else comes off as cheesy.

A scrimmage is one more step towards young guys acclimation to live action in front of thousands of fans.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    I think that is a common occurrence. However, that doesn't mean the Madness Event doesn't count toward the 4-hour daily limit and 20-hour weekly limit on countable activities.

A countable athletically related activity is any activity with an athletics purpose involving student-athletes that occurs at the direction of or supervised by one or more institutional coaching staff members (including strength and conditioning coaches).

I'm sure 3G considers those the most valuable 20 hours of his week especially with a relatively young team incorporating so many new pieces and looking to replace unparalleled exerience and leadership.

I'm sure 3G considers using 10% of his weekly limit is a big deal.

P.S. I could be wrong about this, maybe there is a carve out but I haven't found that if there is.
                    https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/f...e-Document.pdf
                    10%? 30 minutes would be 2.5%.
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I have been trying to rachet down my expectations for this Shocker team heading into Shocker Madness. When I see what Fred and Ron have been doing at the NBA level I am thinking how in the world are we going to replace that? The answer is we aren't.

Clearly we will not be as good at either the point or at the shooting guard position. Can we be good enough? Yeah, I think so. I hope so. But expecting this group of guys to step into Fred's and Ron's shoes is just asking the impossible IMHO.

That said I think it will be interesting to see how 3G retools this team. He certainly seems to have the raw material to work with.

Will it be point guard by committee or will someone separate from the pack? Some interesting options but again some huge, huge shoes to fill. Conner, Daishon and Austin just need to be themselves and not try to do the impossible and become Fred. Do what they do well. J.R. should be able to provide some stability if needed and perhaps some Cam Ledford type leadership.

Landry also has a ton of hype to live up to. No reason to think he can't do it but we have to remember he is still a redshirt freshman with only 37 minutes of D-1 game competition under his belt and starting out with a busted nose coming off a medical redshirt year.

Shaq can be better and it sounds (and to me looks) like he is in the best condition he as ever been in. If he can stay on the floor for 20 to 25 minutes a game he can do some major damage.

I think Darral has the potential to equal or exceed what Anton Grady gave us. Of course, he has an experience deficit to make up at this point but he isn't plagued by the bad knees that Anton had to deal with not to mention the spinal concussion he dealt wtih last year. I have my fingers crossed that we will be comparing to Darral favorably to Carl Hall sooner than later.

Can Rashard Kelly step his game up? Can't question his desire and effort but seems like the game just moves a bit fast for him at times. Hopefully, he will show signs of the game slowing down this year. He has a man's body.

Also time for Zach Brown and Conner Frankamp to live up to their potential and promise on a consistent basis. Become "every day players" as 3G likes to say. We need to know what we can count on them to bring each game. For Zach I think that is an all-around game including outstanding defense. For Conner that means consistently taking and knocking down his shots when he gets them.

Will Rauno, Eric and Brett be able to step into the post adequately if and when needed? Rauno has shown he can do it. Are Eric and Brett capable of giving us anything other than mop-up minutes? Maybe we won't need that from those two guys.

Will Markis McDuffie earn the nickname "Cle Who?". He as the potential to do just that at some point in his Shocker career.

This is really going to be quite an interesting year. I am very much looking forward to seeing how this team develops while still bit apprehensive about how much Fred and Ron might be missed.

Should be fun. A lot of potential along with a lot of question marks.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 18, 2016, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                        10%? 30 minutes would be 2.5%.
                        Not sure exacty what all they are required to count but with the locker room discussions (if any), introductions and other formalities, 3-point contest, slam-dunk contest, warm-ups and scrimmage it could be 2 hours of time couldn't it? Perhaps a bit long but an hour and half (7.5%) certainly would be a reasonalbe guess would it not?

Are you saying they only have to count the time that they scrimmage?
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 18, 2016, 06:59 PM.

Comment

If Eric Hamilton can stay on the floor he is capable of doing some damage. Look what he does to his fellow team mates in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            If Eric Hamilton can stay on the floor he is capable of doing some damage. Look what he does to his fellow team mates in practice.
                            The only question is will that damage be to the opponent or to his teammates.

