Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wufan View Post
    I would agree with this, except I agreed last season and was wrong.
    Am I wrong though? We can get away with play him there during the regular season, when he was effective in the tourney it was against a soft as a baby's bottom perry ellis... tough and elite 4s would have their way with wessel even if he is a good defender, he's only 6'5, they would score over the top of him like its nothing. Him as a 3 might not be bad because he'll have a size and/or toughness advantage over them

Comment

Wessel will be in the starting lineup for the beginning of the year. Without seeing anyone this year, my prediction would be FVV, Ron, Evan, Rashard Kelly, and one of Grady, Shaq, or Bush.

In the rotation will be Taylor to start the year (replaced by Frankamp), Shamet, and Brown. Nurger will get a few non-mop up minutes but not many. Mainly when our postmen have foul problems.
      Last edited by shockmonster; October 10, 2015, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Let's analize the roster in a different way...position minutes.

PG: Let's face it, FVV will play at least 30 minutes. That leaves 10 minutes to be distributed between Ron, Conner and Taylor. Once he becomes eligible, I hope Conner gets the lions share. In early games, Ron gets the major backup minutes. In games against the SIU's of the schedule, Taylor can log 5-8 minutes to start getting experience.

SG: This is Ron's island. He probably logs around 25 minutes, while seeing 5 minutes at PG. The other 15 minutes will go to Shamet, Conner and Brown. We have all heard what a nice summer Shamet had. We know based on match ups and game situations Conner and Brown will be needed to contribute here.

SF: This is where Evan lands for the majority of his senior year. He has shed a few pounds and comes in at 212, which should help him chase around and push around opposing wings. I think most of us feel his offense will be more than adequate to keep the opposing defense honest. Have no fear, Evan will be asked to play some 4...just because. Look for the breakdown to be 20 minutes at the 3 and 5 minutes at the 4. Brown will be the ying to Evan's yang. I think Brown gets about 15 minutes at the 3 and about 5 minutes at the 2. Look for McDuffie to see around 5 minutes here.

PF: I see Shaq getting the starting minutes her, about 16 let's say. He will also see time at the 5 depending on the contributions of backups WamBush and Rauno. I will give him 6 minutes at the 5. Although Kelly won't start, I see him getting 16 minutes just like Shaq. Kelly was reported to have a great summer and so his minutes could approach 20. The other 8 minutes will be shared by Grady and Hamilton.

Post: I believe we all have faith Grady will be solid here. Look for him to log about 20 minutes at the 5, while being asked to play around 5 minutes at the 4. It's time for WamBush's light to shine. His athleticism, size and experience is very much needed now. I see him playing at least 12 minutes. There is also an opportunity for Rauno to fulfill his expectations with the balance of the time at the 5. Let's not forget Shaq... He will also see a handful of minutes at the 5.

Because I am admittedly the best backseat coach Gregg can lean on in this manner, take it to the bank. There is also that wrench called red shirts to affect this analysis. Discuss away!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
          Let's analize the roster in a different way...position minutes.

PG: Let's face it, FVV will play at least 30 minutes. That leaves 10 minutes to be distributed between Ron, Conner and Taylor. Once he becomes eligible, I hope Conner gets the lions share. In early games, Ron gets the major backup minutes. In games against the SIU's of the schedule, Taylor can log 5-8 minutes to start getting experience.

SG: This is Ron's island. He probably logs around 25 minutes, while seeing 5 minutes at PG. The other 15 minutes will go to Shamet, Conner and Brown. We have all heard what a nice summer Shamet had. We know based on match ups and game situations Conner and Brown will be needed to contribute here.

SF: This is where Evan lands for the majority of his senior year. He has shed a few pounds and comes in at 212, which should help him chase around and push around opposing wings. I think most of us feel his offense will be more than adequate to keep the opposing defense honest. Have no fear, Evan will be asked to play some 4...just because. Look for the breakdown to be 20 minutes at the 3 and 5 minutes at the 4. Brown will be the ying to Evan's yang. I think Brown gets about 15 minutes at the 3 and about 5 minutes at the 2. Look for McDuffie to see around 5 minutes here.

PF: I see Shaq getting the starting minutes her, about 16 let's say. He will also see time at the 5 depending on the contributions of backups WamBush and Rauno. I will give him 6 minutes at the 5. Although Kelly won't start, I see him getting 16 minutes just like Shaq. Kelly was reported to have a great summer and so his minutes could approach 20. The other 8 minutes will be shared by Grady and Hamilton.

Post: I believe we all have faith Grady will be solid here. Look for him to log about 20 minutes at the 5, while being asked to play around 5 minutes at the 4. It's time for WamBush's light to shine. His athleticism, size and experience is very much needed now. I see him playing at least 12 minutes. There is also an opportunity for Rauno to fulfill his expectations with the balance of the time at the 5. Let's not forget Shaq... He will also see a handful of minutes at the 5.

