New KWCH anchor picking Twitter fight with WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BikeIdiot View Post
    Is someone willing to ask HCGM about this on the coach's show? I can imagine any coach who would call out a broadcaster for wearing a purple tie to a Shocker game might have some colorful things to say about Will and KWCH
    Do we really need to run to our daddy on this? Can't we handle this ourselves?

Housekeeping.
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
      Yes...my take to him was I could care less what he thinks of the "streak" of KU and WSU are. He can think of us how he wants in the privacy of his own space. What maters is his presence on social media reflects upon his role as a sports journalist, which is supposed to be neutral in nature. His job is to report the sports in a responsible way and to have an exchange with fans on social media, which should be non-editorial. He has some maturing to do, which I shared with his boss was obviously an issue. As long as he genuinely sees this as an area of improvement in his professional journey and is willing to make changes overnight, he deserves a guarded second chance. We all have made stupid choices in life and have been given second chances. Let's oversee him closely and see what happens.
      I am willing to give him a 2nd chance. I am thankful for all of the 2nd chances I have been given following stupid things that I have done.

As I think about this I'm not sure that it is fair to put 100% of the blame on on Kunkel. I think he might have been heavily influenced by the culture of KWCH. Many posters have expressed concerns over the years that since Bruce left there that there has been a big bias demonstrated towards the schools in NE KS. It is seen by the amount of air time that is devoted to the schools, placements of their stories, comments made on the air etc. there is no bigger local media hack than Parsons and he is on their program every week. Unfortunately , I think that it is possible that Kunkel in his youth and inexperience just took it too far in his tweets. Am I excusing Kunkel? Not at all, but I am suggesting that maybe the problem is more than Kunkel and what he did was just to expose the culture of bias at KWCH.
      Last edited by Shocker-maniac; February 16, 2015, 08:47 AM.
      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
        I picked a hell of a day to stop drinking...sh$t.
        So what day did you pick? I know it couldn't be a day that you would play golf on. Tuesday's maybe?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
          I am willing to give him a 2nd chance. I am thankful for all of the 2nd chances I have been given following stupid things that I have done.

As I think about this I'm not sure that it is fair to put 100% of the blame on on Kunkel. I think he might have been heavily influenced by the culture of KWCH. Many posters have expressed concerns over the years that since Bruce left there that there has been a big bias demonstrated towards the schools in NE KS. It is seen by the amount of air time that is devoted to the schools, placements of their stories, comments made on the air etc. there is no bigger local media hack than Parsons and he is on their program every week. Unfortunately , I think that it is possible that Kunkel in his youth and inexperience just took it too far in his tweets. Am I excusing Kunkel? Not at all, but I am suggesting that maybe the problem is more than Kunkel and what he did was just to expose the culture of bias at KWCH.
          Does KWCH even serve the Lawrence or Manhattan areas? I don't believe their signal reaches there, unless they have "translator" stations up there like they do in western Kansas. Witgh the Topeka and KC stations, I highly doubt that.

What is the alumni demographic in the viewing area? I would believe it would be WSU, KSU and then KU. So why the culture bias? Wouldn't the station want to garner as many viewers as possible?
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• No it does not reach NE KS. They seem to be enamored with P5 schools. If you don't feel that is the case fine but there have been many posts on this board over the years that it has changed since Bruce left.

Comment

No it does not reach NE KS. They seem to be enamored with P5 schools. If you don't feel that is the case fine but there have been many posts on this board over the years that it has changed since Bruce left.
              Bruce went to WSU and knows the area and what the public wants. I don't believe anyone from the current sports staff is even from Kansas.

Comment

• Not all of us are enchanted by bullsheet. I am looking forward to moving back to the wichita area this summer. Hopefully Kechi/park city or Augusta
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• I can tell you that when Jenn Bates was on the sports team that she clearly preferred KU to WSU. She's still at the station and certainly could influence a newby like Kunkel.

Comment

• So far, nobody has let the Bruce in about it on Sports Daily. I wonder where he would go with this.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I can tell you that when Jenn Bates was on the sports team that she clearly preferred KU to WSU. She's still at the station and certainly could influence a newby like Kunkel.
                      True story.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                        So what day did you pick? I know it couldn't be a day that you would play golf on. Tuesday's maybe?
                        I only play golf on days that end in "Y" and drinking on those days are generally considered as common as putting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
                          So, Knuckle's "apology" says he's new here, like that's some kind of excuse. Must not be too bright -- failed to notice the name on the city limits sign when he arrived in town, didn't read all of the decals and bumper stickers, missed all of the yellow and black. Those things might have suggested that this town has a home team that snotty new sports anchors better not mess with.
                          By saying he's new "here", I believe he's referring to Earth, not Wichita.

Comment

I can tell you that when Jenn Bates was on the sports team that she clearly preferred KU to WSU. She's still at the station and certainly could influence a newby like Kunkel.
                            You have to understand that many of these sportscasters consider themselves to be "trendy". You can tell who they are on Twitter. They favor the power conference teams, tweet about what everyone else tweets about (Levine dunks, SNL40), and like to brag about the trendy restaurants they eat at on the road.

They will occasionally tweet about the "cute little stories (mid-majors, KC Royals)" when it is trendy...

I think the Royals are pretty good for a mid-major team... :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              You think a Master's Degree in Journalism from Northwestern would teach you that.
                              That's the thing that is so perplexing. He graduated from one of the top journalism schools in the country, and he still doesn't know how to market himself to his customer?

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                                That's the thing that is so perplexing. He graduated from one of the top journalism schools in the country, and he still doesn't know how to market himself to his customer?
                                Big school, big conference, with an appropriate mindset. Not doubt under his shirt and tie is his T-shirt that says:

Happiness is Wichita, Kansas in my rear view mirror..

Low major talent from high major school..
                                Last edited by jocoshock; February 16, 2015, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X