Shocker Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    He had the look of a leader last night. Its his team. I saw him coaching on the floor after a play.
    He had the sound of a leader too. In the various player interviews, McDuffie was the guy who sounded like he knew what the team needed and how to get it.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• As crazy as it sounds, McDuff might have a real shot to get drafted after this year. The NBA loves young tall athletes that have shown just enough of a glimpse that they can play. He could be a legit 2 or 3 in the NBA at his size.

Comment

• I did not see the scrimmage, and while reports on Nurger and Kelly are encouraging, I'm somewhat concerned that they looked good because Shaq sat out and they were beating up on lower level competition. i.e. They are all mediocre, so the best mediocre player looked high level.

Anyone that was there want to comment?
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
          I did not see the scrimmage, and while reports on Nurger and Kelly are encouraging, I'm somewhat concerned that they looked good because Shaq sat out and they were beating up on lower level competition. i.e. They are all mediocre, so the best mediocre player looked high level.

That's not the impression I got but I suppose it's a possibility. I lean strongly towards no because we saw Nurger improve last year against some solid competition, Willis did the same stuff that impressed me in Canada (rebounds, deflections, physicality, ran the court, etc) and Rashard has been here three years and shown he is a solid player despite his difficulty finishing at the rim at times. IMO those three plus shaq are more than capable of providing a solid post rotation this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
            I did not see the scrimmage, and while reports on Nurger and Kelly are encouraging, I'm somewhat concerned that they looked good because Shaq sat out and they were beating up on lower level competition. i.e. They are all mediocre, so the best mediocre player looked high level.

It's difficult to predict from a scrimmage. However, the aggressiveness I witnessed was not what I saw last year from Rauno. One play that sticks out in my mind was when Nurger received a pass at the low post with his back to the basket. He backed into the defender to move him of balance, them followed with a move with his shoulders to the left, immediately followed by a move right, culminating with a shot off the backboard over the defender (don't remember who the defender was) with his left hand. He missed the shot, and followed it under the basket, rebounding the ball among 2-3 opponents, and forced it up through upraised hands trying to block his shot, and made the layup from the other side. I don't ever remember seeing this aggressive attitude that was not going to be denied last year. Usually, he was facing up to the basket trying to shoot threes or being totally outmanned underneath. His arms show new muscle definition that was not there either. He obviously has worked out in the weight room.

He still isn't a great athlete, with great hops but we'll see if this new attitude crosses over into games this year. I do like to see him trying to play with his back to the basket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              As crazy as it sounds, McDuff might have a real shot to get drafted after this year. The NBA loves young tall athletes that have shown just enough of a glimpse that they can play. He could be a legit 2 or 3 in the NBA at his size.
              Remember too that MM is a young sophomore. Only turned 19 Sept 6. The NBA loves youth and potential.
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                It's difficult to predict from a scrimmage. However, the aggressiveness I witnessed was not what I saw last year from Rauno. One play that sticks out in my mind was when Nurger received a pass at the low post with his back to the basket. He backed into the defender to move him of balance, them followed with a move with his shoulders to the left, immediately followed by a move right, culminating with a shot off the backboard over the defender (don't remember who the defender was) with his left hand. He missed the shot, and followed it under the basket, rebounding the ball among 2-3 opponents, and forced it up through upraised hands trying to block his shot, and made the layup from the other side. I don't ever remember seeing this aggressive attitude that was not going to be denied last year. Usually, he was facing up to the basket trying to shoot threes or being totally outmanned underneath. His arms show new muscle definition that was not there either. He obviously has worked out in the weight room.

He still isn't a great athlete, with great hops but we'll see if this new attitude crosses over into games this year. I do like to see him trying to play with his back to the basket.

RN still attempted at least 15 three-balls in warm-up and 2-3 running dunks. I wasn't watching him the entire time, but him shooting warm-up shots in the paint is not something that I noticed like I noticed the threes and the running dunks.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                  RN still attempted at least 15 three-balls in warm-up and 2-3 running dunks. I wasn't watching him the entire time, but him shooting warm-up shots in the paint is not something that I noticed like I noticed the threes and the running dunks.
                  Maybe so. I think that I saw him shoot maybe one 3 during the scrimmage. He established himself several times on the low post.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                    Maybe so. I think that I saw him shoot maybe one 3 during the scrimmage. He established himself several times on the low post.
                    It seemed like the guys on his team were more than willing to dump it into him too.

Could just be in my mind but I thought he rebounded better too. That's definitely something the team needs him to improve.

Comment

• So the 80 minutes at the 4 and 5 are split between Shaq, Nurger, Willis, McDuffie, and Kelly? That's only 16 minutes each and that seems too low for all.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                        So the 80 minutes at the 4 and 5 are split between Shaq, Nurger, Willis, McDuffie, and Kelly? That's only 16 minutes each and that seems too low for all.
                        I'm sure they won't be equally divided if that is indeed the line up.

Comment

• Obviously, but which ones play less than that? Surely Mac plays 25 at least, etc. It seems like not enough to go around even if Hamilton happens to redshirt.

Comment

• MM will definitely see time at the 3.

Comment

So the 80 minutes at the 4 and 5 are split between Shaq, Nurger, Willis, McDuffie, and Kelly? That's only 16 minutes each and that seems too low for all.
                              McDuffie will split time between 3 and 4 maybe a little 2. Not seeing much if any time at the 5.

Comment

Obviously, but which ones play less than that? Surely Mac plays 25 at least, etc. It seems like not enough to go around even if Hamilton happens to redshirt.
                                In Hamilton case he needs to start producing. Not sure that a redshirt will help if he's not getting it by now. Plus if his teammates aren't helping him up off the floor there may be chemistry problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X