No announcement yet.

New KWCH anchor picking Twitter fight with WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a reply from Kunkle. He said he appreciated my well-written thoughts (interpretation-thanks for not going Fever on me). He didn't disagree with my comments to him that he used poor judgment in arguing with a WSU fan on social media, especially since he has his organization's name attached to it. His excuse was he was watching the KU game at the time and was wrapped up in their accomplishments. He did say retrospectively that looking back on the tweet conversation he clearly sees why the WSU fan base would get worked up. He said "it is totally my fault and I apologize." He continued that it wasn't his intent to disparage the WSU program and it was a "stupid" tweet on his part.

Not the strongest apology, but he didn't have to reply to me at all. I told him I hope he learned from his mistake going forward and that social media can be a dangerous thing if not used properly.

I also received a reply from Joan Barrett, the news director. She thought my email to her was spot on. She commented "Social media can be a great tool and safe to say we are all learning every day how to manage all the channels." She thanked me for taking the time to write such a thoughtful note..."it is appreciated." Don't get any crazy ideas fellow SNers...my responses to you all will continue to be thoughtless and irrational like always.

For what it is worth, I feel good about reaching out to both of them. I hope this situation will get their attention to do a better job of teaching the great journalistic responsibility of appropriate social media communication within their organization.

Comment

• I'm still not watching KWCH for awhile.. Ku as an institution and their fan base are both well known for taking smug to a whole new level. I do my best to avoid their smug fans because there's really no point of speaking to them really. Kwch just strikes me as a typical super smug ku fan now.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
        Don't get any crazy ideas fellow SNers...my responses to you all will continue to be thoughtless and irrational like always.
        Whoa, not so fast! You're not getting off that easy. You raised the bar, now you have to live with it. From now on, we expect all of your posts to be coherent, respectful, cordial, intelligent and extremely insightful. The only reason we've let you get away with what you've been doing is we thought we were getting your best. :)
        ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Got a reply from Kunkle. He said he appreciated my well-written thoughts (interpretation-thanks for not going Fever on me). He didn't disagree with my comments to him that he used poor judgment in arguing with a WSU fan on social media, especially since he has his organization's name attached to it. His excuse was he was watching the KU game at the time and was wrapped up in their accomplishments. He did say retrospectively that looking back on the tweet conversation he clearly sees why the WSU fan base would get worked up. He said "it is totally my fault and I apologize." He continued that it wasn't his intent to disparage the WSU program and it was a "stupid" tweet on his part.

Not the strongest apology, but he didn't have to reply to me at all. I told him I hope he learned from his mistake going forward and that social media can be a dangerous thing if not used properly.

I also received a reply from Joan Barrett, the news director. She thought my email to her was spot on. She commented "Social media can be a great tool and safe to say we are all learning every day how to manage all the channels." She thanked me for taking the time to write such a thoughtful note..."it is appreciated." Don't get any crazy ideas fellow SNers...my responses to you all will continue to be thoughtless and irrational like always.

For what it is worth, I feel good about reaching out to both of them. I hope this situation will get their attention to do a better job of teaching the great journalistic responsibility of appropriate social media communication within their organization.
          You think a Master's Degree in Journalism from Northwestern would teach you that. Not buying the Barrett approach. It's not like Twitter was invented yesterday. Will's reply seemed much more honest, albeit he was left without many escape routes.

But I digress. Great work, ShoxMVC.

Comment

• Yeah, if he gets that swept up just watching a KU game, we all have to hope he doesn't watch Fifty Shades of Grey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
              Whoa, not so fast! You're not getting off that easy. You raised the bar, now you have to live with it. From now on, we expect all of your posts to be coherent, respectful, cordial, intelligent and extremely insightful. The only reason we've let you get away with what you've been doing is we thought we were getting your best. :)
              I picked a hell of a day to stop drinking...sh$t.

Comment

BTW, good job on your emails to KWCH!

