Redturd Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JayPak View Post
    Michigan St lost at home to Nebraska. Even worse.
    Xavier lost at home to a bad Georgetown team as well.
    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
      that was the first thing i noticed when i came here after the game, obviously. shameful. bad karma or not, ilsu message board is in great spirits over that one.. 'probably will be for a few days.
      I thought I was being too nice with such a title.

So when are they gonna hang a banner for this win?
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• There was a question during the pregame about a ball hitting the rim that was not a shot. Would such an occurrence automatically reset the shot clock. MK said that it was up to the shot clock official as to what constituted a shot. The ball inadvertently hitting the rim did not automatically reset the shot clock.

On the play in question, there is no doubt in my mind that it was not a shot, despite what Mark Adams kept harping on tv. The player was not facing or looking at the basket when the ball was knocked up in the air and hit the rim. He then proceeded to recover the ball, dribble it off his own foot and out of bounds. The refs totally blew the call by saying it was off of a Shocker player, which could be pretty well determined on review. They went to the monitor to see if the shot clock had expired on the play, as one official had signaled that it had. So then they review, see they blew the call, see there was still 1 second on the shot clock and award the ball to Ill. St.

I would like to hear from some of our resident refs on this play. Not to argue or belittle in any way, but to get their perspective on the rules associated with this play. Is the missed call on the out of bounds call just ignored on replay? I have seen other instances this year that make me believe this is so, but I want to check. Thanks.
        Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
          They were looking to see if there was any time remaining on the shot clock when the ball went out of bounds.

How must it feel to review a play and see that you so obviously made the wrong call initially and are not allowed to correct your mistake.
          I didn't think they could look at time remaining except in the last two minutes. Other correctable errors do not seem to include this:

Section 12. Correctable Errors
          Art. 1.
          The correctable errors are as follows:
          a.
          Failing to award a merited free throw
          b.
          A
          warding an unmerited free throw.
          c.
          Permitting a wrong player to attempt a free throw
          d.
          Permitting a player to attempt a free throw at the wrong basket.
          e.
          Erroneously counting or canceling a score.
          Note:
          In order for this to be a correctable error, the official must have
          erred in counting or canceling a successful try for goal according to a
          rule (i.e., after basket interference or goaltending, incorrectly counting or
          2-BasketballRule from JC.indd 38
          8/5/2013 9:09:27 AM
          Rule 2 /
          o
          ffi
          C
          ials and
          t
          hei
          R
          d
          uties
          failing to cancel a score or counting a three-point goal instead of a two-
          point goal). A correctable error does not involve an error in judgment.
          Art. 2.
          When the officials’ error as in Rule 2-12.1.a through .d is made while
          the game clock is stopped, such errors must be recognized and corrected by an
          official during the first dead ball after the game clock has been started properly.
          Art. 3.
          When the officials’ error as in Rule 2-12.1.e is made while the game
          clock is running and the ball becomes dead after a successful goal, it must be
          recognized and corrected by an official before the second live ball.
          (Exception:
          11-2.1.b.1)
          Art. 4.
          When the error is a free throw by the wrong player, a free throw attempted
          at the wrong basket or the awarding of an unmerited free throw, the free throw and
          the activity during it, other than any flagrant or technical foul, shall be canceled.
          a.
          Points scored, time consumed and additional activity that may occur
          before the recognition of the error shall not be nullified.
          Art. 5.
          When an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point of
          interruption to correct the error, unless the correction involves the failure to award
          a merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the
          error was made. In that case, play shall resume as after any normal free throw.
          a.
          Points scored, time consumed and additional activity that may occur
          before the recognition of the error shall not be nullified.
          Art. 6.
          An appeal for a correctable error may be made by a head coach, table
          official (includes an approved standby official) or game official. This appeal must
          be honored and reviewed by an official.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
            Only if he will attribute Proverbs for his :)
            Never let a good quote go unquoted.

Comment

• The clock didnt stop when the ref blew the whistle - thus the review. Many other questionable bits, but the shot clock kept running and that portion was reviewable

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                Only if he will attribute Proverbs for his :)
                And, Mr Marx is dead. Makes it a bit tough for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  The birds are big and athletic. I understand that they are not a group of winners, but our performance in this game is troubling, at least. We see see this type of team again in the Dance.
                  Some people need to realize it's hard to play perfect basketball for 18 straight games. Very hard. We sucked to near D-2 levels last night and it was a one possession game with seconds remaining in regulation. Sh*t happens. Some people need to realize this very human aspect. It sucks to lose. It sucks even more that it happened against a trash school like that, but it isn't a season ender. We don't wanna peak too early and a game like this helps show that. Sucked really bad and still had a chance to win. It was more our undoing and some poor officiating than anything Illinois State did. We've seen zone before and won games handily. This was just one of those fart games.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    Some people need to realize it's hard to play perfect basketball for 18 straight games. Very hard. We sucked to near D-2 levels last night and it was a one possession game with seconds remaining in regulation. Sh*t happens. Some people need to realize this very human aspect. It sucks to lose. It sucks even more that it happened against a trash school like that, but it isn't a season ender. We don't wanna peak too early and a game like this helps show that. Sucked really bad and still had a chance to win. It was more our undoing and some poor officiating than anything Illinois State did. We've seen zone before and won games handily. This was just one of those fart games.
                    Maybe, but they have bested us the last two times we played them, and we have 2 more game with them in the next month.

Comment

Maybe, but they have bested us the last two times we played them, and we have 2 more game with them in the next month.
                      And we had beaten them 7 straight times before the semifinal last year. What's your point?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I went to bed after the game and been cleaning all morning.

Have I missed the meltdown yet?

Comment

• Well, that sucked. I expect a thorough Redbird beatdown on the 27th, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            And we had beaten them 7 straight times before the semifinal last year. What's your point?
                            that's immaterial and you know it

Comment

One more guaranteed game. They have also lost to Missouri state, so it's no guarantee that they will play us in St Louis.

Comment

that's immaterial and you know it
                                As are the last two. We're a better team and everyone knows it. We won't lose to them again this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X