Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cuonzo finally Gonzo from the Dumpsterfire U.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=ripemupshocks;487555]
    Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-open-position[/QUOT

Typical Belcher Report article. Right out of the chute, starting with the very first sentence:

I didn't realize one bad decade since 1945 made us a "perpetual doormat".

Then they quote this meathead:

Marshall is all about the money? Guess that explains why he turned down all of those higher paying BCS offers the last few seasons.
    You should forward your critique of the article to Jason King (BR). He is a huge fan of the Shox, and would probably biatch slap that guy for such shoddy "journalism"
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post

I'm thinking 3-4 million/yr would be hard to turn down, even with their idiotic fanbase.
      Really: why? People can sure get mesmerized by numbers when it comes to money. But as Gary Parrish sagely noted, "Marshall is already rich and plenty smart." He's set for life financially, he's at a place where he's loved and is the king, where in terms of commitment to him the university has already no doubt exceeded any reasonable expectations he could possibly had when he came from Winthrop, and where the guys he already has coming back can form the nucleus of a legitimate shot at the national championship. And for an extra million or two per year that will just end up padding his tax bill and bank account, he's supposed to go try to please a bunch of obnoxious idiots who would rather watch the women play while they judge him critically against their beloved Bruce Pearl?

To each his own, but if I were in his shoes, it would be an absolute no-brainer to stay on Shock Top instead of Rocky Top, regardless of the money -- as indeed I suspect it is.

Comment

once you make a certain amount of money the rest just goes towards foundations and setting up trusts for future generations. I'd say that number is somewhere around $ 2million/yr. As a basketball coach, he's too busy to need or want a lavish lifestyle. HCGM is just now getting the train rolling at WSU. He's getting better and better recruits and is in a position to have us a perinnial top 15-top 10 type team. We can dominate our conference as long as we're in it and contend for Top 3 seeds on an annual basis. After that, we start building up NCAA wins and create a national program on the level of UConn. To me, that's taking the raod less travelled and he's already got the foundation paved. He leaves to a school like UT and he could be looking for a different job in 3-5 years. The fanbase is self destructive there and HCGM is a smart man.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          once you make a certain amount of money the rest just goes towards foundations and setting up trusts for future generations. I'd say that number is somewhere around $ 2million/yr. As a basketball coach, he's too busy to need or want a lavish lifestyle. HCGM is just now getting the train rolling at WSU. He's getting better and better recruits and is in a position to have us a perinnial top 15-top 10 type team. We can dominate our conference as long as we're in it and contend for Top 3 seeds on an annual basis. After that, we start building up NCAA wins and create a national program on the level of UConn. To me, that's taking the raod less travelled and he's already got the foundation paved. He leaves to a school like UT and he could be looking for a different job in 3-5 years. The fanbase is self destructive there and HCGM is a smart man.
          Agree. He can be the coach K of WSU. Where when a generation hears WSU, they think of him. There aren't any other coaching opportunities where that is possible anymore.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I just read the entire 11 page thread on VolNation devoted to Marshall. It's obvious Vols fans are reading this thread, so I'll put this here instead of on their board.

Martin and Marshall are good friends. If Marshall's phone rings and the caller ID says "University of Tennessee Athletic Department", the phone will not be answered. That might be unfortunate, since renewing the series would get us a road win over a S16 team. That would look like a really good win - for a few weeks.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I'm happy Martin is out of there for his sake. I always liked him as a coach and was glad he was willing to play us at Tennessee. Hope he succeeds at Cal.
              Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
                I don't think his personality meshes well with West Coast kids at all.
                What is it about "West Coast kids" that he doesn't mesh well with?
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I don't think his personality meshes well with West Coast kids at all.
                  Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  This outta be good!

TV Theme music and songs from 32,913 different television shows. Listen to them all in MP3 format.
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                    Agree. He can be the coach K of WSU. Where when a generation hears WSU, they think of him. There aren't any other coaching opportunities where that is possible anymore.
                    These are both GREAT posts. I couldn't agree more. When HC3G does leave WSU, he'll have the satisfaction of knowing he built it. He didn't come to WSU and just ride along on the coattails of his predecessor. He worked his ass off, and he built that sucker. That's the type of thing that will someday get his name in the rafters. Maybe even on the court.

I also think the second to last sentence in Dans' post speaks volumes. HC3G has a 7 year rolling contract. That's job security. A 3-5 year (meaning 4 years) contract anywhere else, isn't. As 3G has stated; he didn't come from coaching royalty, so he never had anyone to prop him up. He doesn't have that safety net. If he gets fired, he goes back to the bottom to start out all over again. So job security means a hell of a lot. That's something those BCS fans never think about when it comes to HC3G.
                    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      By and large they are soft. They are pampered by AAU coaches and don't have the blue collar mentality that Cuonzo would like to see. He'd do far better in the South or Midwest. He can go into John Lucas's gym and people respect him. He has no ties to LA, NorCal, Seattle, or Portland. Very peculiar fit.

Comment

By and large they are soft. They are pampered by AAU coaches and don't have the blue collar mentality that Cuonzo would like to see. He'd do far better in the South or Midwest. He can go into John Lucas's gym and people respect him. He has no ties to LA, NorCal, Seattle, or Portland. Very peculiar fit.
                        You really are an idiot. How in the hell do these idiotic stereotypes get started?

Comment

Do you ever read about on your own forum and on the Valley board how embarrassed MSU fans feel to claim you as their own?

Or do you just ignore it and think you're on top of the situation?
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Do you ever read about on your own forum and on the Valley board how embarrassed MSU fans feel to claim you as their own?

Or do you just ignore it and think you're on top of the situation?
                            Well I have been banned from pretty much every MSU board since letsgobears was a thing. I don't really care. I have higher expectations than most and very little patience. If any MSU fan wants to put their fanmanship up against mine, let them. As a poster I am passionate but I don't make personal attacks and try and stay on topic as much as I can. I'm not ashamed. I'll say that much.

Comment

Well I have been banned from pretty much every MSU board since letsgobears was a thing. I don't really care. I have higher expectations than most and very little patience. If any MSU fan wants to put their fanmanship up against mine, let them. As a poster I am passionate but I don't make personal attacks and try and stay on topic as much as I can. I'm not ashamed. I'll say that much.
                              High expectations for your program, not making personal attacks, and staying on topic got you banned from your own team's message board(s)? Very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                                High expectations for your program, not making personal attacks, and staying on topic got you banned from your own team's message board(s)? Very strange.
                                I posted a picture on my own website and got banned for it at BearNation back when that was a thing. It doesn't take much to ruffle the fur of the bears. I don't think they took kindly to when I said you shouldn't google Bear Nation with safe search off.

They're probably not offended at the picture, but that I called them crack heads instead of meth heads. Picture for the curious:

ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X