Comment

• I think it's clear that he knows his tweets were stupid, but his statements lead me to believe that he still looks down his nose at WSU.
                  Last edited by Shocker-maniac; February 15, 2015, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• Noticed he's not on Sports Sunday tonight. Either way what an unwatchable show. The Parsons guy gives the most obvious takes and the girl just repeats what he said

Comment

• Well, today ended a streak that started on January 4th. No tweets at all from Mr. Kunkel on February 15th.

Ouch.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                        I think it's clear that he knows his texts were stupid, but his statements lead me to believe that he still looks down his nose at WSU.
                        Yes...my take to him was I could care less what he thinks of the "streak" of KU and WSU are. He can think of us how he wants in the privacy of his own space. What maters is his presence on social media reflects upon his role as a sports journalist, which is supposed to be neutral in nature. His job is to report the sports in a responsible way and to have an exchange with fans on social media, which should be non-editorial. He has some maturing to do, which I shared with his boss was obviously an issue. As long as he genuinely sees this as an area of improvement in his professional journey and is willing to make changes overnight, he deserves a guarded second chance. We all have made stupid choices in life and have been given second chances. Let's oversee him closely and see what happens.

Comment

• After watching kunkle a few times I made the comment to my wife that this guy is really bad and really stupid. Its like he might be a weather man turned sportscaster. Couple of weeks ago after we lost to UNI he kept going on about how he couldnt belive that this was the first time in 20 plus years two Valley teams that were ranked were playing. Then he proceded to go on about how MVC players just were not comparable to players in power conferences and he was talking to the othere KU homer douche on the sunday evening sports parting shots. As they both bantered back an forth over the subject he said I'm glad someone agreed with him then they both fist bumped each otheir. What a tool Kunkle is and so is the othere guy Parrish?

Comment

• Not Parrish its Parsons, anyway he's forgettable too

Comment

Yes...my take to him was I could care less what he thinks of the "streak" of KU and WSU are. He can think of us how he wants in the privacy of his own space. What maters is his presence on social media reflects upon his role as a sports journalist, which is supposed to be neutral in nature. His job is to report the sports in a responsible way and to have an exchange with fans on social media, which should be non-editorial. He has some maturing to do, which I shared with his boss was obviously an issue. As long as he genuinely sees this as an area of improvement in his professional journey and is willing to make changes overnight, he deserves a guarded second chance. We all have made stupid choices in life and have been given second chances. Let's oversee him closely and see what happens.
                              I may change my mind once I get done with this post and it's getting late so I'm probably not on top of my game, if I ever am, but here goes.

Kunkle is not an "independent" sports journalist. He works for a local TV station that is supported by local business, watched by the owners of those businesses, and watched by sports fans who support local and regional teams and support those local businesses. He should not be a "homer", but definitely not senselessly critical. One big part of his job is to gain viewership, therefore, being totally neutral is a delicate thing. The farther removed from a local audience, to a regional, to a national, allows for more leeway in what and how something is said. He also needs to have access to the teams and coaches that make up his local reporting. So a little positive schmoozing is a good thing. I don't believe some positive editorializing is wrong. We're talking sports here, not news, not the weather. You want to positively engage your audience at this local level. It was Kunkle's total ignorance of his role as a local sports reporter that was so unbelievable.

I'm all for giving second chances, but really....what's the point in doing it here. It doesn't matter what good or neutral things he says going forward, everyone on here KNOWS what he thinks. He cannot change that. He done screwed da pooch. For me, it's best he practice his professional journey elsewhere where he can take a clean slate and practice what he hopefully has learned. In local sports, this was a major faux pas.

Comment

I jumped on the wagon early in the Final 4 run. Talk about no worse time, or perhaps better time? I found listening to MK and crew helps lower my anxiety so I don't get as worked up and into the game. All the best!

Go Shocks!
                                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Working...
                                X