Austin Reaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin Reaves

I talk to him and one of the coaches a couple of times a week. All signs say he is doing well. Just curious what the word around Wichita is??

I was in Wichita a couple of weeks ago with a kid looking at Sunrise and saw Austin. He has grown since he left for school. He's pushing 6'6 now. I wish someone would measure him lol

Word is he's gonna do great things here

Comment

He's a winner and the ultimate competitor. There's no greater compliment for an athlete

Comment

I've been excited about AR since the word got out that we were recruiting him. I think that he's going to do great things here. The question is how quickly can he adjust to this level of play? Many freshmen struggle with the quickness of the game at the college level. Once he makes that adjustment, I think that he will do very well.
        ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Austin Reeves....are you kidding me!!!! His initials alone represent the abbreviation of the state of Arkansas!!!!

Just like tomato...tomatow. How bout we nickname this young man "Our-Kansas"!!!

You know...some folks say "Arkansaw"....and others say "OurKansas".

Well he plays for Wichita now and I have a feeling he may just become Mr. OurKansas here in due time!

Yes he's just a Freshman....but freshman deserve nicknames too!!!

Go OurKansas!!!!!!!!!!
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by ARShocker View Post
            I talk to him and one of the coaches a couple of times a week. All signs say he is doing well. Just curious what the word around Wichita is??

I was in Wichita a couple of weeks ago with a kid looking at Sunrise and saw Austin. He has grown since he left for school. He's pushing 6'6 now. I wish someone would measure him lol
            Can you comment on his 15 pounds of weight gain since he joined the Shocks? All muscle? Does he have a target weight for this season?

Comment

I think most folks are excited about seeing his high school accolades translate to college. He's a 6-5 PG that is skilled and can score! Due to his injury and it being summer, no one outside the program has seen him play much, which always adds a bit of hype. Concerns about his strength and high school classification haven't had an opportunity to be addressed. I am excited to watch him develop over time and am cautiously optimistic about his freshman year.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by ARShocker View Post

I think it's fair to say that he's ahead of whatever schedule the fans, coaches and even himself had in mind.

No question that a redshirt year would benefit him as his frame still isn't ready for the pounding of a high D1 campaign, however, with his rapid maturation, and now the departure of Peyton, it seems more and more likely that playing time is possible, if not probable this season for the youngster from Arkansas.

It's unfair to put expectations on freshmen that haven't seen 1 second of college action, but people that know certainly like what they see.

What gets me fired up is when I talk to somebody not directly related to the program but have seen him play and I mention Austin.....and the first thing they do is smile huge. You can just tell they know he's special.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                  Austin Reeves....are you kidding me!!!! His initials alone represent the abbreviation of the state of Arkansas!!!!

Just like tomato...tomatow. How bout we nickname this young man "Our-Kansas"!!!

You know...some folks say "Arkansaw"....and others say "OurKansas".

Well he plays for Wichita now and I have a feeling he may just become Mr. OurKansas here in due time!

Yes he's just a Freshman....but freshman deserve nicknames too!!!

Go OurKansas!!!!!!!!!!
                  Kinda' would have ruined it if he were from Arizona and his name was Alan Ziegler.......just sayin!:O

Comment

Before I assign him a nickname, I want to see him on court.

Here's a little off-topic about nicknames.....
                    Many years ago, I worked for the railroad as a crew caller. I called out a brakeman for a mixed freight train that usually got hugely delayed in Oklahoma City and it was obvious he didn't want to work on this assignment. Unfortunately, he answered the phone. This was at 11:45.......

Shortly after midnight his wife called in, it was early summer and a thunderstorm was moving in. She advised the crew caller (who relieved me at midnight) that he could not come to work because it was lightning outside.

I still laugh to myself when I remember how pissed he was the first time I called him by his new nickname, "Lightning".

By the way, he was disciplined for that little stunt. He had to be a little more careful and creative when calling in for a time after that.

Comment

I get the impression that his abilities are starting to come out. While maybe he is physically not ready, few freshman are. His talent is going to get him chances on the court. I predict he will contribute greatly by the end of the season. Offensively he is already a weapon that the Shocks can use at the point.

Comment

Stone Cold will make SE Arkansas very proud @ARShocker:

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                          Stone Cold will make SE Arkansas very proud @ARShocker:
                          He's from NE Arkansas, BTW, but otherwise I think you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                            He's from NE Arkansas, BTW, but otherwise I think you're right.
                            True, but that doesn't preclude him from making SW Arkansas proud. No doubt if he becomes a college star most of Arkansas will claim him although there could be some folks in NW Arkansas that will not be thrilled about it.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              I think it's fair to say that he's ahead of whatever schedule the fans, coaches and even himself had in mind.

No question that a redshirt year would benefit him as his frame still isn't ready for the pounding of a high D1 campaign, however, with his rapid maturation, and now the departure of Peyton, it seems more and more likely that playing time is possible, if not probable this season for the youngster from Arkansas.

It's unfair to put expectations on freshmen that haven't seen 1 second of college action, but people that know certainly like what they see.

What gets me fired up is when I talk to somebody not directly related to the program but have seen him play and I mention Austin.....and the first thing they do is smile huge. You can just tell they know he's special.
                              Not only does Peyton leaving the program open up a need for Austin's talents but losing 6-6 shooting wing Gabe Grant to Houston in the recruiting wars and then filling that scholarship with Samajae Haynes-Jones,a 5-11 pass first point guard, possibly indicates that 3G and staff are feeling pretty good about Austin's abilities.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 23, 2016, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X