No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You guys are gonna drive yourselves nuts. SEC fan sites and message boards are blackholes for intelligent insight.

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
      Bottom Line

If the school offers you full power over the program, you now have complete control over an SEC basketball program. If Alabama decides to more than double your salary, going from 1.5 million including incentives to 4 million dollars, that’s going to be hard to turn down. Oh, the beautiful lake front properties that are available right now.

Not only will the salary go up but a potential future coach can also expect a blank check to invest into recruiting, and let’s just go ahead and throw in a plane. See what I’m getting at? You have the full control over a program, a hefty pay increase and an athletics program that is willing to go all in. The love to win is great, but how about the challenge of turning one of the biggest athletic programs around in basketball? Winning at a mid-major can be rewarding, but how about potentially waking up a monster in the SEC? Want more of a challenge? You can prove to yourself you’re among the best on a yearly basis by going up against John Calipari and the Kentucky Wildcats.

Have I gone full Gump mode now? I think I have. Time to take a rest. Maybe I’ll go read how Forbes has Alabama listed as the 14th most valuable basketball program. Maybe I’ll go dream about where the school could go when they actually have a successful plan in place.

http://bamahammer.com/2015/03/26/why...ma-basketball/
      How about just wake up in the morning, and the morning after, and the morning after, etc...knowing WSU basketball coach is Gregg Marshall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
        You guys are gonna drive yourselves nuts. SEC fan sites and message boards are blackholes for intelligent insight.
        If everyone wants to see great examples of poor logic and confirmation bias, have I got a deal for you!

Comment

• Here are my 2 cents.

Marshall is talking with Alabama....probably today. He already said he would. Ultimately digging out of the depths of that conference no matter what the salary or freedom of running the program allows--it will be a ton of work. overcoming 2nd chair in the athletic department to Saban...not going to happen. A completely different lifestyle and situation than the Marshall family has been with over the last 17 years. Not going to happen.

Texas will fire Barnes and call for Marshall. They should. Tempting, but see above. Austin is weird. I don't think Marshall cares about Bill Self or playing KU past the WSU in state connection so we can remove that from motivation. Texas lands a big/known name...Shaka Smart, Maybe Steve Lavin, pulls Scott Drew from Baylor. Possibilities. Rick Barnes might even end up at Alabama.

WSU isn't taking a step back next year (I know...I know...tekele and Darius will be missed, but lots of young faces stepped up late season and additional offensive power from CF). Marshall is committed to that core group. FVV is like a son to him. Baker has unfinished business. Wessel would jump on a grenade for him.

Marshall stays for next season. Texas lands a known name. Alabama gets a decent hire but grossly overpays.

Comment

Bottom Line

If the school offers you full power over the program, you now have complete control over an SEC basketball program. If Alabama decides to more than double your salary, going from 1.5 million including incentives to 4 million dollars, that’s going to be hard to turn down. Oh, the beautiful lake front properties that are available right now.

Not only will the salary go up but a potential future coach can also expect a blank check to invest into recruiting, and let’s just go ahead and throw in a plane. See what I’m getting at? You have the full control over a program, a hefty pay increase and an athletics program that is willing to go all in. The love to win is great, but how about the challenge of turning one of the biggest athletic programs around in basketball? Winning at a mid-major can be rewarding, but how about potentially waking up a monster in the SEC? Want more of a challenge? You can prove to yourself you’re among the best on a yearly basis by going up against John Calipari and the Kentucky Wildcats.

Have I gone full Gump mode now? I think I have. Time to take a rest. Maybe I’ll go read how Forbes has Alabama listed as the 14th most valuable basketball program. Maybe I’ll go dream about where the school could go when they actually have a successful plan in place.

http://bamahammer.com/2015/03/26/why...ma-basketball/
            1.5 million including incentives? Five years ago maybe. He's at 2M before incentives now with an opportunity to make another million if he wins a title.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Don't underestimate Alabama's ability to make Gregg Marshall say 'Roll Tide!'

Bill Battle has a lot to offer as he zeroes in on the biggest potentially available big fish in the pond in the refreshingly honest Wichita State coach.

Weak arguments...
              Like Altman saying "pig sooey"?
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• fwiw, Texas average attendance was 10,186 in 2013-14 in Erwin Sports Center that seats 16,540.

Alabama averaged 10,754 in Coleman Coliseum that seats 15,383.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                  fwiw, Texas average attendance was 10,186 in 2013-14 in Erwin Sports Center that seats 16,540.

Alabama averaged 10,754 in Coleman Coliseum that seats 15,383.
                  WSUs average attendance was 10,732 in Koch arena which holds 10,506.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                    WSUs average attendance was 10,732 in Koch arena which holds 10,506.
                    I'm pretty sure they included IBA numbers. Sounds like we need a bigger joint.

Comment

• Even if you have no intention of leaving, you always listen to offers, it helps negotiations for a salary increase when you can cite your market rate. It's also nice to get a front row view of top notch football bought facilities... to tell Chuck what we need in our new athletic offices and training facilities that are already under plans for construction. I slept well last night.
                      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• I don't want HCGM to go, but if he does, I'd much rather see him go to Texas than Alabama. Eff Alabama!!!

Comment

• And unlike when MT left, the cupboard is definitely NOT empty. My real concern would be if we could keep our committed recruits.

Comment

• And he probably won't tamper with our in-coming recruits like HCMT did.

Comment

• ...........and does he take the entire staff, plus Baker, with him........

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                ...........and does he take the entire staff, plus Baker, with him........
                                ROFLMAO. Great to start the day with a laugh!

Comment

Working...
                                X