Doesn't hurt to have an enforcer as long as he knows the difference between come here and sic 'em.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 18, 2016, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Perhaps WSU should rename it to more properly reflect what it is and lessen the tendency of fans to compare WSU's public scrimmage with the big productions at KU and UK, etc. IIRC UK spends about 75% of their recruiting budget on their Big Blue Madness.

Perhaps WSU should just re-brand it as the Shocker Preview and avoid implying it is any more than what it is.
                              Great idea, here's a few suggestions

The Not-So Mad, Shocker Madness

Shocker Madness for Minimalists

Tiny Shocker Madness

The Annual "This Ain't No Circus It's Shocker Basketball" Event

Green Shocker Scrimmage - In an effort to reduce our carbon footprint we don't have motorcycles, fog machines or spotlights. We ask for your cooperation by reducing your methane gas emissions at this event.

Shocker Scrimmage for Early Risers
                              "We'll get you home before your bedtime."

Love, Peace & Shockers

Mozart & Shocker Basketball
                              "Watch some Shocker hoops while we play your classical music favs"

Shocker Madness
                              "We don't call it that for it's crazy entertainment value. It's because our lack of planning and attention to detail is enough to make you mad."

Low-Grade Shocker Madness

Dysfunctional Shocker Madness
                              Last edited by Shocker-maniac; October 18, 2016, 08:01 PM.
                              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

I have been trying to rachet down my expectations for this Shocker team heading into Shocker Madness. When I see what Fred and Ron have been doing at the NBA level I am thinking how in the world are we going to replace that? The answer is we aren't.

Clearly we will not be as good at either the point or at the shooting guard position. Can we be good enough? Yeah, I think so. I hope so. But expecting this group of guys to step into Fred's and Ron's shoes is just asking the impossible IMHO.

That said I think it will be interesting to see how 3G retools this team. He certainly seems to have the raw material to work with.

Will it be point guard by committee or will someone separate from the pack? Some interesting options but again some huge, huge shoes to fill. Conner, Daishon and Austin just need to be themselves and not try to do the impossible and become Fred. Do what they do well. J.R. should be able to provide some stability if needed and perhaps some Cam Ledford type leadership.

Landry also has a ton of hype to live up to. No reason to think he can't do it but we have to remember he is still a redshirt freshman with only 37 minutes of D-1 game competition under his belt and starting out with a busted nose coming off a medical redshirt year.

Shaq can be better and it sounds (and to me looks) like he is in the best condition he as ever been in. If he can stay on the floor for 20 to 25 minutes a game he can do some major damage.

I think Darral has the potential to equal or exceed what Anton Grady gave us. Of course, he has an experience deficit to make up at this point but he isn't plagued by the bad knees that Anton had to deal with not to mention the spinal concussion he dealt wtih last year. I have my fingers crossed that we will be comparing to Darral favorably to Carl Hall sooner than later.

Can Rashard Kelly step his game up? Can't question his desire and effort but seems like the game just moves a bit fast for him at times. Hopefully, he will show signs of the game slowing down this year. He has a man's body.

Also time for Zach Brown and Conner Frankamp to live up to their potential and promise on a consistent basis. Become "every day players" as 3G likes to say. We need to know what we can count on them to bring each game. For Zach I think that is an all-around game including outstanding defense. For Conner that means consistently taking and knocking down his shots when he gets them.

Will Rauno, Eric and Brett be able to step into the post adequately if and when needed? Rauno has shown he can do it. Are Eric and Brett capable of giving us anything other than mop-up minutes? Maybe we won't need that from those two guys.

Will Markis McDuffie earn the nickname "Cle Who?". He as the potential to do just that at some point in his Shocker career.

This is really going to be quite an interesting year. I am very much looking forward to seeing how this team develops while still bit apprehensive about how much Fred and Ron might be missed.

Should be fun. An lot of potential along with a lot of question marks.
                                Seeing these questions answered will make for a fun season!
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X