No announcement yet.

Lindys top10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the other hand, I can see why Indiana would be ranked ahead of KU. I mean, did you see the way they battled WSU, only to fall in a close one? Then, a few days later, KU got beat by more than double that margin in a game that wasn't that close. I suppose I would want to rank Indiana ahead of KU in a preseason poll as well.

I'd rank a lot more than 6 teams ahead of KU. I'd have them closer to 15. We don't even know if half of their roster is eligible yet, right? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
      I don't think it's the actual position that bothers people most, but the justification. Somehow when we lose players to graduation it's always a bad thing and our new players will take time to develop. This seems particularly ludicrous when a team returns two AA guards (and has a whole bunch of freshmen becoming sophomores).

But when *insert P5 school* gets incoming freshmen they are always viewed as an upgrade over the departing seniors and NBA draft picks.
      I get that as well but I have to say that getting a pre-season ranking in the top 10 despite losing two key players speaks volumes and is far better than the alternative. After all, it wasn't that long ago that we failed to even make the preseason top 25, let alone hitting the top 10. There's a lot of basketball to be played between now and the final poll and I'm hoping our play will dictate a much higher ranking at that point. These preseason polls tend to place a lot of emphasis on who is returning but almost more emphasis on the star value of the incoming freshmen class. Which means UK, KU and Duke will almost always get higher rankings than WSU. I'm okay with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
        I get that as well but I have to say that getting a pre-season ranking in the top 10 despite losing two key players speaks volumes and is far better than the alternative. After all, it wasn't that long ago that we failed to even make the preseason top 25, let alone hitting the top 10. There's a lot of basketball to be played between now and the final poll and I'm hoping our play will dictate a much higher ranking at that point. These preseason polls tend to place a lot of emphasis on who is returning but almost more emphasis on the star value of the incoming freshmen class. Which means UK, KU and Duke will almost always get higher rankings than WSU. I'm okay with that.
        Indeed. I'd rather we be ranked higher at the end of the season than the beginning. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
          I do agree with this. I'm just having fun making jabs, but you are right. It will make it all the more fun during the season if our players do perform at a higher level after all. It's going to be a fun year regardless of any of this ranking stuff. We are down to about 5 weeks now before things start to heat up! The countdown is on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            Indiana came much closer to beating WSU than KU did.
            I just feel they have IU making a pretty big jump. Even though we beat KU, they are returning almost all of their impact players from last year. I get why some are high on them. Indiana is returning a good group of guys too, but going from fringe top 25 to top 5 is a big leap.
            Last edited by Jhook89; September 8, 2015, 12:01 PM.

Comment

The simple truth is that anytime (of late) that KU is ranked ahead of us, we are going to be pissed. And I'm sure the feeling will be mutual once we overtake them in this year's rankings.

Comment

Lindys is probably the poorest excuse for a sports mag ever.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  Lindys is probably the poorest excuse for a sports mag ever.
                  Athlon is even worse on this subject.
                  "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                    Athlon is even worse on this subject.
                    good point

Comment

Pre-season rankings = what talking heads think will happen. Post-season rankings is what WSU makes happen.

Good thing the latter tends to bode well in our favor.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                        The simple truth is that anytime (of late) that KU is ranked ahead of us, we are going to be pissed. And I'm sure the feeling will be mutual once we overtake them in this year's rankings.
                        once "again" you mean. :yahoo:
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                          They certainly didn't seem pissed in the game against us last year. They seemed rather complacent.

Self didn't get pissed until some point in the second half, which was too late. About 5 (real time) minutes later he pretty much gave that up because his being the only pissed Jayhawk not in the stands was having no effect on his players.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            They certainly didn't seem pissed in the game against us last year. They seemed rather complacent.

Self didn't get pissed until some point in the second half, which was too late. About 5 (real time) minutes later he pretty much gave that up because his being the only pissed Jayhawk not in the stands was having no effect on his players.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                              I mean it's like it's scripted. Never gets old.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                                Indiana came much closer to beating WSU than KU did.
                                Their best player also returned this year.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X