#12 WSU @ #18 UNI - Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post
    This. We lost one game after winning THIRTY in a row. We still have one of the best back courts in the country. And 3G has a knack for getting his teams to turn it on in the post season in odd numbered years.
    The year we went to the final 4 we got SWEPT by EVANSVILLE. We'll be fine. 3G is one of the best coaches in the country and will fix whatever issues we had yesterday.

Comment

• Some good stuff in this thread shocker fans. Some of my favorites were: "that was UNI's super bowl," "not an attractive person in the crowd," "its Elgins' fault," "Tuttle only had 8 or 9 real points," and my personal favorite "that was an ass lickin."

Guys, that was UNI's superbowl, our fans superbowl too, someone should have told Wichita it was theirs too. We play in the Valley, we had ESPN broadcasting coast to coast two top 25 teams for the first time 30 years in the Valley. If you guys can't get up for that I don't know what your going to get up for. I know you went to the final four two years ago, thats awesome. What a run, you guys are an amazing program, but yesterday should have been your superbowl too. It was a butt "lickin." I don't anticipate UNI doing the same thing in Wichita and i'm really looking forward to a much better game in Wichita.

All wichita fans I met yesterday were great fans and great people. I hope they had a good experience in cedar falls other than the outcome. Weather did get really bad afer game. Our trip back to Des Moines was not a fun one. Hopefully all made it home safe. I will bid you farewell for a few weeks and see you on the 28th! Please don't lose again until then!

Comment

• It was a day where we weren't making shots, especially from behind the arc, and UNI was. We might have been able to weather Tuttle going nuts scoring if we could have held others down a bit more, but Washpun kind of lit us up too. UNI played above their season norm and we played below. I am confident things will be tighter on the return trip at the end of February, and I am confident this team will find its swagger again, and right soon.
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by TheYeti
          Eh, some days you're the pigeon. Some days you're the statue.
          And some days you're the poop -- yesterday was the poop. Every team has an off-shooting game and we certainly had one yesterday. Even the best of teams (or those perceived to be the best) lose games -- usually those they shouldn't lose. UNI is a very good team (sure glad we won't have to see Tuttle next year). They were focused. We get everyone's best shot. It's so easy to blame outside forces (the refs, the distraction of Conner's problem, someone stubbed their toe that morning). Let's get real -- no excuses here -- we were outplayed. Marshall, as we all know, will point out each and every mistake, lapse, letdown, and sloppy play. I give credit to UNI -- Jacobson had them ready. We have still only lost 3 games so far. There are a great many teams in the country that would love that record.

Comment

• I just woke up but I think we are still in first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
              It was a day where we weren't making shots, especially from behind the arc, and UNI was. We might have been able to weather Tuttle going nuts scoring if we could have held others down a bit more, but Washpun kind of lit us up too. UNI played above their season norm and we played below. I am confident things will be tighter on the return trip at the end of February, and I am confident this team will find its swagger again, and right soon.
              UNI made five 3 pointers, hardly making shots from behind the arc. Wichita shot poorly because they were disoriented by a stifling defense. A lot of teams have their worst offensive game of the year against UNI, that is no coincidence. That being said, over the years UNI has been known for February slumps. That is also not a coincidence. Coaches as good as Marshall get a chance to look at game film from game one, and have really good adjustments for game two. Once the film shows teams how to adjust, athletic teams like Wichita State, Illinois State, etc... turn those losses in the first half of the season into wins in the second half of the season against less overall talented teams like UNI. Just my two cents...

Comment

• I give major props to UNI's defense, but Baker missing wide open three's had nothing to do with some guy being in his jockstrap - he just plain missed his shots, something that happens to everyone at some point. He's too good to let that happen next time. Maybe he was worn out, maybe he hasn't been in the gym enough, who knows what the execuse is, but don't expect the same result in Wichita.

