WSU vs. Newman Official Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    I found it interesting that Z. Brown went from the very end of the bench to one of the first off the bench. Apparently he had a good week of practice, and he couldn't have disappointed coach too much with his continued progress in the game.

Morris is so far ahead of where I thought he would be it isn't even funny. From the little I have seen so far, it looks as if he has fantastic court vision, great hands, and is unselfish. Throw in his natural athleticism and his basketball skills and I can see where he has a chance to be special if he works at it.

Henderson has been a little disappointing to me, so far. He received a lot of coaching yesterday. It feels to me that Marshall is racing to get him developed into a backup PG by the first time we need it because of foul trouble, etc.

FVV seems a little different to me this year. He almost looks a little off. I cannot put my finger on it. There are times it seems he is trying to run 3-4 positions at a time instead of just his, because of the newcomers. I get the feeling he is in a race to develop reliable big men he trusts by March 1st, and that he doesn't currently feel like he is winning that race.

Evan took different shots yesterday, and it helped. His longballs were off of screens, and he had it in his mind that he was shooting before he even had the ball. Recently he has been taking a lot of shots in a weird rhythm with no one within 15 feet. I hope yesterday helped his confidence. A 35% 3PT shooting Evan Wessel is a big help to this team.
    You and I would get along great. I agree with everything you say.

Fred just seems to be pressing a little bit. Maybe it's part being the guy who everyone is game planning against (being the preseason all American). Maybe teams are trying to be more physical with him. Maybe it's him trying more to get the new guys involved. Our maybe he's trying to do too much himself (the 1 on 4 fast break comes to mind). I expect he'll get time in the gym to clean up his shot and his performance will improve over the next few weeks back to what we are accustomed to.

Against teams like Newman, I want to see Evan hunt for his shot a bit. I look for him to do the same against Tulsa and Loyola Marymount. He needs to get used to being an offensive threat again. Then he will be ready to make an impact against our tougher opponents.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Newman's a cheap date. WSU paid Newman $8,000, plus 50 tickets, for Sunday’s game.
      Not sure how they typically account for travel costs, but that probably discounts the check a bit

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
        I really had the impression that yesterday was being used to test guys on new plays or by using them more in the game plan. I specifically remember a play where the ball got worked around to Ron and he was wanting to snap a pass into the post, but the guy he wanted was slow getting to his spot. Ron frowned and did something else. I also remember plays where he kept having to point at spots in the floor for a post player to go to even when they weren't the person the play was going to. After the post player finally got to their correct spot, a sharp, two or three pass play ensued that went from guard, to that person, to dunking PF.

I agree about Fred. He wasn't always himself, but I would guess it was for the same reason. He was probably trying to make certain things happen rather than just try to play smooth and win.
        i was thinking that he is trying to score more this year to help with the losss of cleanthony. he might be pressing just a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          I found it interesting that Z. Brown went from the very end of the bench to one of the first off the bench. Apparently he had a good week of practice, and he couldn't have disappointed coach too much with his continued progress in the game.

Morris is so far ahead of where I thought he would be it isn't even funny. From the little I have seen so far, it looks as if he has fantastic court vision, great hands, and is unselfish. Throw in his natural athleticism and his basketball skills and I can see where he has a chance to be special if he works at it.

Henderson has been a little disappointing to me, so far. He received a lot of coaching yesterday. It feels to me that Marshall is racing to get him developed into a backup PG by the first time we need it because of foul trouble, etc.

FVV seems a little different to me this year. He almost looks a little off. I cannot put my finger on it. There are times it seems he is trying to run 3-4 positions at a time instead of just his, because of the newcomers. I get the feeling he is in a race to develop reliable big men he trusts by March 1st, and that he doesn't currently feel like he is winning that race.

Evan took different shots yesterday, and it helped. His longballs were off of screens, and he had it in his mind that he was shooting before he even had the ball. Recently he has been taking a lot of shots in a weird rhythm with no one within 15 feet. I hope yesterday helped his confidence. A 35% 3PT shooting Evan Wessel is a big help to this team.
          Zach B is has the length and athleticism at the 3 that will play a huge role for us down the road. It was good to see him have a good game. Let's see if he can maintain that level against D1 competition. Agree on Henderson as well, he doesn't look that good in half court offense, he's a tad slow at getting everything going.

Regarding FVV, I feel he's trying his best to get everyone involved and is being a little too reserved. You can tell there are times when he just says "eff it" and takes it to the hole. He could probably do this a lot more than he does but he's so dang unselfish with the ball. I have no worries about Fred, he will make sure the good guys win and will do whatever he needs to do to make that happen.

Comment

a tad slow? We went to the buzzer how many times with him at the point?

Comment

Obviously it's a grain of salt situation but I like what I saw from Tevin Glass. He reminds me of a taller, more athletic Ramon Clemente who is one of my favorite shockers.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Newman's a cheap date. WSU paid Newman $8,000, plus 50 tickets, for Sunday’s game.
                They only make $76/point? Yeeesh.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  They only make $76/point? Yeeesh.
                  And here I thought 3G liked Coach Potter. Tells you something about the life of D-II Coach and program. Newman was thrilled to get that payday for driving across town.

Comment

Everyone in Wichita is getting 40% off Shocker gear for Christmas! I was just at Tad's and the lines are long, long. Thanks to the Jets for scheduling the game and thanks to Tad's for the 40% off promotion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Triticum aestivum L. View Post
                      Everyone in Wichita is getting 40% off Shocker gear for Christmas! I was just at Tad's and the lines are long, long. Thanks to the Jets for scheduling the game and thanks to Tad's for the 40% off promotion.
                      Could HCGM be this diabolical and Santa-esque when crafting our schedule? I say he is and he did it on purpose.

Comment

• Unlike other Wichita businesses, Tad gets it!

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• With TC out, Evan was playing the "3" instead of the "4" yesterday.

IMO, he's playing out of position. He's not a PF but evidently he's the best PF that we have right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                            Did he go from first off the bench or did Marshall just want to see him have some playing time against an overmatched opponent?

Shaq was at the end of the bench for the exhibition game but obviously hasn't been against real competition.
                            Originally posted by BleacherReport
                            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                              Did he go from first off the bench or did Marshall just want to see him have some playing time against an overmatched opponent?

Shaq was at the end of the bench for the exhibition game but obviously hasn't been against real competition.
                              Certainly, I do not know. I'm sure it also helped that Cotton was out for the game, which opened up some minutes at the position. I just found it interesting. I think the less disputable part is that Brown had a decent floor game and Marshall was encouraged by his progress. I believe there was a comment in the paper w.r.t. this.

During the exhibition, I believe Shaq was still in the little doggie house of Marshall. I think he is out of that little doggie house now, and is actually starting to slowly build trust, but again, these are just guesses by me based on little comments in the media.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                                Certainly, I do not know. I'm sure it also helped that Cotton was out for the game, which opened up some minutes at the position. I just found it interesting. I think the less disputable part is that Brown had a decent floor game and Marshall was encouraged by his progress. I believe there was a comment in the paper w.r.t. this.

During the exhibition, I believe Shaq was still in the little doggie house of Marshall. I think he is out of that little doggie house now, and is actually starting to slowly build trust, but again, these are just guesses by me based on little comments in the media.
                                I definitely agree that Brown did well on the floor. Much better than I expected. And you're likely right about Shaq.
                                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                                X