No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm gaining more comfort by the season knowing Jans is available if and when needed.

Comment

• Double Post

Comment

• I curious why so many of you believe it's a foregone conclusion that Chris Jans would want the job should Gregg Marshall leave. It is possible he might not want to follow HCGM. It's possible he has other schools at the top of his list. Most Shocker fans would feel the program was in good hands if HCCJ were to follow HCGM, myself included. It's just pretty presumptuous to consider it a done deal in my opinion.
        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Shock Top
          Shock Top commented
          Editing a comment
          Because Jans LOVED WSU and Wichita

• shock
          shock commented
          Editing a comment
          And so does Chris’s wife. They still have a house here, right?

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
        I curious why so many of you believe it's a foregone conclusion that Chris Jans would want the job should Gregg Marshall leave. It is possible he might not want to follow HCGM. It's possible he has other schools at the top of his list. Most Shocker fans would feel the program was in good hands if HCCJ were to follow HCGM, myself included. It's just pretty presumptuous to consider it a done deal in my opinion.
        I have no doubt Chris Jans would be our next coach if Gregg leaves in the next three years. Let's say Gregg coaches for another 8-10 years, he would be 65-67 years old. Jans is seven years younger than Gregg. We are not going to hire a 57 year old coach at that point.

Comment

• AndShock
          AndShock commented
          Editing a comment
          Why not? I’m assuming Jans will want to coach a while longer than Marshall but even if he doesn’t, having a coach for 7 years in the current landscape isn’t exactly bad. Plus the added benefit of giving an extra 7 years for that coaching tree to grow.

• WuShock16
          WuShock16 commented
          Editing a comment
          Roy Williams was 52 (almost 53) when he took UNC job, and he’s still there 16 years later. I’m okay with hiring a sub-60 Jans and getting 10 years out of him.

• I’m confident our Coach is staying right where he is and I think he has taught us to believe that we deserve it and to take a back seat to no one.

Comment

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          He's stated he can win a 'natty' here and knows what it takes to make it to Final Fours... he already has the tools; all he needs is a little more material.

Fred = #betonyourself
          Coach Marshall = #believeinyourself

https://media.giphy.com/media/nqkYdR...7xPP/giphy.gif

• Hogville unlocked the Marshall thread. They still think they have a chance. They apparently flew him and Lynn out Wednesday night, gave him a lowball offer that was no more than what he makes here and now are waiting on Beard before making Marshall a legit offer.

Soo many holes in that plan lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
          Hogville unlocked the Marshall thread. They still think they have a chance. They apparently flew him and Lynn out Wednesday night, gave him a lowball offer that was no more than what he makes here and now are waiting on Beard before making Marshall a legit offer.

Soo many holes in that plan lol
          Like an Onion article, but real life.

To be honest though, that sounds like a rumor that’s been whispered through so many ears there’s no legitimacy left in the message. What is described is not what any business recruiter would do when trying to secure new talent. It just isn’t. D1 ADs might not be perfect every time, but they’re not so stupid as to step on their own dee like that. Hiring talent isn’t an auction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
            a lowball offer that was no more than what he makes here
            do what now?

Comment

• You just gotta know Gregg is waiting on pins and needles to find out if he is their 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice, and if they're going to counter their 1st offer to him with something that might equal the money that he's making right now.

Yeah, this looks like a good idea for them. They should tell him that Kellen can't come along, but that Devon has to.....and say something derogatory about his mom. That actually might improve their chances. It couldn't make them any worse, that's for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

do what now?
                Basically they asked him to move without giving him a raise.

Which is a lowball offer in elite coaches offers

Comment

• The only scenario that kind of scares me is if UCLA starts acting like the blue blood they believe they are and back up the Brinks truck for Tony Bennett, leaving Virginia open. IMO Bennett is one of the best coaches to not have won a national championship, (not named Marshall of course) the dude made Washington St. legit when he was there, you know the crappy WSU...Now Virginia isn’t a blue blood but Bennett has proven you can win in the ACC with a Marshall style and approach plus they’ve got a ton of money because of this I believe they’d put the full court press on Marshall if Bennett were to leave. Plus, has we all know he’s familiar that part of the country...

There are several things that will stop this but here are the main two.

One, if reports are true and they were scared off by the 8 mil buyout for Dixon...a good to borderline better than good coach. So wowing Bennett will serious jack seems like a long shot.

Two, he wins a national champion at Virginia then more than likely he won’t feel he needs to move jobs to get a championship(s).

If Marshall ever leaves I’ll be mad initially but then I’ll collect myself and thank the man for taking my school to unprecedented heights and leaving not the only the program but the school in a much better state then when he arrived. Hope he retires here but if not I still won’t be able to thank the man enough for all the joy and pride he’s brought to my family and the awesome city!
                  If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• it's always about the money

Comment

• Stickboy46
                      Stickboy46 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Except when you are still getting paid when you go on that trip. And don't have anything else you could be doing at that time.

