Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Baker was a Knick, and now is a Wizard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice! Still wish he was Phoenix Sun.
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaulding View Post
      Lol! I love Fred's response. Classic.
      I can't see Fred's response. What was it?
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Can't wait until Melo leaves. Don't want negative energy around Ron.
        Why walk somebody in baseball when you can hit them?

Comment

• This calls for a new profile pic.
          Last edited by vbird53; July 20, 2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
            I can't see Fred's response. What was it?

Comment

• Originally posted by mulligan View Post
              looks like three years qualifies for much more paid health insurance, 60k pension, 140% 401k match
              I believe the three years for health insurance applies to retired players, effective 2016. I can't believe that the Union doesn't require health insurance for all active players.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                Nice! Still wish he was Phoenix Sun.
                Well the owners wife is from KC and his father in law lives in Pratt and is a Shocker season ticket holder so you never know...
                "I discovered surfing, which I absolutely fell in love with. That feels good and kind of keeps your body aligned, so does the salt water." - Anthony Kiedis

"I'm not worried. Are you worried? You shouldn't be. Sleep well tonight. "

Comment

• Interesting Article on Baker's Contract: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...162842838.html. Hopefully he earns the contract next year and proves them wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by ICT2CLT View Post
                    Interesting Article on Baker's Contract: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...162842838.html. Hopefully he earns the contract next year and proves them wrong.
                    They weren't really that critical of Ron's contract. In fact, they were quite positive about Ron. They just echoed what was said on here immediately following the signing. They thought the Knicks were afraid of other teams being interested in Ron (they conjectured that his agent manufactured some of the interest), and they were critical that the Knicks didn't allow other teams to actually offer Ron and then the Knicks could match it if they wanted. In other words, the Knicks may or may not have overpaid, but until the other teams offer, they weren't sure. Knowing Ron, and how he is, the Knicks may found out they got a great deal. They were also more critical on the Hardaway signing than Ron.

The positive on Ron was that he was a very good defensive player on a very bad defensive Knicks team, whose value may have been greater because of how bad the Knicks have been on defense for years.
                    One thing you are correct about is that Ron still is young and has to prove he belongs in the NBA this year. His main weakness was his 3 point perimeter shot. That, he needs to improve.

Comment

Interesting Article on Baker's Contract: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...162842838.html. Hopefully he earns the contract next year and proves them wrong.
                      They're not paying him that money for his 4 points and 2 assists. They're paying him because he subtracts more than that from the stats of anyone he's guarding. A player who can shut Curry down is worth some $$.

VanVleet is also a tenacious defender. As Marshall gets more and more players getting NBA looks, the NBA will figure out that players coming out of Marshall's system aren't prima donnas, like the lottery picks, but play both ends of the court and can defensively disrupt good NBA scorers.

Observers of the NBA who are critical of Baker's contract are the guys who only watch the offensive end of the court. They need to learn the game is played on both ends of the court. Oh, wait...this is the NBA. Evidently players are only expected to play on one end of the court.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        They weren't really that critical of Ron's contract. In fact, they were quite positive about Ron. They just echoed what was said on here immediately following the signing. They thought the Knicks were afraid of other teams being interested in Ron (they conjectured that his agent manufactured some of the interest), and they were critical that the Knicks didn't allow other teams to actually offer Ron and then the Knicks could match it if they wanted. In other words, the Knicks may or may not have overpaid, but until the other teams offer, they weren't sure. Knowing Ron, and how he is, the Knicks may found out they got a great deal. They were also more critical on the Hardaway signing than Ron.

The positive on Ron was that he was a very good defensive player on a very bad defensive Knicks team, whose value may have been greater because of how bad the Knicks have been on defense for years.
                        One thing you are correct about is that Ron still is young and has to prove he belongs in the NBA this year. His main weakness was his 3 point perimeter shot. That, he needs to improve.
                        Oh I absolutely agree. They weren't critical of Ron, just the decision to give him that contract. The Knicks definitely overpaid; he might be making more than DRose next year. The PG position was stacked in free agency this year and there are several good point guards still on the market that may not find a landing spot. Good for Ron though. I think articles like this and a few loud Knicks fans upset about his contract will fuel him to keep playing angry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          They're not paying him that money for his 4 points and 2 assists. They're paying him because he subtracts more than that from the stats of anyone he's guarding. A player who can shut Curry down is worth some $$.

Observers of the NBA who are critical of Baker's contract are the guys who only watch the offensive end of the court. They need to learn the game is played on both ends of the court. Oh, wait...this is the NBA. Evidently players are only expected to play on one end of the court.
                          That's not completely true. In the NBA you can't just play great D. You also have to score/create in order to keep the other team's defense honest. There are very few defense-only players that last past a year or two. The NBA definitely has a role for the 3&D player but not defense only. That's probably why Phil, of whom I am no fan, quite correctly told him he needed to pick it up from 3 point range. Players have made that transition (look at Jimmy Butler) and I am confident he can too. However, with his current performance and the depth in the PG market this contract is hard to explain.

Comment

Oh I absolutely agree. They weren't critical of Ron, just the decision to give him that contract. The Knicks definitely overpaid.
                            I take issue with your word definitely. We don't know what the market would have brought and that was the point of the conversation. They thought that the Knicks should have waited to see what the market would actually bear than deciding in advance. Ron might prove to be worth every penny. You think overpay and if multiple people are willing to pay that amount (there may have been multiple teams interested in Ron), then the market has set itself. There may be a lot of people who believe that his 3 point shooting will improve. He is already a very good passer on offense, makes good decisions with the ball, and makes others around him better (D Rose doesn't do any of those other things on offense-Rose shoots the ball better than Ron and nothing else better on offense). If Ron's perimeter shooting improves, he could be around for a long time.

Comment

• The Knicks didn't overpay, they paid for potential. Essentially they are paying to get the Ron Baker they had the last part of the season that was getting minutes and filling a stat sheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Axe View Post
                                The Knicks didn't overpay, they paid for potential. Essentially they are paying to get the Ron Baker they had the last part of the season that was getting minutes and filling a stat sheet.
                                The NBA is always doing things based on potential. I agree with you.

It might even show that they got a steal in another year. Why would someone that is now projected to be the starting point guard not take what the organization was offering.

Comment

Working...
                                X