Comment

• Originally posted by jegbomb52 View Post
                  UNI made five 3 pointers, hardly making shots from behind the arc. Wichita shot poorly because they were disoriented by a stifling defense. A lot of teams have their worst offensive game of the year against UNI, that is no coincidence. That being said, over the years UNI has been known for February slumps. That is also not a coincidence. Coaches as good as Marshall get a chance to look at game film from game one, and have really good adjustments for game two. Once the film shows teams how to adjust, athletic teams like Wichita State, Illinois State, etc... turn those losses in the first half of the season into wins in the second half of the season against less overall talented teams like UNI. Just my two cents...
                  My comment about not making shots behind the arc was aimed at us. UNI shot around 60% from the field, we were below 40%. That was the jist of my "UNI made shots, we didn't" comment. Did the UNI defense have something to do with it? Of course, we are also well known for making teams have an off shooting night. If you took my comment as a slam on UNI, you read it wrong. Bottom line, UNI did lots of things right on both ends of the court and we didn't.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    I give major props to UNI's defense, but Baker missing wide open three's had nothing to do with some guy being in his jockstrap - he just plain missed his shots, something that happens to everyone at some point. He's too good to let that happen next time. Maybe he was worn out, maybe he hasn't been in the gym enough, who knows what the execuse is, but don't expect the same result in Wichita.
                    I think i've made it pretty clear that I don't...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                      My comment about not making shots behind the arc was aimed at us. UNI shot around 60% from the field, we were below 40%. That was the jist of my "UNI made shots, we didn't" comment. Did the UNI defense have something to do with it? Of course, we are also well known for making teams have an off shooting night. If you took my comment as a slam on UNI, you read it wrong. Bottom line, UNI did lots of things right on both ends of the court and we didn't.
                      got ya, thanks for the clarification. Good luck the rest of the way guys. Im out.

Comment

• Like some I've known from the beginning we had front court issues that would probably
                        keep us from being an elite team. It is what it is. I've stated on a previous thread that
                        I didn't believe RN or BW were very effective playing man to man. I would add DC to
                        that also. Wouldn't play a lot of zone but think it needs to be in our arsenal especially
                        when RN or BW are in the game. I even suggested on another thread to play them
                        together for a couple minutes at a time and switch to zone so they could play with
                        their backs to the basket defensively and not have to chase a quicker man on the
                        perimeter. This idea was ridiculed but I stand by it. Would also force the other team
                        to make an in game adjustment. SM is the ONLY decent down low defender we have.
                        As for UNI I give them credit for playing a great game a whooping us. We did not
                        move our feet well on offense or defense. Our offense has become too predictable and
                        we just didn't attack the basket. Off ball players didn't move well.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                          Like some I've known from the beginning we had front court issues that would probably
                          keep us from being an elite team. It is what it is. I've stated on a previous thread that
                          I didn't believe RN or BW were very effective playing man to man. I would add DC to
                          that also. Wouldn't play a lot of zone but think it needs to be in our arsenal especially
                          when RN or BW are in the game. I even suggested on another thread to play them
                          together for a couple minutes at a time and switch to zone so they could play with
                          their backs to the basket defensively and not have to chase a quicker man on the
                          perimeter. This idea was ridiculed but I stand by it. Would also force the other team
                          to make an in game adjustment. SM is the ONLY decent down low defender we have.
                          As for UNI I give them credit for playing a great game a whooping us. We did not
                          move our feet well on offense or defense. Our offense has become too predictable and
                          we just didn't attack the basket. Off ball players didn't move well.
                          I couldn't agree more. Our inside presence will look different next year with a year under their belt. Carter has been disappointing with his inconsistency (especially on defense). Evan is playing out of position, Shaq is getting there, Kelly has regressed, Nurger, Bush and Glass are almost nonentities. We don't have that backcourt/front court balance as in years prior. We will win this conference, but getting deeper than the first weekend of the dance will be a huge challenge unless favorable match ups present itself. I still love this team, but...

Comment

• How can UNI fans defend that this was not their Super Bowl? On their board they were saying this was their biggest home game in their program history. This game was sold out for a month. How many non wsu games do they sell out? And no we played in alot bigger games than yesterday game. Just wasnt our night, it happens life moves on and HCGM will make sure performances like yesterday's doesnt happen again.
                            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Have to play RN, RK and TG more against weaker opponents to get them some D1 game
                              experience. Would like to see RN start working on the block with his back to the basket.
                              THIS is where we need him and he DOES have potential there, but he is not going to
                              get any confidence there without putting him there and feeding him once in awhile.

Comment

• Well that sucked.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X