The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    Because they are seriously too busy debating the merits of Marshall, Buzz Williams, Calhoun, Boyle, Crean, Bennett, and such for the vacancy, in the inevitable position that a majority of those guys accepts the job simultaneously for less money than each currently makes. At least this is what their forums are running with.

Oh... and "no news is good news" with all of the above list.

This coming from a school with less MBB history and tradition than ourselves, with an athletic department financially supported in the bottom 10th percentile of P5's.
    I laughed at their list. I was waiting for Phil Jackson or something like that to show up on their list of people fighting to be their next coach.

EDIT: I also love how everyone else is a rebuild yet they have a "full cupboard" ... even though they have zero idea who will transfer out after meeting their new coach (which ALWAYS happens), along with losing their 2 best players already.

Comment

• It is humorous when both sides talk about outbidding the other with our millionaire/billionaire donors as if the bidding war is going to reach into the $10s of millions.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        I laughed at their list. I was waiting for Phil Jackson or something like that to show up on their list of people fighting to be their next coach.

EDIT: I also love how everyone else is a rebuild yet they have a "full cupboard" ... even though they have zero idea who will transfer out after meeting their new coach (which ALWAYS happens), along with losing their 2 best players already.
        Yes, their board is full of optimism. Turgeon? Claim what they will about Wichita State, we do have the Valley, but Maryland? The thought is laughable. Maryland is a top 15 program and I would guess Mark will be there unless BS decides to leave. Vandy on the same level as Wichita State, whatever; Vandy on the same level as Maryland, lmao.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
          Do you guys think all this talk about HCGM possibly leaving at the end of every season hurts recruiting? I do remember reading something last year where an Alabama recruit who had been recruited by wsu stated he wasnt surprised marshall didnt go to alabama because marshall told him "i will never leave wsu for another school", have to wonder if thats what he tells all his possible recruits because landry basically said the same thing last year on twitter.
          I'd say as time goes on, it hurts less and less and can possibly help recruiting because Marshall is in the spotlight after every season it seems. He's deemed one of the best coaches in college basketball by about anyone willing to write an article about the potential of a school getting him, and he's included in nearly every big job opening out there. I'd be hard pressed to find a top recruit that WSU is going after that doesn't know who Gregg Marshall is before the call or visit happens. When asked about the potential of him leaving WSU, I think all Gregg has to do is say "Look at my track record. I've coached at 2 schools in nearly 20 years of being a head coach. Do I look like a job hopper?"
          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
            It is humorous when both sides talk about outbidding the other with our millionaire/billionaire donors as if the bidding war is going to reach into the $10s of millions.
            I agree with this, even though I've argued the point that WSU can win a bidding war. Be able to and actually doing it are two different things. At some point, its not a good strategy. WSU has the donors to win a bidding war, doesn't mean they will partake in it.

IMO, if it comes down to a bidding war this year, you have to let him walk anyways. Can't keep doing this every year. There has to be some level of commitment to WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
              I'd say as time goes on, it hurts less and less and can possibly help recruiting because Marshall is in the spotlight after every season it seems. He's deemed one of the best coaches in college basketball by about anyone willing to write an article about the potential of a school getting him, and he's included in nearly every big job opening out there. I'd be hard pressed to find a top recruit that WSU is going after that doesn't know who Gregg Marshall is before the call or visit happens. When asked about the potential of him leaving WSU, I think all Gregg has to do is say "Look at my track record. I've coached at 2 schools in nearly 20 years of being a head coach. Do I look like a job hopper?"
              Not only that schools are going after him but school are literally trying to give him a blank check to come coach them.

Comment

• If all it takes is a blank check, I have some of those.

Comment

• I believe it when people say HCGM will not leave for another school, but I also believe he would leave for the NBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                    I agree with this, even though I've argued the point that WSU can win a bidding war. Be able to and actually doing it are two different things. At some point, its not a good strategy. WSU has the donors to win a bidding war, doesn't mean they will partake in it.

IMO, if it comes down to a bidding war this year, you have to let him walk anyways. Can't keep doing this every year. There has to be some level of commitment to WSU.
                    +1 Agreed. Like all things, it will be a out of left field and thats that. He made his money. Now he wants championships. Or he can retire here and enjoy Saturday nights at Margaritas.

Comment

• Originally posted by lemuel777 View Post
                      I believe it when people say HCGM will not leave for another school, but I also believe he would leave for the NBA.
                      There is literally no circumstance where I could see this happening.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I don't know about 'literally no', but generally I agree. He has openly stated on multiple occasions that he doesn't like the idea of "coaching" and babysitting in the NBA. He has not openly stated that he will never leave WSU for another school.

Comment

That's why I was floored when Brad Stevens left Butler. I didn't see that one coming either. I know, different set of circumstances, but a surprise no less.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                            I don't know about 'literally no', but generally I agree. He has openly stated on multiple occasions that he doesn't like the idea of "coaching" and babysitting in the NBA. He has not openly stated that he will never leave WSU for another school.
                            I agree, but in one of the video interviews about Fred and Ron, he did let it slip that he'd probably not have the opportunity to coach them again unless it was in the NBA.
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                              I agree, but in one of the video interviews about Fred and Ron, he did let it slip that he'd probably not have the opportunity to coach them again unless it was in the NBA.
                              I generally took all those comments as his attempt to pimp Ron and Fred to the NBA at every opportunity, continually stating that's where they belong.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                                I think that was just a compliment to those guys, and really nothing else.

Comment

Working...
                                X