#12 WSU @ #18 UNI - Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm chillin'.

The only thing I have been worried about is what happened tonight. We cannot defend a competent five.

It will be even more difficult in the Dance.

Next year does not look better either.

It smarted to not sign Hurt, I am afraid.

I sure hope Tom becomes an overnight sensation.

I have not been sold on UNI, prior to tonight's game. After tonight's game, I might have to change my mind.

Here are the past reasons that I have not held UNI in ultra high regard as follows:

1. Lost to UE by 3 on the road.
    2. Defeated BU by 9 on the road.
    3. Defeated ISU by 6 at home.
    4. Defeated ILS by 1 on the road.
    5. Defeated SIU by 7 on the road.

I agree that UNI has a pretty good team, but I am pretty sure they can be quite beatable by average or less than average teams.

(Is there any such word as beatable?)
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• UNI played their best game of the year today and we basically played one of our worst. Having said that , they earned it and had something to do with it.They were into it from the start along with their fans. I thought our three-headed monster had its worst game of the year as a whole. Usually we have one of them come through but today they were all off and in turn the whole team suffered because we depend on Fred, Tekale, and Ron so much. Darius got off to such a rough start, Tuttle was beating him off the dribble and we really don't have anotheir rim protector when that happens. I half to agree, I would love to see Carter and Morris starting, I think it would take pressure off Darius to have anotheir big in the game at the same time. I like Evan, his hustle and tenacity is second to none, but 6'5 power forwards who don't shoot well is a libility. Bring him off the bench, Shaq is more than ready, he looked comfortable out there and actually was handling Tuttle and he has good mobility. Fouling is an issue with him and Darius, but they would just have to play smart. There were a couple of possesions when Evan was on Tuttle and it was just a big mis-match. We are going to have to take a little pressure off our guards and get more production down low. Nurger and Bush don't seem to have the ability to help us this year. When Nurger is away from the basket he has a hard time guarding, his feet arnt quick enough and he's just not strong enough yet. Holland, Brown, and Glass will also be needed going forward because the season is long and the legs will be getting heavy as we head into March. The difference today was our lack of shooting and their superiour bench. Main thing is to put this behind us, were tied for first and we just don't want this to role into a second straight loss...

Comment

• Originally posted by Fozzy View Post
        I would too, especially when there's a 6'11" or taller guy starting on the other team. There were times when Shaq handled Tuttle well. I like Evan, but asking him to guard Tuttle is a tall order, so to speak, and guys like Tuttle will take advantage of the matchup more than anything. I'd like to see Evan come off the bench early on to give others a rest.
        Obviously Evan on Tuttle is a mismatch. we know it and all of the coaches know it too.

Question: Why did they decide to put Evan on Tuttle in the first place?
        Answer: Because Darius and Shaq were in foul trouble. They obviously had more trust in Wessel than Rauno, and Bush W. I am surprised that they didn't try Kelly before Wessel but they know more than I do.

Comment

• A very frustrating and painful game to watch. That said it's been over 4 years since we've been blown out by 16. I'd be shocked if there's another team in the country hasn't been beat by 16 in 4 years. I'm over it. Time to move on.

Comment

• In 2013 around this same time of the year you guys thought the sky was falling when you lost at Northern Iowa 57-52 then lost at Southern Illinois 64-62 to complete a 3 game losing streak falling to 19-5 (8-4) and then you went on to make the Final 4
            2014 RTS Fantasy Championship National Champion $200,000 (2460 teams)
            2012 NFFC Online National Champion $100,000 (1872 teams)
            2014 DFWC National Champion $9,250 (288 teams)
            2015 RTS Fantasy Championship 2nd Place $25,000 (3120 teams)

2015 NCAA Bracketology (351 pts more than all 136 at the bracket matrix)

Kentucky Wildcats National Champions 2012 1998 1996 1978 1958 1951 1949 1948
            The Ohio State Buckeyes National Champions 2014 2002 1970 1968 1961 1957 1954 1942

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
              I would like to see Shaq and Carter both start.
              What do you do when both of them have 2 fouls in the first 10 minutes?
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Because that's not the case now?
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

The way I see it.