Because I am admittedly the best backseat coach Gregg can lean on in this manner, take it to the bank. There is also that wrench called red shirts to affect this analysis. Discuss away!!!
          This is great. I like your views but I also have a question, do you think the lack of a great athlete in the starting lineup will be the Achilles heel of the team?

Comment

Originally posted by MTXE31 View Post
            This is great. I like your views but I also have a question, do you think the lack of a great athlete in the starting lineup will be the Achilles heel of the team?
            Can't wait for the guru SHOXMVC to answer this challenging question. Some of the best minds in all of basketball asked a similar question when we faced KU at the Dance last Season. How are players like Baker, a walk on, and FVV, a 4 star, and Wessel at 6'4" ever in a blue moon going to match up versus the massive inside tall 5-star players that KU had? Dunno, but this is what we remember vividly. We won, and Perry, bad knee and all, was guarded by Wessel at times. We won easily, right? Wessel was left alone like a lost child at a huge local retail store but yet made 4-3 pointers. Almost forgot something of essence. Mr. Wessel also landed 9 rebounds against their talented 5 stars we kept hearing so very much about. Let's now talk about pure talent. On our squad this very Season, we even appear to have so much more talent than the Shockers that beat both Indiana and KU last Season as we Danced with the Stars. Stay tuned!!!
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

If this team didn't have great athletes in the starting lineup I would concur with you...but it does. You don't become All-America without being a great athlete. Wessel's win/loss record is salty. Let me ask you this question...do you consider Greg Maddux a great athlete? He is only the 8th winningest pitcher in MLB history with 355 wins. Maddux relied on his command, composure, and guile to outwit hitters. He won games differently than Bob Gibson, Jim Palmer and Nolan Ryan. Oh, did I mentioned he won games. Maddux was an outstanding winner/athlete. The Shockers win...period.

How did I do FSF?

Comment

@SHOXMVC:, why do you play high flying 6-8, 260 lb Shaq Morris at the 4 and below the rim 6-8, 230 lb Anton Grady at the five?
                Livin the dream

Comment

If this team didn't have great athletes in the starting lineup I would concur with you...but it does. You don't become All-America without being a great athlete. Wessel's win/loss record is salty. Let me ask you this question...do you consider Greg Maddux a great athlete? He is only the 8th winningest pitcher in MLB history with 355 wins. Maddux relied on his command, composure, and guile to outwit hitters. He won games differently than Bob Gibson, Jim Palmer and Nolan Ryan. Oh, did I mentioned he won games. Maddux was an outstanding winner/athlete. The Shockers win...period.

How did I do FSF?
                  I see where you're coming from but I don't think the starters are near the athletes that Cotton and Early were

Comment

As to the minute break down above, history says I am a poor judge of this, but this year is different.

Fred+Ron = 57 mpg
                    Evan+Zach = 40 mpg
                    Anton+Rashard = 40 mpg
                    Shaq+Bush = 33 mpg

That leaves 30 minutes for two or three more players...likely Conner, Landry + 1
                    Livin the dream

Comment

I see where you're coming from but I don't think the starters are near the athletes that Cotton and Early were
                      I get what you're saying. Fred, Evan, Anton, and to some extent Ron are not run and jump athletes. But, those four are veterans that know how to defend without fouling, play team defense, and move without the ball. The fifth starter from the rotation (unless it's Nurger) is going to be a high level athlete, and basically everyone you bring off the bench is going to be one as well.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                        @SHOXMVC:, why do you play high flying 6-8, 260 lb Shaq Morris at the 4 and below the rim 6-8, 230 lb Anton Grady at the five?
                        According to my KALAS (knows a lot about shat) crack research staff Grady is a 22 year old in a 45 year old body and primarily last season played in the post for Cleveland State and is very crafty and tough underneath. Morris is our Charles Barkley. Can muscle inside, but is enough of a talent to venture outside on the perimeter.

Comment

According to my KALAS (knows a lot about shat) crack research staff Grady is a 22 year old in a 45 year old body and primarily last season played in the post for Cleveland State and is very crafty and tough underneath. Morris is our Charles Barkley. Can muscle inside, but is enough of a talent to venture outside on the perimeter.
                          They are both big, meaty guys with huge butts. It's gonna be tough to bang around inside against those two.

I like big butts and I cannot lie... Especially at the forward/center position.

Comment

Well regardless of which position they run, I'm looking forward to seeing them on the court together.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Remember, there are more than one way to skin cats and peel onions. Just sayin.

By the way, I have performed one of those examples.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                                They are both big, meaty guys with huge butts. It's gonna be tough to bang around inside against those two.

I like big butts and I cannot lie... Especially at the forward/center position.
                                You had me on the edge of my seat on the big butts comment...then you ran with a basketball reference.

Comment

Working...
                                X