Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Gary Parrish ‏@Gary:ParrishCBS · 2h2 hours ago

FWIW … Bryce Drew is essentially picking Vanderbilt over Georgia Tech. He could’ve had either, I’m told.
    IMO, this is a no-brainer. Stallings was at Vandy for quite some time (17 years). Looks like there's stability there, provided you can produce at a reasonable level.

Meanwhile Tech has gone through three coaches (end of Crimins era 2000, Paul Hewitt (2000-2011) and Brian Gregory (2011-2016)

The Tech job is more demanding than the Vanderbilt job and the Vanderbilt job has the built-in advantage of being a private school, just like the one he came from. If Drew can get his teams into the tourney regularly at Valpo, he ought to do the same thing at Vandy. He won't have to worry about the added pressure of not getting to a final four every four or five years.

Comment

• Unlike the condition that strikes our beautiful ladies usually in their mid 40's and 50's, this is the time of the season, end of March Madness and the start of next season, when male menopause hits its stride.

It happens annually and is readily evidenced whenever either too much or too little blood flows to the brain, or gonads, or frequently both. It is clearly associated with sweating, high temperatures and chills.

It is easy to identify as it is always associated with exotic, but unproven rumors; wild predictions like National Championships; hyped by highly exaggerated abilities of new recruits; HC departures, other imagined disasters; and infrequently combined with humor.

So we might as well enjoy it as we still have around 71/2 blasted months to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
        IMO, this is a no-brainer. Stallings was at Vandy for quite some time (17 years). Looks like there's stability there, provided you can produce at a reasonable level.

Meanwhile Tech has gone through three coaches (end of Crimins era 2000, Paul Hewitt (2000-2011) and Brian Gregory (2011-2016)

The Tech job is more demanding than the Vanderbilt job and the Vanderbilt job has the built-in advantage of being a private school, just like the one he came from. If Drew can get his teams into the tourney regularly at Valpo, he ought to do the same thing at Vandy. He won't have to worry about the added pressure of not getting to a final four every four or five years.
        Vandy's current AD promotes continuity and stability as a philosophy/strategy, so that is not happening by accident.

Combine that with Vandy is in a league with no set pecking order behind Kentucky, and they're going to be wildly inconsistent because of roster turnover. The league is currently open for the taking. Georgia Tech in the ACC is currently behind UNC, Duke, Virginia, ND, Syracuse, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
          Unlike the condition that strikes our beautiful ladies usually in their mid 40's and 50's, this is the time of the season, end of March Madness and the start of next season, when male menopause hits its stride.

It happens annually and is readily evidenced whenever either too much or too little blood flows to the brain, or gonads, or frequently both. It is clearly associated with sweating, high temperatures and chills.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• SFA hired an aTm assistant. Heiar was reported as a finalist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
              It just dawned on me (I am a little slow on the uptake) that WE are the crazy bastards every year with this. I henceforth refuse to get uptight about this until there is a confirmed, concrete reason to do so.
              Has something been going on I should be aware of?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Has something been going on I should be aware of?
                Nope. Nothing to see here. Just the annual Shockernet post-season **** show. Hahaha

Comment

• Confirmation, Drew to Vandy.

Vanderbilt has hired Valparaiso's Bryce Drew to become the Commodores' new coach; sources told ESPN's Jeff Goodman it's a six-year deal.
                  Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                    Wonder how much it was for
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                      It could be 8 figures. They can pay anything!
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                        Supposedly, 6 years / $16.1 which is more than Stallings made funny enough. Appears there was a bit of a bidding war with GTech.

Comment

• Originally posted by VandyFan View Post
                          Supposedly, 6 years / $16.1 which is more than Stallings made funny enough. Appears there was a bit of a bidding war with GTech.
                          VandyFan, is there any part of your fanbase that would like to see the benches moved to the sideline?

Good luck with Coach Drew. Personally I think Stallings was an underachiever.
                          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                            VandyFan, is there any part of your fanbase that would like to see the benches moved to the sideline?

Good luck with Coach Drew. Personally I think Stallings was an underachiever.
                            No! We loooooooooooove Memorial. It's got 3 levels that go straight up (and not out like today's gyms) with exposed concrete walls. Just due to the design alone it gets really loud, and I believe that's why it's such a tough place to play for opposing teams. The benches are just part of the "charm", but a part that we like. No Vandy fan has any problem with Memorial Gym just would like to see it spruced up a bit. The benches are on the ends because Adolph Rupp complained about having to climb up stairs to the raised floor when they were on the side.

As far as Stallings, after 17 years you know what you're going to get, and if he's not giving that to you it's time to move on. The last two times his seat was warm like this he made S16 in the tournament to get everyone back on board. No such luck for him this time. Best quote I've heard about Stallings in all of this was:

He can take a bad talent and make it look pretty good.
                            He can take pretty good talent and make it look pretty good.
                            He can take awesome talent and make it look pretty good.

Our team had 3 future NBA players on it this year. Seth Greenburg picked us for the Final 4 at the beginning of the season, and we end up with a play in game as an 11 seed. It was unfortunately par for the course.

Comment

• Originally posted by VandyFan View Post
                              Not sure what anyone else thinks, but I think you guys got a good one. I think he will get things trending in the right direction for Vandy.
                              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                                Example #23453 why judging fan bases based off message boards is DUMB. I went to the WSU vs Vandy NIT game in 2005. After they stormed the court, numerous, and I mean dozens, of Vandy fans, both season ticket holders and students, stopped briefly by our section of WSU fans to wish us safe travels, show appreciation for our team's fight, and just generally act like nice, civilized human beings. It made a lasting impression on me, and I've always had a 2nd tier rooting interest for Vandy ever since.

Enough with the generalizations based on 3 people you've never even met in person. Some of you come across like...

redturd.douchbags.net
                                sweatervest.douchbags.net
                                igotitatwalmart.mingle.net

Last edited by shock; April 5, 2016, 09:34 PM.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X