No announcement yet.

WSU Versus Vanderbilt Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we've seen this story before. UNLV was going to dominate us in the paint. Poeltl was going to dominate us in the paint. Giddy was going to dominate us in the paint. Hell, even NMSU was going to dominate us in the paint. Guess what, it never happened. Our guards will make it difficult and cause errant passes, resulting in live ball turnovers and in turn open floor highlight dunks. Our bigs won't be called for 14 ticky tack fouls, since we are outside of the Elgin Valley Conference. At least two guys will shoot better than 40% from the 3-point line, and WSU will win by 13. 68-55
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

We struggle more with quick guards than we do with good bigs. I feel fairly good about this game. Wade Baldwin is an athletic guard, but has really struggled against top KenPom defenses. Read here: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/1/2...ort-vanderbilt

Their good three point shooting at 38.8% is somewhat worrisome. I do hope they don't take a page out of the UNI playbook and space us out for a drive or a drive and kick-out. And if Evan Wessel gets switched on to their best ball-handler like he did against UNI, I'm gonna lose it.

Regardless, I think we win. But it could be close.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

For those saying they don't have truTV, you can ALWAYS stream all the games on CBS.com for free and legally. Even the play in games.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
          For those saying they don't have truTV, you can ALWAYS stream all the games on CBS.com for free and legally. Even the play in games.
          And buying a month of SlingTV for about 25 bucks will give you access to TruTV, TBS, and TNT (so with an antenna for CBS, you get all 4 stations that the NCAA tournament will be on)

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
            Paul Suellentrop
            ‏@PaulSuellentrop

ESPN's Cory Alexander putting the pressure on Shockers fans. Says home-court advantage at UD Arena will go to them.
            I can't decipher this. Who is Cory Alexander? Home-Court advantage will go to "them"? Who is "them"? WSU or Vanderbilt? And how is he applying pressure on Shocker fans, because he is trying to say there will be more Vandy fans?

Comment

Keys to the game:

Frankamp wakes up and hits some outside shots. Our 3-point percentage cannot continue to be this low.

Wamukota plays in the game for more than 90 seconds, and finds a way to play at least 60% of that time without fouling. I don't think you can rely on just Morris and Grady to get the job done.

Tekele Cotton puts on the Larry Johnson grandma costume and plays on-ball defense. We'll sneak the ineligible guy by them with creative costuming.

Comment

Originally posted by tw805 View Post
                Keys to the game:

Frankamp wakes up and hits some outside shots. Our 3-point percentage cannot continue to be this low.

Wamukota plays in the game for more than 90 seconds, and finds a way to play at least 60% of that time without fouling. I don't think you can rely on just Morris and Grady to get the job done.

Tekele Cotton puts on the Larry Johnson grandma costume and plays on-ball defense. We'll sneak the ineligible guy by them with creative costuming.
                We just need 1 or 2 of Frankamp, Baker, Van Vleet, Brown, McDuffie, or Wessel to hit some outside shots ... I don't care who. Just can't have all of them have poor shooting nights like they did against UNI twice.

Comment

Originally posted by tempshock View Post
                  I saw Vandy play in person twice this year. I tought at the time I was looking at a Final 4 contender, but they went into a slump about mid season. I believe they've played better of late.

If both teams play their best, I don't think it is a good match-up for WSU because of the height advantage Vandy has. However, WSU plays great defense, and that's always a great equilizer. I do think WSU is going to have to play really well to beat them though. Vandy has several 7 footers, but a couple of them play a little soft. One of them, in particular, seemed way too content to stand around the 3 point line when I watched them. If Stallings can get his bigs to play strong in the paint, Vandy wins, but getting their bigs to do that may be easier said than done. Obviouly, WSU has the edge in guard play.
                  Soft big men who like to float around the perimeter?

Sounds like the BJs.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post
                    Our offense is so complex that we benefit a lot from teams not having a lot of time to scout us, and it shows when we get a lot of easy baskets in the NCAA Tournament that we don't get in league play.
                    Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                    I always get such a huge chuckle when people mention how complex our offense is.

Have you seen it recently?..
                    In fact, it’s so complex, half of our team hasn’t figured it out yet. Hopefully, 11 days off is what the doctor ordered. Seriously, unlike @KCShox:, I predict our offense will be firing on all cylinders… even Evan will hit a couple of 3's and get us 5 extra possessions with his hustle. The Commodores won’t know what hit ‘em. With our defense, we'll have the ‘Commodores’ singing “Brick House”…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                      Soft big men who like to float around the perimeter?

Sounds like the BJs.
                      Are these bigs all sporting shitty beards? If so, it's Creighton all over!

Comment

Am I the only one nervous as hell for this game? Every game that is played from here until hopefully the National Title game could possibly be the last time we see RB and FVV in a Wichita State uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                          This group does not Play Angry and I see no passion in RB or FVV this year. We lose 69 - 59.
                          No passion...

Comment

I think the slow start this season had our guys playing on edge the rest of the way. Every game was crucial to the end of the year resume. I'm hoping that now, since we are in, the pressure is off and they simply go play basketball.

By the way, what would Vanderbilt's record be if they didn't have the biggest home court advantage this side of Beijing. The baseline benches are totally unfair to visiting teams.
                            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Here is a link to an ESPN story.

The author ranks the teams as he sees them. The Shockers are #15 and described as the wild card.

Enjoy.

The field is set. Here's a comprehensive look at the NCAA tournament field with what you need to know about all 68 teams.
                              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

68 - 55 Shockers. Anton Grady the game MVP playing close to home with lots of friends and family there. Make the most of your dream Anton!

Comment

Working...
                                X