WSU vs. InSU - Post game discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalShock
    I find it interesting when Marshall says he was told not to referee and received a technical for saying "foul".
    Now I didn't see the play, but something tells me coach might possibly be under-exaggerating a bit.

I'm almost positive the refs wouldn't have called a T for just saying 'foul' all by its lonesome.

Then again, these are some of the worst referees money can buy..

But seriously, I'm guessing he might have left a few things out.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Matt Braeuer Min:34.5 PPG:12.2 RPG:3.4 APG:3.4 T/O:2.3 A to TO:1.5/1

Gal Mekel Min:31.0 PPG:9.4 RPG:3.1 APG:3.7 T/O:2.8 A to TO:1.3/1

Matt shot 45% from th field to Gal's 36%. From 3, Matt 36%, Gal 29%. FT Matt 54%, Gal 88%.

Matt shot almost as many 3's as Gal did, in 10 less games. Matt shot 50 less FG's in 10 less games.

Matt is a Senior, Gal is a Sophomore. Apples and oranges. So lets compare this:

2005-2006: MB 5.4 ppg, 2.4 apg in 24 min avg. 2.1 assist to TO. 38% FG, 70% FT, and 30% 3PG.

Comment

Any stat comparisons between the two on forcing ridiculously bad shots that shouldn't have been shot?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Yeah, it's called FG %. Every shot they take is tracked as either made or missed.

Comment

Coach at the game:

Comment

"I have never heard an entire bench scream WALK, or FOUL, as loudly and consistently as CU's did. In fact, I have never heard an entire bench yell anything at the officials the way CU's did constantly throughout the game. If the coach wants to argue, fine. If an assistant wants to yell from his seat, fine. It isn't necessary for the bench to jump up and yell every time CU applies a full court press." Posted by UE-BBALL#1

There wasnt a single T called on CU's bench for that. Now I know that they werent the same officiating crew but anyone who was watched Shocker basketball, specially in league play, cant argue that we have gotten the short end of the stick with the officiating. If our coach is truely getting a T for yelling foul during the MVC tourney and teams like CU get away with things like posted above there needs to be an investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hein72
                "I have never heard an entire bench scream WALK, or FOUL, as loudly and consistently as CU's did. In fact, I have never heard an entire bench yell anything at the officials the way CU's did constantly throughout the game. If the coach wants to argue, fine. If an assistant wants to yell from his seat, fine. It isn't necessary for the bench to jump up and yell every time CU applies a full court press." Posted by UE-BBALL#1

There wasnt a single T called on CU's bench for that. Now I know that they werent the same officiating crew but anyone who was watched Shocker basketball, specially in league play, cant argue that we have gotten the short end of the stick with the officiating. If our coach is truely getting a T for yelling foul during the MVC tourney and teams like CU get away with things like posted above there needs to be an investigation.
                Even if Marshall's T was called for, there is no question that Dana gets away with murder when it comes to questioning calls.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                  Yeah, it's called FG %. Every shot they take is tracked as either made or missed.
                  No. There's a difference between FG%, which includes all FG's shot in a game, good and bad, and just the bad ones.

I specifically wanna know if there is a stat available to compare the two on how many forced and ridiculously bad shots each have taken..

There's such a thing as missing a 'good' shot.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                    Even if Marshall's T was called for, there is no question that Dana gets away with murder when it comes to questioning calls.
                    This is fact.

I'd really like to see Bradley put those featherwankers out of their misery.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I actually thought that Marshall was going to go over there and punch him, he looked that upset. Being there at the game unless something was said that "Little" ears should not hear, there was no reason for either technical. After all of that I still have to hand it to the guys. They were still in it till the end, if the guys play with as much heart next year it will be an excitng year.

Comment

Well, lets put it this way, if forced shots count the same as bad shots, i think you would find Matt and Gal again pretty level.

Both took and missed "Good" and "Bad" shots tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneShocker
                          I actually thought that Marshall was going to go over there and punch him, he looked that upset. Being there at the game unless something was said that "Little" ears should not hear, there was no reason for either technical. After all of that I still have to hand it to the guys. They were still in it till the end, if the guys play with as much heart next year it will be an excitng year.
                          I get the impression Aaron is hitting the gym with Ramon. Hopefully they are dragging JT kicking and screaming with them.

Comment

Des Moines Register blog

Drake at the MVC Tourney: The Madness has officially begun
                            Posted 3/6/2008 9:45 PM CST on Des Moines Register
                            There's a reason they call it 'Arch Madness.' With 12:22 left in the first game of the 2008 Missouri Valley Conference men's basketball tournament, Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall received his second technical of the half and was ejected.

But the story doesn't end there.

Marshall apparently left the floor screaming like a banshee. When reporters in the media work room at the Scottrade Center rushed into the tunnel to see what all the commotion was about, Marshall began ranting that he had been wronged by officials and grumbled about being the new guy in the league.

Cooler heads prevailed during this postgame exchange:

REPORTER: "You didn't say anything to precipitate it?"

MARSHALL: "The first one, I said, 'Foul.'"

REPORTER: "On the second one?"

MARSHALL: "I didn't open my mouth."

REPORTER: "Coach, when the official grabbed you, basically, and then put his arm across your chest and was pulling on you, was that prior to the second technical foul, or was that after?"

MARSHALL: "I — it was after. That was when he told me I had to leave. I was kind of — obviously disappointed and upset, and I — you know, it just kind of goes along with our year. It's just another part of adversity that these young men had to deal with. The first time that's happened. I've received three technicals all year, and you saw two of them. I tried to be on my best behavior, but obviously, it wasn't what they wanted to see. I need to do better."

"Both technical fouls were for bench decorum," official J.D. Collins said in a statement, "for demonstrating on either calls or no calls."

And there you go. Wichita State lost, 71-67, to Indiana State, which means Marshall won't get that rematch with Drake that he said he wanted so badly after losing last Saturday at the Knapp Center. The eighth-seeded Sycamores are the Bulldogs' problem tomorrow, starting at noon.

Comment

I talked with a friend who was at the game. He said Gregg made a case to the officials on the way off the court at the end of the first half. Good for Gregg

JD Collins was an official Mark had trouble with also. Maybe every coach does.

Comment

Or maybe Collins just has a problem with WSU..

My new motto:

"Referees are idiots."
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X