No announcement yet.

WSU vs. InSU - Post game discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

excerpt from the Terre Haute newpaper article. A little more information.

As it seems to be when ISU and Wichita State play each other, it was another bizarre game. This time it was thanks to the bench antics of Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall.

Marshall was ejected with 12:22 to go in the game after receiving his second technical foul. He had received his first technical foul from referee J.D. Collins just after halftime. He received a second one from Gerry Pollard, Marshall had spun in protest to a non-call, and has his back turned when the technical was assessed.

When Marshall realized he received the technical, he went ballistic. He jawed with the officiating crew for a time before leaving the court in a huff.

After leaving the floor, Marshall kept ranting outside the Wichita State locker room.

“I said foul on the first one and I didn’t say anything on the second one,” said Marshall to the assembled media.

Marshall then saw a member of the Missouri Valley Conference league office.

“I’m the new guy, right? Well [the ejection] was [expletive deleted]. Absolute crap,” Marshall said.

Marshall was the first coach ejected in MVC Tournament history. Moore made all four free throws as a result of the technical fouls.

Collins released a statement after the game.

“Both technical fouls were for bench decorum for demonstrating on either calls or no calls,” the statement said.

Several sources on the bench side of the court confirmed that Marshall was warned by the officials for profanity. A cooled off Marshall did not mention that after the game.

“J.D. Collins said I did something when I asked [MVC referee] Mike Sanzere a question going off the floor at halftime that had not been acceptable. J.D said I couldn’t referee … I understand what he means now because I said ‘foul’ and I got the first T,” Marshall said.

“And then the second technical foul kind of caught me off guard a little bit. I was just kind of kneeling, and I spun around away from the referee that had blown his whistle and I guess I was too demonstrative. But no one said anything to me other than you’ve got to leave,” Marshall added.

After Moore hit a pair of free throws to put ISU up 43-38, Marshall’s ejection briefly gave the Shockers life. The Shockers drew within a point within two minutes of the technical foul.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
      Any stat comparisons between the two on forcing ridiculously bad shots that shouldn't have been shot?
      Well I had to listen to the game on Sirius radio this time.
      I wasn't sure I would like it not being familiar with the announcers
      but they did a fairly good job I thought ( except for not knowing how to pronounce Gal's name ) anyways they seemed to think that decision making by the Shocks, shot selection was the biggest problem of the game ,followed by the free throw shooting % BUT<<<< they did have several comments about how Matt was taking some extremely bad shots in the game , off balance , not squared up, and forcing it up way too much,,,and I'd have to say his line for this game bears that out what was he in the end 3 of 17 I know he wanted it but hey some time wanting just isn't enough
      From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

Originally posted by OTR Shockfan
        Any stat comparisons between the two on forcing ridiculously bad shots that shouldn't have been shot?
        but they did a fairly good job I thought ( except for not knowing how to pronounce Gal's name ) anyways they seemed to think that decision making by the Shocks, shot selection was the biggest problem of the game ,followed by the free throw shooting % BUT<<<< they did have several comments about how Matt was taking some extremely bad shots in the game , off balance , not squared up, and forcing it up way too much,,,and I'd have to say his line for this game bears that out what was he in the end 3 of 17 I know he wanted it but hey some time wanting just isn't enough
        I realize Matt had a bad game tonight.

I was talking about comparing career bad shot statistics though, not just tonight's.

FWIW, the 3-17 (18%) by Matt was not much worse than the 2-10 (20%) by Gal.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Sorry, but that pisses me off.

Demonstration? Refereeing?

If that is being enforced, every coach should be ejected from every game. What coach doesn't do the same things we've seen HCGM get two technicals for?

I guess MVC games are like Jeopardy. You need to phrase your protests in the form of a question. Next time maybe instead of yelling "foul", he should yell, "Are you a freakiing moron?" That should pass the "demonstration" and "refereeing" tests!

Comment

I totally am with you on this one Royal.

"Referees are idiots."
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by OTR Shockfan
              I realize Matt had a bad game tonight.

I was talking about comparing career bad shot statistics though, not just tonight's.

FWIW, the 3-17 (18%) by Matt was not much worse than the 2-10 (20%) by Gal.
              I was just pointing out, that as bad as everyone seems to think Gal is, his stats are not that different from Matt's, and he is only a Soph.

Does Gal make boneheaded plays? Yes. Does he try to force his way into the lane? Yes. Do you think Matt is working with him to make better decisions on when to go into the land of the trees (at least we will have our own next year) and when to pull it back? Yes.

Looking at the solid guards coming into the Valley next year, I think we will regret not having Gal here nexy year. Will he start? That depends on how he develops over the summer. But he has a great teacher and mentor to help him, and no one has ever been able to question his work ethic.

Comment

Thanks for those articles. I don't even know what to say other than to dogpile on how stupid that is.

