No announcement yet.

2014-15 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To illustrate the problems with offense in the B12, just look at the assist-to-turnover rankings. This gives a pretty good gauge of how well teams play within a team concept that prioritizes making the right decisions, both to get the assist and avoid the turnover. Here are the B12 national rankings:

t7. Iowa State (tied with Wichita State)
    66. Baylor
    96. West Virginia
    102. TCU
    106. Kansas
    138. Oklahoma
    181. Texas
    188. Kansas State
    229. Oklahoma State
    313. Texas Tech

For comparison, here is the ACC:

2. Pittsburgh
    4. Notre Dame
    6. Virginia
    15. North Carolina
    24. Duke
    33. Miami
    34. Syracuse
    118. NC State
    128. Boston College
    138. Wake Forest
    t181. Virginia Tech
    t181. Louisville
    219. Georgia Tech
    262. Clemson
    291. Florida State

This pretty much matches my observations in which Iowa State looks like the only B12 team with much sophistication in offensive scheme and ball movement. It turns out that, if you are not physically overmatched like many of the B12's OOC opponents, it is relatively easy to look good defensively if your opponents are mostly trying to go 1 on 1.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• And in other news, the "11 big 12 championships in a row" comments have begun on social media following OU's loss.

Little do they know, WVU is getting hot as we speak :)

Comment

• The 11 in a row is now clenched. WVU can only help make it a co-championship for KU instead of outright.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          But that is the best defensive efficiency team in the Big 12 and 7th in the country. Haven't you read the statistics?
          In a 76 possession game:
          OU allowed 77 pts to a ranked ISU team with an outstanding offense
          WSU allowed 79 pts to a mediocre Hawaii offense

If last night proves OU's defense is overrated, how bad must WSU's be based on the Hawaii game?

ISU scores a lot, especially at home. 77 points in 76 possessions is the 2nd lowest ratio of pts/poss the Cyclones have produced at home this year. Of course OU's defense was bad during ISU's 2nd half comeback, but don't forget the fact that ISU was held to 18 points in the first half.
          Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; March 3, 2015, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
            The 11 in a row is now clenched. WVU can only help make it a co-championship for KU instead of outright.
            Right. I'm pulling for that 2 game losing streak, 4 way tie for the "title" and a bottom half team winning the conference tourney with no top 10 teams while the crappy MVC has two teams ranked higher than any Big 12 team as they celebrate their 11th title :)

When you look at the remaining games, it's very possible if WVU can pull off the road win.
            Last edited by Dave Stalwart; March 3, 2015, 07:39 AM.

Comment

That comment gave me a good laugh!
              In the course of about 30 minutes I tried to clarify @Mrclove4:'s "answer" to @Mrclove4:'s own question and tried to start an argument with you by repeating what you said.

Really showed my IQ around these parts last night.

Comment

The 11 in a row is now clenched. WVU can only help make it a co-championship for KU instead of outright.
                So you're saying KU got fisted?
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  So you're saying KU got fisted?
                  I remember last week the same friend of mine commenting how you can pretty much take it to the bank that KSU would proceed to lay down for ISU and complicate the race. He was nervous KU had blown it. Then ISU proceeds to lose to KSU and then beat the only other team that could have taken KU's 11th. This friend of mine was the first post I saw on social media celebrating the 11th. It's just classic to me the way that conference will go to great lengths to make sure KU wins it and all the while KU is dropping games of their own. It's not like they aren't serving it up for grabs.

Comment

In a 76 possession game:
                    OU allowed 77 pts to a ranked ISU team with an outstanding offense
                    WSU allowed 79 pts to a mediocre Hawaii offense

If last night proves OU's defense is overrated, how bad must WSU's be based on the Hawaii game?

ISU scores a lot, especially at home. 77 points in 76 possessions is the 2nd lowest ratio of pts/poss the Cyclones have produced at home this year. Of course OU's defense was bad during ISU's 2nd half comeback, but don't forget the fact that ISU was held to 18 points in the first half.
                    That's some wicked amazing cherry-picking, even for you. Just an incredibly sad effort.

Comment

• I was just showing one example of WSU having a significantly worse defensive outing than OU had last night where total possessions were exactly the same. My question about "how bad must WSU be?" was completely sarcastic as a means of pointing out how silly it was for shoxlax to try and imply that last night somehow proved the defensive efficiency stats wrong.

If you still don't like the comparison to WSU's Hawaii game, then ignore it and respond to my main point Mr Dizzle. OU held ISU to their second lowest pts/poss at home all year. I'm not saying it was a dominant defensive performance, but it sure wasn't the great example of OU's defense being overrated that shoxlax tried to imply it was.

Fair enough?
                      Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; March 3, 2015, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I'm rooting for ISU. Oklahoma with the road win would pull closer to the Shox than ISU with the home win.
                        Well OU and Iowa St are now both 3 seeds in today's bracketology. Shox 4 seed.

Comment

• Joe Lunardi's bracketology today doesn't show a single seed change from the one he released yesterday. I'm not even sure why it was released today at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheYeti
                            FFS! OU should be first four out IMHO.
                            Exaggerate much?

Comment

• Originally posted by fansince80s View Post
                              Well OU and Iowa St are now both 3 seeds in today's bracketology. Shox 4 seed.
                              I can't wait for Selection Sunday. A bunch of people will be up in arms when WSU shows up as a 3 and Notre Dame, Iowa State, and Oklahoma are in the 5-7 range.
                              78-65

Comment

• It's becoming more and more annoying (if that's even possible) to come to this board and see thread after thread clogged with greyed out boxes of ignored posts or quotes from ignored posters.

Is anyone else interested in going to another board? I love @_kai_: and most of the people here, but it's getting tiring.

Comment

Working...
                                X