• pinstripers
                      pinstripers commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I suppose that he never really flew anywhere.

• Dan
                      Dan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      GM flies on private jets and wines and dines for a living. He has no reason to go there and jump through the hoops unless he has serious interest in that job. I would also imagine his agent has vetted the offer and determined if it’s worth his time for a face to face meeting. My guess is the meeting never even happened.

• Greetings I come in peace. Lifelong Arkansas fan looking for an outside perspective and just got done reading all the recent posts. (but dang 397 pages I understand why it's hard to take our interest seriously) First I just want to say I agree hogvile is absolute trash please do not judge an entire state based on those morons. I think most of them are still living in the 50's, some are actually connected to our BoT so it's worth reading sometimes if you can handle reading everyone repeating the same delusions 7,000 times for a nugget of truth. Try our reddit for slightly more rational discussion.

Second, I (and I think most Hog fans) have a great deal of respect for your program. Your success under HCGM has been incredible and I think most of us are peeing ourselves at the thought of landing him. Since 2007 Arkansas has averaged the 39th recruiting class in the nation and WS has averaged 113th (247's data). I mention not as a dis but just to marvel at how drastically more successful WS has been than us in the same time span. I think a ton of that has to do with the bad ass you have for a coach.

A little perspective on Arkansas if you're interested. Yes we have idiots that shoot each other with bullet proof vests on ect. (worked in an ER so I got to see a lot of the dumb dumbs) but that is a tiny minority of our state, especially in NWA where the college is. Easiest joke is to say we sleep with our sisters, do meth and have no teeth... but honestly that's a lazy attack and I've lived in Arkansas for 26 years and encountered met any of the above. Fayetteville is a beautiful fast growing city with a low cost of living consistently ranked as one of the best places to live in the country by US News and World Report and others (#5 most recently). Walmart, Tyson Foods, J.B. Hunt trucking and other Forbes 500 companies are headquartered here causing the economy to thrive. Crystal Bridges Museum is a world class over 1.2+ billion dollar facility that recently opened here. I could go on and on but it would bore you. I haven't been to Lubbock or Tuscaloosa but I bet we could at least give them a run for their money.

Most of our fans would agree that going after coaches like Beard, Sampson and Marshall is a pipe dream to say the least. I think that just speaks to the very very high expectations we have in Arkansas. Yes it is a bit delusional at times, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take -Wane Gretzky -Michael Scott. We don't have a professional sports team, so all 3 million of us root for the Hogs.

Business insider recently ranked Arkansas the 16th most valuable college sports program with an average revenue of 114 million a year, and Forbes placed us as the 14th most valuable basketball program in a 2019 article. That's not to mention the wealthy (Waltons ect.) boosters. This entire state invests in the university. And unlike Alabama basketball tradition is huge for us most of us remember 1994 and are dying to get back. We just spent 160 million on a football stadium endzone complex, 20 million on a basketball practice facility, just got brand new football locker rooms and baseball is getting a 40 million outfield complex. Fans here are insane and about ALL Arkansas sports because it's the only team we have. Unlike Alabama we care intensely about basketball (relative to football) and can pack out our 20,000 seat arena. Fan support, facilities, tradition money are all here, but the results are laughably not. We are a sleeping giant and I think HCGM could wake us up.

(side note yes the hog call is flipping weird, but can also be intimidating. Imagine 75,000 people raising their arms and screaming at you on que out of nowhere)

TLDR: I have no teeth and married my sister after a meth bender
                    Last edited by AlienHog; April 7, 2019, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• Topshock
                      Topshock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Whatever. This is a pretty sophisticated board, particularly by Arkansas standards . We have a good idea what AK , most other schools and their communities have to offer. Where the ignorance comes into play, is a lot of other fans don't seem to have a clue what Wichita State and Wichita have to offer.

• AlienHog
                      AlienHog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What does Alaska have to do with this? jk, but I think that sentiment is universal. Most fans don't think other schools understand what they are about, and it's probably accurate for the most part. I don't pretend to know all of what Wichita State and Wichita have to offer. I think the ignorance is pretending to know about a place where you've never lived. If you're looking for someone to make fun of check out Florida Man.
                      Last edited by AlienHog; April 7, 2019, 10:05 AM.

• shock
                      shock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You have no idea how many times I give a vender my shipping info and they give me a low rate and I ask them to double check that and they say, oh, we thought you were in Arkansas. Smh people. Pay attention in school

• Even if it turns out there is no fire to this Marshall to UA rumor, this thread will be popular the next few weeks....A few dominoes still to fall....Hate this time of year.

Comment

• Alien, ok I admire your school and program; all the more reason to get your own coach i.e. not ours! When you do, come back any time!

Comment

• AlienHog
                        AlienHog commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looks like you may get your wish
                    Working...
                    X