The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Marshall want to rebuild?

How many more job changes does he have left?

If he is at Memphis with 2 mediocre years of rebuild, does he get the job that he covets if it opens up?

My point being, he is primed for the next marquee job whenever it opens up while here at Wichita. Im not sure he would risk his stature he holds now, to go to a rebuild program.

Kinda wondering if Memphis would qualify as his end game, when the chances are more lijely that WSU keeps on rolling.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
      Does Marshall want to rebuild?

How many more job changes does he have left?

If he is at Memphis with 2 mediocre years of rebuild, does he get the job that he covets if it opens up?

My point being, he is primed for the next marquee job whenever it opens up while here at Wichita. Im not sure he would risk his stature he holds now, to go to a rebuild program.

Kinda wondering if Memphis would qualify as his end game, when the chances are more lijely that WSU keeps on rolling.
      This is what I'm wondering. In all reality, Memphis really don't have that much better of a history than WSU. Especially since most of their really good years have been vacated.

Either way, If Marshall takes any job this year or the next couple, I will have lost a TON of respect for him. If he would have taken any last year, I wouldn't have cared, but to just so quickly after WSU went above and beyond to get him a new contract would just be of very low character. I'm sure many of the donors would feel the same way.

Comment

• Memphis has Football but it doesn't rule
        Memphis is in a multiple bid league
        Memphis boosters have FedEx money
        Memphis is a hotbed of recruiting talent

It is a sleeping giant--and HCGM would be just the right guy to wake it up

But... Wichita is home now for the Marshalls, not Virginia or SC. His mottos have been "coach where you are loved" and "don't mess with happy".

The crappiness of this conference and us not doing a damn thing about it would be the ONLY reason he would leave.
        Sometimes it is not just a money grab, it is increasing your opportunities to win it all.

The money rumors that @shock: alluded to are credible so again, it would not be a money grab that caused him to leave

Comment

• Based on the talk so far, Drew picked Vandy over GT. Pastner is considering bolting Memphis for GT. This means Vandy>GT>Memphis. Marshall says no to number one, but yes to number three?

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
            Jeff *******:I am sorry Wichita State fans ... But Memphis is a better job.
            11:04pm - 7 Apr 16

Jeff seems to be smoking some strong crack over there at espn studios.
            Ah, that's the radio face we know and love. It's been a little bit but he's finally back to form.

If that job is truly better, then I guess Marshall is gone. Care to put your money where you distorted mouth is Jeffy?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Memphis is a far better job than Vandy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                Whether it is a better job or not, it is closer to home for Marshall.
                And so is Middle Tennessee State. What's your point?
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• My big question would be did the talk about changing conferences stagnate? If WSU is stuck, I can't blame him if he wants to leave someday, regardless of where it may be. I don't think he will go to Memphis, but I'm starting to believe the MVC is never going to correct itself. Id love to see us get something on the table right now about conference realignment to counter the inevitable "Marshall to you name the school" for the next two months.

Comment

• Why would Pastner be a candidate for any job above the MVC's level right now? Is GaTech that desperate? Is Bruce Weber on their short list, too?

Comment

• That would be one of the strangest hires ever. The GT AD must have a hankering for the unemployment line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                        My big question would be did the talk about changing conferences stagnate? If WSU is stuck, I can't blame him if he wants to leave someday, regardless of where it may be. I don't think he will go to Memphis, but I'm starting to believe the MVC is never going to correct itself. Id love to see us get something on the table right now about conference realignment to counter the inevitable "Marshall to you name the school" for the next two months.
                        The main reason football talk has surfaced from Bardo is because of realignment. We just have to wait for the consultant's report, before making any decisions. We're in a holding pattern.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                          The main reason football talk has surfaced from Bardo is because of realignment. We just have to wait for the consultant's report, before making any decisions. We're in a holding pattern.
                          If we are in a holding pattern too long and we lose Marshall, then everything in that report becomes null and void. Like it or not, we would have to have a heck of hire after Marshall for a conference to think the same about WSU without him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                            If we are in a holding pattern too long and we lose Marshall, then everything in that report becomes null and void. Like it or not, we would have to have a heck of hire after Marshall for a conference to think the same about WSU without him.
                            Wichita State is not just 3G... I'm sorry but I've never subscribed to that theory. Will it make a conference think twice? Maybe. But the reasons why 3G AND Turg had success here are still here.. Money, facilities, FAN SUPPORT, and alll the other things.

Let's just all try to remember that going forward. Marshall is not Wichita State. That is the attitude I've always had. This program has had success because we are set up to be one of the most successful schools outside of the P5 that there is. It's no accident.

And it isn't dependent on Marshall.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
                              Wichita State is not just 3G... I'm sorry but I've never subscribed to that theory. Will it make a conference think twice? Maybe. But the reasons why 3G AND Turg had success here are still here.. Money, facilities, FAN SUPPORT, and alll the other things.

Let's just all try to remember that going forward. Marshall is not Wichita State. That is the attitude I've always had. This program has had success because we are set up to be one of the most successful schools outside of the P5 that there is. It's no accident.

My point is that Marshall moving in the middle of possible negotiations with a new conference WOULD change those negotiations. It would all depend on who WSU hires after him.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

I agree. WSU will be able to continue to succeed by hiring good x and o coaches. That being said we would just as soon keep 3G, once a Shocker always a Shocker . I just like the guy.
                                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                                X