No announcement yet.

Evansville game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My recollection (admittedly not the most reliable source) is that the crowd was relatively subdued in the 1st half as Iowa jumped out to a 36-25 lead. However, in the 2nd half the crowd, largely of their own accord, sensed the Shocks were needing a big boost and the 2nd half of the game the crowd was insane as the Shocks rallied with a big assist from the crowd (rattling Lute Olsen into calling a timeout he did not have) to take a 60-56 win.

Antoine and Cliff combined for 45 points and 28 rebounds. Box Score.

And of course, if the Shocks don't rally to win that Iowa game Mike Jones doesn't become a Shocker legend 5 days later at the Battle of New Orleans.

Great memories for sure.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 8, 2016, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      I don't think it was ever available on ESPN.
      I wonder if there was some corruption of the data. I tried to watch that evening and could never get it to work. It was there but it wouldn't load. I thought it might be a network problem at the time.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

• My recollection is much the same as yours, 1972. The crowd didn't have much to cheer about in the first half, and didn't Tony Martin also have to leave with back trouble? Plus, Iowa then scored the first two baskets of the second half before the Shocks began their comeback; and I think it was after the next three baskets, with the crowd already roaring as the WSU defense rattled Iowa enough to necessitate a time out although they were still up 40-31, that the band launched into the drums for Low Brass and the volume really went off the charts. Great effort by the crowd to help as best we could, and great leadership by the band.

Those were the good old days, Doc -- when bands could play during game action instead of having to be genteel and quiet until time is called.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          My recollection is much the same as yours, 1972. The crowd didn't have much to cheer about in the first half, and didn't Tony Martin also have to leave with back trouble? Plus, Iowa then scored the first two baskets of the second half before the Shocks began their comeback; and I think it was after the next three baskets, with the crowd already roaring as the WSU defense rattled Iowa enough to necessitate a time out although they were still up 40-31, that the band launched into the drums for Low Brass and the volume really went off the charts. Great effort by the crowd to help as best we could, and great leadership by the band.

Those were the good old days, Doc -- when bands could play during game action instead of having to be genteel and quiet until time is called.
          And that's part of the problem--the band has to be "behaved" and wait until the stop clocks each time. They have to, because of the rules, be more "entertainment" than a "motivator". It's sort of the PC way of going to a game--ugh!

Comment

• I have witnessed many games when the band is allowed to play during live action. Missouri State does this in every game I have watched in recent seasons. Rule enforcement seems to be a 'pick-and-choose' affair. Go to the Valley tournament (or don't, screw St. Louis), and you will see this often.

Comment

• WSU seems to go out of its way to be sporting, dizzle. Remember Warren Armstrong (not Jabali) and his objection to Low Brass because it was "taunting?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                My dad was at that game and he said it's the loudest he'd ever heard Levitt Arena.
                I was there too and I agree with your dad.

Comment

• Loudest games according to Shocktoberfest.

Iowa >Tulsa (Papke runner for the win) > Florida State NIT > UNI 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                    Loudest games according to Shocktoberfest.

Iowa >Tulsa (Papke runner for the win) > Florida State NIT > UNI 2015
                    I was fortunate to see both, but Wragge clainking the three at the buzzer has got to be up there too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
                      I was fortunate to see both, but Wragge clainking the three at the buzzer has got to be up there too.
                      Good call. I was also living out of state and missed Matty B's dagger. That had to be freaking loud!

Comment

• Matty B's three to slay Creighton was a pretty loud moment as well. Of the ones I've personally experienced (first game in 1986) the Florida State NIT game was the best wall-to-wall of loudness I can remember, and I do seem to recall the victory over KU in January 1987 getting pretty loud as well.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• All good loudness games....SIU 2004(?) was CRAZY aneurysm-causing loud. Matt Clark's 3 to cut the lead to 47-34 was as loud as it's EVER been ANYWHERE for a team down 13 on its home floor.

Amazing game. I believe Higgy did that game too. He goes where the action is.
                          Last edited by WuDrWu; January 11, 2016, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• What set the Iowa game apart from the others for me was that after the game ended, nobody left for at least 5 minutes but continued to stand and cheer very loudly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                              What set the Iowa game apart from the others for me was that after the game ended, nobody left for at least 5 minutes but continued to stand and cheer very loudly.
                              Oh. You mean as opposed to 5 minutes before the game ends? Oh. And we are only up by 3? Our early exiters suck. Sorry if you are one of them. But dang. Really?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                                Oh. You mean as opposed to 5 minutes before the game ends? Oh. And we are only up by 3? Our early exiters suck. Sorry if you are one of them. But dang. Really?
                                Spoiled.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X