2015-16 Media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
    So, who really is even an option on the table for this looming "redshirt" anyway?

Nurger, Hamilton, McDuffie, Taylor, Shamet, Brown, Kelly, Wamukota, Van Vleet? and yeah, I'm listing everyone who even possibly could. It helps me to narrow it down to who is most likely.

If that is the list of the people who even CAN, then I'm going with Hamilton, Taylor and Nurger in that order. I think Coach went to the trouble of putting a comment out there on this topic because Hamilton is probably really emotional and might take it really hard or something. My opinions are flippant and subject to change without notice.

Wasn't Wamukota injured? Maybe it's about to get crazy up in here.
    On the Nurger Red-Shirt, I say no because:

If he turns out to be really good before his 5th year, he will be gone. He will play over seas.

If he turns out to be not so good, we've wasted a scholarship year.

BWam is intriguing for a couple of reasons: 1. He could get a lot better. 2. He would be the lone senior next year and free up an otherwise unavailable scholarship. Problem is that it removes the last known available scholarship from next season.

McDuffie and Shamet might be too good to play 4 years.

Hamilton and Taylor make some sense.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• I would not be surprised if there were no redshirts at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post
        I would not be surprised if there were no redshirts at all.
        I don't think anyone was expecting there to be any. That's why it was newsworthy enough for Paul S to address it and for coach Marshall to mention it in the first place.

Since it got brought up and that is kind of abnormal, I think you can bet that someone WILL redshirt this year, whether it's a happy situation or not. Hopefully it is mutual.

Comment

• I suspect that Gregg was disappointed that Henderson and Nurger did not redshirt last year. Does he plan to forcibly redshirt someone this year? Maybe. Did he want to send a message that might encourage volunteers? Probably. Are the freshmen the only candidates? Probably not.

Gregg is a pretty good judge of who's ready and who's not. Players should listen.
          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• I hope Hamilton doesn't get or should I say require a red-shirt. It almost feels like he should be going into his Junior year already. Geez.
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
              Can't you technically never "say" someone is redshirted, but if the season ends and they literally never played, you can still proceed as if you had?

I'm excited. Nothing gets Shockernet going like a good redshirt conspiracy...
              I suppose that Marshall could ask a player to redshirt, and if they said they didn't want to, he could just not play them, technically making them a redshirt.

Edit: After reading the article by Suellentrop, this is what it sounds like Marshall will do.

“With 18 guys on our team, I can give them the option, but if they don’t take my suggestion then it becomes DNP-Coaches Decision, which then still gives me the option,” Marshall said.
              Last edited by 1979Shocker; October 28, 2015, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• I'm still going with McDuffie. He's behind Wessel and Brown at SF. He's probably the 3rd option at PF because of youth and weight. He's not a banger at 6'8", 185. Where does he get minutes? there's mop-up and garbage time minutes, but there are others who could use those minutes in the positions McDuffie could possibly play.

If McDuffie is good enough to move ahead of Brown at backup SF or move ahead of Kelly, Hamilton, or Morris at PF, then we can expect one of the PF candidates he beat out to leave the program at the end of the year. That entire issue is resolved if McDuffie (the youngest player on the roster) takes a year to put on some weight.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  I'm still going with McDuffie. He's behind Wessel and Brown at SF. He's probably the 3rd option at PF because of youth and weight. He's not a banger at 6'8", 185. Where does he get minutes? there's mop-up and garbage time minutes, but there are others who could use those minutes in the positions McDuffie could possibly play.

If McDuffie is good enough to move ahead of Brown at backup SF or move ahead of Kelly, Hamilton, or Morris at PF, then we can expect one of the PF candidates he beat out to leave the program at the end of the year. That entire issue is resolved if McDuffie (the youngest player on the roster) takes a year to put on some weight.
                  This redshirt conspiracy theory might have legs.

Nothing like having a team so stacked that you have to redshirt your 4*

Comment

• Redshirting doesn't require any declaration, DS. If a guy never plays in a game, he doesn't use any eligibility (unless, of course, he's already sat out a year). And on the other hand, if you say you're planning to redshirt someone and then for whatever reason he does play, he uses up the year.

The reason people talk about redshirts is that eventually, if a guy never leaves the bench, someone's going to ask why not, and that's when the coach says (if he hasn't done so already) that the player in question is redshirting. The other thing is that, for obvious reasons of internal communication, a coach and player will discuss redshirting between themselves regardless of whether a formal announcement is ever made. No coach is going to surprise a player by never saying anything but also never playing him.

And by the way, you're right: Grant Gibbs is not impressed by anyone younger than 30.
                    Last edited by WSUwatcher; October 29, 2015, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• If we start continually redshirting our highest rated recruits consistently, what does that tell other possible recruits that have no desire to come ride the pine for a year?
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                        Grant Gibbs is not impressed by anyone younger than 30.

Impressed? I don't think it's even LEGAL for him to be around someone younger than 30.

Comment

• “With 18 guys on our team, I can give them the option, but if they don’t take my suggestion then it becomes DNP-Coaches Decision, which then still gives me the option,” Marshall said.

That's awesome.....DNP-Coach's decision. Love this guy.

Comment

• It goes to shw how mature Ron Baker was at 18 yrs old. While the veterans on th eteam were telling 3G that Ron needs to play, Ron was telling coach that he needed an extra year to catch up to the D1 game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              It goes to shw how mature Ron Baker was at 18 yrs old. While the veterans on th eteam were telling 3G that Ron needs to play, Ron was telling coach that he needed an extra year to catch up to the D1 game.
                              Perhaps Marshall should include Ron in any redshirt discussions with a player. Coach might not have to say a single word.

Comment

• I'm sure that if a scholarship had been available, that Ron would have already moved on after 4 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X