The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    Wondering if we have actually presented the offer to him yet? Maybe we are dragging our feet and he decided to take a visit if we don't come up with something by Friday.
    According to the article we are working on increasing his compensation. That means to me we probably haven't.
    In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
      Direct quote from the article:

"the Shockers are working on an offer in the neighborhood of $4 million per year in order to keep him in Wichita"
      The article they cited mentioned it was Bama that was approaching $4 mil.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
        $4 million is a lot of money. I could take a million of that, give half of that away and still live comfortably with no problem.

I think if he goes, one of the reason will be that he wants to be in a better conference. He probably feels he can automatically get better recruits. He already recruits in that part of the country since he's familiar with the region, so he may think it would be easier to land one of those recruits being in a power conference.

That's a trap he a wisely avoided in the past... middle of the road programs in P5 conference...
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post
          On a more chill note, Cle had 14 points in the 4Q tonight, but eventually missed the game-winning three. Sorry it's off-topic.
          Thanks...a very welcomed diversion.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
            You know if we can offer 3mil + with how great WSU fan support is, even if 3G were to leave hard to feel bad about our future
            This! There are a lot of good coaches out there. We obviously have the money to pay one that would like to stick around.
            "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
              According to the article we are working on increasing his compensation. That means to me we probably haven't.
              That's what all of them have said "working on" or "preparing" .. We may not have given him the counter offer and maybe the planned trip is a little "kick" to get it done soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                O

With all due respect you can't compare Gregg's case with one in the mortal world. If you and I were considering changing jobs, we wouldn't play it out in public. Our current boss would probably help us to accept the new position. I know what this process has really reinforced to me is that Gregg has a massive ego. The thing about it egos is it can certainly work for and against you.
                I agree there is a difference, and not just due to the number of commas in the check. With regard to the publicity, I don't believe the fact that things have been made public by others (there haven't been any public statements from HCGM that I've seen on the topic) should diminish the fact that it takes time to make a decision as large as this one. I would contend that part of what makes HCGM such a great coach is his ego. The overall thesis I was trying to get across is that I don't have any philosophical issue with him taking some time to make this decision. Would I like him to blindly turn down all suitors? Of course. But I don't fault him for taking time to assess his options like the rest of us would if we were offered a salary almost double my current, and up to 25% greater than my current employer could offer.
                “I don’t believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can’t be measured. You can’t measure a ballplayer’s heart” – Red Auerbach

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                  The article they cited mentioned it was Bama that was approaching $4 mil.
                  Yahoo said Bama. Sporting News said WSU matching..
                  Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
                    I'd guess that Gregg is going about his day as normal while his agent is squeezing every $$ out of the leverage he has. That's how it works. I don't think our frustration should be aimed at 3G until the president says talks shut down or didn't finalize because Gregg doesn't want to be here. Until then, 99% of us don't know what we don't know, and that'll keep me from chasing 3G down with a torch and pitchfork.
                    Why go to Alabama to visit?

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                      And you may well be right. I don't really see it that way. They've had all week to come up with more $$$.

It would be nice to see what sully says, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                        Yahoo said Bama. Sporting News said WSU matching..
                        It was poorly written. I'd **** myself if wsu offered 4mill
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                          AFAIK they both go to Trinity. Kellen definitely does, and I would assume Maggie does now as well since she is a freshman.
                          They do and since its Trinity I'm sure they have at least Friday off for Easter break.

Comment

• This sounds like what Alabama did to Saban. Kept uping the ante until he couldn't say no. In college basketball terms it's like what Lon Kruger went through when he was at UNLV. He kept saying no to Oklahoma but they kept coming back until he stopped saying no. I wasn't worried about all this Alabama talk because of the reasons that have been listed here several times but as this plays out I don't see it not ending well for us Shocker fans. Sometimes no matter how great "the little guy" is eventually the bigger guy ends up winning because they can take more punches and throw more haymakers. We'll see what happens but having to wait until at least Friday gives me little hope it what's being reported is true.
                            If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• lets just say its wsu at $3.25 mil a year with a known commodity, known fan's, known recruiting class, happy family, safe place
                              VS an unknown commodity offering $4 mil with average at best facilities, 2nd rate athletics support compared to football, no known recruits, family has no idea on it.

I think I know what I am doing if I am coach marshall.
                              Money isn't everything and if we are to believe him then we shall find out soon enough how he does next year here at WSU.

His kids are set for life between the salary he makes, money the university sets aside for his kids school every year, etc etc.

"you don't mess with happy". Coach remember your own words and your own predecessor's motto.

Alabama basketball will not be anywhere near what WSU has been the last 5 or so years success wise, fan support wise.

Do you see many schools with fans showing up when the team returns to welcome them home EVEN WHEN THEY LOSE??

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                                And you may well be right. I don't really see it that way. They've had all week to come up with more $$$.

It would be nice to see what sully says, though.
                                Getting approvals and funding for double or more can take a little while. And then getting it written in contact form on top of that. It's only been 48 hours since Battle left

Comment

Working...
                                X