Coach has no reason to lie. I have to believe that what he said and did is exactly what he said and did (especially since the game wasn't on tv). Getting technicals on those two actions is just absurd.

Also what is with that TH article? "This time it was thanks to the bench antics of Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall. " What antics?

I'm trying to figure out what the valley has against WSU and HCGM. What did we do to make these refs hate us?

Comment

DSB..

I remember when Matt was a freshman. He turned the ball over a few times. When he was a sophomore, he made huge shots and was a huge asset on our team during a sweet 16 run.

I never remembered Matty B. ever coming close to making my blood pressure rise as much as Gal has. You can ask others on here the same question.

I think Gal would be a fine guard..

in Division II.

Good luck to him where ever he goes though.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
                    Thanks for those articles. I don't even know what to say other than to dogpile on how stupid that is.

Coach has no reason to lie. I have to believe that what he said and did is exactly what he said and did (especially since the game wasn't on tv). Getting technicals on those two actions is just absurd.

Also what is with that TH article? "This time it was thanks to the bench antics of Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall. " What antics?

I'm trying to figure out what the valley has against WSU and HCGM. What did we do to make these refs hate us?
                    I agree. It doesn't make much sense. It kinda reminds me of the Randy Smithson days when we were known for committing more fouls than making field goals.. and the refs knew it as well.

All this unnecessary hate will come back to bite these guys in the butt sooner or later.

As for the TH writer, Indiana State basketball is so boring to him that he constantly feels the need to turn the attention away from ISU and on to WSU. I don't blame him since Terre Haute hasn't had anything to get excited about since the late 1970's.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Media room post game.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                        Sorry, but that pisses me off.

Demonstration? Refereeing?

If that is being enforced, every coach should be ejected from every game. What coach doesn't do the same things we've seen HCGM get two technicals for?

I guess MVC games are like Jeopardy. You need to phrase your protests in the form of a question. Next time maybe instead of yelling "foul", he should yell, "Are you a freakiing moron?" That should pass the "demonstration" and "refereeing" tests!
                        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

A former Coach of the Year had problems with Sanzere as well.

Breaking Cincinnati news, traffic, weather and local headlines from The Cincinnati Enquirer newspaper.

I just remember the Missouri State game at Koch. Sanzere seemed to swallow the whistle, but JD Collins seemed to have an attitude about calling fouls. Sanzere would actually listen to HCGM contest calls while I remember Collins warning the bench.

Gerry Pollard, the guy that ran coach out has had issues with us before.

Thomasson just had some mutterances for Gerry Pollard after being whistled for a third foul. Pollard didn’t let it go, had some words back at Phil.

Phil goes out, Durley in with two fouls.

I think Pollard’s getting tired of the comments. He said something to Mekel, who just drew his second, and it wasn’t about tucking in his jersey.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

What really gets my goat, and my goat has been gotten a lot recently, is that absolutely nothing will come of this.

The MVC can't come out and say anything because it will make all the refs mad and it will open the door for every incident to be put on this level. "Oh, we got jobbed like HCGM did. Why won't the MVC come out and say something for us?!"

The only thing I can hope is that Commissioner Doug Elgin does something behind the scenes. At the very least he owes HCGM an apology.

HCGM says something at half time, gets warned, but then gets a T for saying "Foul"? That is some ticky tak b.s. right there but if you want to be staunch about it, "he was warned."

But then a second T, one that gets him kicked out of a game of this magnitude for spinning around? Are you kidding me? Especially when it was a blown call! Look back at my highlight video from last year for WSU vs Syracuse. Heck, watch any close game EVER and you will see more reaction than that from coaches.

To kick a guy out for that is just awful. I know WSU "doesn't want to make excuses" and I can see that and accept that even w/o those technicals that we would probably have still lost. So with that said, I really REALLY hope that WSU files some kind of formal complaint w/ whomever such a complaint needs to be made.

Comment

If the NCAA is truly serious about these bench decorum rules, then as a part of it they need to make sure that referees have to answer for blowing calls. From Kennedy's description on the radio, it sounded like Phil was clearly fouled before that second technical. It should have at least been a personal foul, if not an intentional foul call on Indiana State. The part that really gets me about that noncall is that players can get hurt on plays like that. With all of the injury problems we have had this year, I would be disappointed if Marshall did not let the refs have it for not calling a foul on something like that.

How much do these out of control refs contribute to fans getting more unruly? Maybe if fans found out when their team has been wronged like ours was tonight that the refs do eventually end up PAYING $$$$$ for it, then maybe they would not get as unruly.

Comment

I hope and believe that next year we will not have to be worrying about bad calls, no call calls and the like because we will have upgraded our players and games will not be close enough to make a difference. This may take two years but I am hopeful that next year will have a huge upgrade in the players being able to at least shoot well with an inside presence.

I hope that Gal Mekel is back as a Shocker. Does he need to improve? yes but he is not the reason we did not win this year and he certainly was not the only player that made boneheaded plays this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X