X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you call that officiating??

What a bunch of (expletive) that is!

Comment

The first step to improvement is putting Jim "Boomer" Bain out to pasture. He was the absolute worst official in the old Big 8 during the 1970's & 1980's. For MVC Supervisor of Officials, Elgin needs to hire John Debrow.

Gregg received three technicals this year. One "T" at home and two "T's" last night. Of the three, two technicals were called when Gregg had his back to the offical. It is what is and everyone knows it.
      Egotism is the anesthetic of stupidity.

Comment

Why would the MVC be upset that we give them money by going to STL in large numbers?

What's wrong with the rise of VB and dominance in baseball? It gives the MVC more publicity, visibility and ultimately, money.

Creighton started the high MBB coach's salary trend.

I don't think the all-sports trophy has much to do about anything.

Supposedly, Doug Elgin himself has encouraged many of the things you claim they dislike.

I'm just not buying that a general dislike (jealousy) of league coaches and admins is leading to biased officiating.

Comment

Many moons ago, when I was young & stupid, I was coaching at a location that I will not refer to and during the course of a playoff game, after a call that I did not agree with, refered to the offending official as a f-ing c. I did not use the abbreviations.

I got T'd up. I continued to rant and did not get thrown out.

Those officials had more guts and less ego than the bastards that did the game last night.

That's all I have to say about that.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
            Why would the MVC be upset that we give them money by going to STL in large numbers?

What's wrong with the rise of VB and dominance in baseball? It gives the MVC more publicity, visibility and ultimately, money.

Supposedly, Doug Elgin himself has encouraged many of the things you claim they dislike.

I'm just not buying that a general dislike (jealousy) of league coaches and admins is leading to biased officiating.

I also do not buy into the whole "everyone hates everything WSU" theory. But, darn it, it has been a tough season.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
              Those officials had more guts and less ego than the bastards that did the game last night.

That's all I have to say about that.
              It certainly seemed like those officials forgot they were officiating a tournament game. That they should be on their "A" game and that the coaches will be doing everthing they can to put their team in a position to win.

They performed like it was an exhibition game, and they were the exhibition.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                Originally posted by RoyalShock

I also do not buy into the whole "everyone hates everything WSU" theory. But, darn it, it has been a tough season.
                I agree, it can't be an "everyone hates WSU thing" because the "everyone hates Creighton" bias long precedes anything WSU may have built in recent years.

The thing I would like to point out from what I have seen, and many others here probably as well, is that even during our wins we noticed how poorly the games were officiated. We discussed it. It has been mentioned many times that on the other boards there is discussion about the quality of the referee's. It is effecting the whole conference, and if you watch any of the BCS games on TV, you see the same thing.

I sent an e-mail to the league office, asking if there are any "overall" grade cards that could be made public so the fans of the MVC knew that the ref's internal evaluations were higher than the fans thought. I, of course, never recieved a response.

Imagine if, maybe with Marty's help, and the help of other schools, made the MVC take notice that something needs to be either done, or a statement made outside the pure rhetoric statement on the website.

Elgin opening his email and having 3500 emails from at least 5 or 6 schools fans to show unity in the fact that the "Officials have Royally Sucked in 2007-2008"

Comment

WuDrWu said:

"I got T'd up. I continued to rant and did not get thrown out.
                  That's all I have to say about that."

I have to agree with you!

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me
                    As to Marshall's "T's", I'm a teacher, and sometimes you have a rotten little kid who is constantly getting in trouble, saying inappropriate things, and getting under your skin every second of the day. Now, eventually, he reaches your last nerve and does one more little thing and you explode and send him to the office. That last 'little thing' he did, viewed all by itself, probably did not warrant getting sent to the office, and if some other kid and done the same thing, they probably would not have been sent, but the build up of continued behavior is impossible to ignore.
                    I can buy that. I really can. However, would you have sent a kid home with an out of school suspension on finals day? I would think it would take a serious act to get that kind of punishment.

I've watched Marshall home and away, in conf and out of conf, and he is nowhere near as emotional / animated / whatever as Altman, or even Turgeon in his early years. Neither of those guys got ejected during the Conf Tourney.

Unless HCGM pulled a semi pro at half time, what could he have possibly done that these articles didn't pick up on that got him kicked?

Comment

Never in the history of the MVC Tourney has a coach gotten ejected, until last night. And it happened because a coach said "Foul" and turned his back to the officials.

Why does this not add up?

Comment

Idiots

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me
                        As to Marshall's "T's", I'm a teacher, and sometimes you have a rotten little kid who is constantly getting in trouble, saying inapproprate things, and getting under your skin every second of the day. Now, eventually, he reaches your last nerve and does one more little thing and you explode and send him to the office. That last 'little thing' he did, viewed all by itself, probably did not warrent getting sent to the office, and if some other kid and done the same thing, they probably would not have been sent, but the build up of continued behaviour is impossible to ignore.
                        Sorry, shock-it, buy I don't buy that as regards last night. Marshall isn't the only coach who ever talks to Valley officials on the way out at halftime, and as others have noted he isn't nearly as demonstrative as Sacred Cow Altman, among others -- nor was he last night.

If what we saw is an example of what the incompetent Collins considers excessive "demonstration," as he put it after the game, then he and his crew are too rabbit-eared and self-absorbed to be officiating in the first place. The game is not about them, and as hard as they may find this to believe, the hundreds of fans who showed up were not there to watch the interplay between them and the coaches. The sooner the Valley gets rid of these clowns the better, but I fear that no such positive step may be forthcoming.

Comment

Get a response

Downtown, if you want a response from Doug Elgin, tell him that you think something casts the integrity and quality of his product into question -- especially the integrity, as in fact it does when officials are so focused on being the guys in charge that they hand out free points and toss coaches as easily as happened last night. You will hear back from him.

Don't expect him to address the competence of his officials in any substantive way, though. What would really help is if this somehow became a story beyond just the Valley tournament and embarrassed the league around the country. Then Elgin would have to man up, as the saying goes.

Comment

I don't want to cast doubt on the competence of the officials, I just would like to know how they, as a whole over the season, graded themselves.

I think that information, with no detail into specific games or officials, should be made public so we knew how they thought they did.

Comment

The officials evaluate themsevles. Jim Bain, a former official, evaluates the refs. Gee, how do you think it's gonna turn out? Why not let Paul Allen evaluate Bill Gates' business practices? How do you think that would turn out?

Comment

Not to change the direction of the thread, but does anyone have the radio cast of the game last night?

On shockerradio it seems that the MVC game is the old Evansville game.

Am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
                                X