Why not try going to the fight with 5 bullets?

I know, I know. Its not like we haven't been successful and all. But with all the combos we've tried, I just havent seen Shaq and DC together all that often.

Why not try pounding a team with two barrels down low. Even if its only for a short time?
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• My biggest fear this year has been our poor FT shooting would be the death of us against a quality opponent (15-17). What the hell do I know.

Comment

• Originally posted by HenryMuto View Post
                      In 2013 around this same time of the year you guys thought the sky was falling when you lost at Northern Iowa 57-52 then lost at Southern Illinois 64-62 to complete a 3 game losing streak falling to 19-5 (8-4) and then you went on to make the Final 4
                      This is worth keeping in mind when discussing how we will do in the post-season. There hasn't been a lot of correlation between how good our teams have been in the regular season and having a post season run. In 2010-11 we had 6 regular season losses, then won the NIT. In 2011-12 we had 3 regular season losses, but were upset in the 2nd round. In 2012-13 we had 7 regular season losses, then went to the Final Four. In 2013-14 we had 0 regular season losses, but were upset in the 2nd round. It is all about playing your best at the right time and getting the right matchups.
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

If we could just get Tom or Kelly to catch fire with some confidence the second half of the MVC season and at least not kill us defensively...Coach may make the switch to having both Shaq and Carter in at the same time. Maybe just maybe with both of them in there...they would be less suspect to foul. Perhaps playing the rest of the Valley teams (except UNI) before March will give Coach a chance to experiment with that.
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                          ...It smarted to not sign Hurt, I am afraid...
                          Hurt is averaging 4.8 pointds and 3.2 rebounds at KSU.

The JuCo well for big men was pretty dry last year. And the year before. Carter was AA and ranked higher in his class than Hall was in his. Almost have to wonder if Carter would have made AA if he had been in the same class with Hall.

I don't know if this is accurate, but I believe the only HS post players Marshall has signed are Durley, Stutz, and White. Durley was a Turgeon recrui

The problem with Glas must be that he is utterly incapable of defending front line players. He looks pretty good playing against our opponents' deep bench players. Wamukota and Glass appear to be "we may as well give this scholarship to somebody" guys.

I haven't watched this game yet - I had another obligation this afternoon. What I've seen in previous games is that opponents use the defender covering PF to double on Baker. Baker may be looking for where the double is coming from (shot altered or possible block) and possibly trying to find the outlet if he's doubled when the ball comes to him. That can mess with shooting accuracy.

It's hard to play Morris and Carter at the same time because they both foul a lot. That leaves 5 defenders to cover 4 scorers. Double Baker and double Carter. Also makes an extra defender available to challenge drives to the hoop.

There is exactly one PF on the team ready to go, and he starts the game at Center. Morris looks like he could be a really good PF. I think PF would be a better position for him than Center. He played PF when he was named the MVP of the TX/OK HS All-Stars game.

going into the season, the Shox were thought to have the best back court in the country. It's unfortunate that Marshall has not been able to provide them a front court to work with.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I watched the game with a large contentment of Shocker fans, so my attention to detail wasn't as focused as normal. With that said, my recollection is that we didn't send any help for our posts when Tuttle got the ball inside. Tuttle one on one without any help is a disaster waiting to happen.

Also, when was the last time only 2 Shockers recorded an assist (Fred-3, Cotton-3)?

Comment

• I remember Seth Tuttle looking terrible when we had EO :)

EO is pretty much the one thing this team doesn't have. We've got a bunch of undersized, offensive forwards. They're all pretty good too. This particular game would go a lot different though if we had a rim protector of any kind.

Washpun drove us like miss daisy and Tuttle had no one in there challenging him once Darius and Shaq get their two ticky tack fouls and can't play him strong anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by JayPak View Post
                                You can say that again.

Signed,
                                Creighton
                                How's the BIG EAST going buddy? Made any NCAA plans yet?
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X