No announcement yet.

Tell me about the dark days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Canada Tour" (the international Incident) versus the "Dark Days" (the Lost Years), does it even compare?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
      "Canada Tour" (the international Incident) versus the "Dark Days" (the Lost Years), does it even compare?

Only if C. Diggins joins the coaching staff.

Comment

• No, we won too many games in Canada to compare

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          No, we won too many games in Canada to compare
          ****, I remember being excited about players ooping. I believe DK was the first player that always had a green light for an oop that I can remember.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
          Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
            Only if C. Diggins joins the coaching staff.
            Ah! Carlos!
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
              Ah! Carlos!
              It wouldn't be the refs who'd be accosted.

Now that​ was and embarrassment to the university.

Comment

• Wasn't Carlos the bad cop to Randy's bad cop?

Comment

• Quick Google search and it looks like Diggins may have recently passed away.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShocker2 View Post
                    An excessive amount of people would show up for our games against Tulsa....and then the arena would be half-empty before halftime because we would be down by 20-30. And you had to pee in a trough.
                    I am still not sure why the Health Department signed off on those restrooms. It was scary down there. The open poop stalls were particularly scenic.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                      Eddie Fogler stopped recruiting and we were dumb enough to hire his recommendation and assistant who had no business being a head coach.

2 whiffs on coaches later and you have a lost decade.
                      Coach Cohen's specialty was selling mutual funds....in Florida.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                        The hire of Fogler was a good hire, however he had his eyes on the North Carolina job and looked at the WSU job as a short time, get my feet in the door job. He left after 3 years and left no one in the program.

He recommended Mike Cohan as the head coach, BAD BAD hire. After 3 years of him we was let go and the rumors were that WSU was trying to hire Jimmy V. I'm not sure what happened, couldn't agree to terms?, but WSU couldn't get that done. They instead went the route of an upcoming coach from Rice, Scott Thompson. The program was so bare at the time that he had to have open tryouts just to have enough players to practice. Even so I don't think the boosters were ever really behind him. In no time you heard the grumbling of wanting Randy to be the head coach.

I think at that time the AD said you want him you got him and hired Randy as the coach, he got some good players, but was tough as nails, couldn't get along with the players and had other issues.
                        Coach Thompson recruited and signed Jason Perez. Coach Thompson was fired. Jason honored his commitment.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Speak2me View Post
                          You had to walk down two flights of stairs into a cold, stanky, crowded bathroom to get in line to pee in a trough......7k showing up for a home game was considered a good turnout......The highlight of the game would be when officiating got poor WU would come out in dark glasses, a ref uniform and a cane to pretend to be a blind ref. I remember he got a technical foul one time for that outfit and I think that was the end of that tradition........Our main in game band chant was "We're gonna beat the hell out of you" but we rarely did during the dark years......One thing that is leftover from the dark years is the popcorn. I am pretty sure the stuff they served this year at $5 a tub was from the same batch made in the late 80's when Cohen was still our coach.
                          The 7,000 became known as the "Dave Stallworth Faithful." The name was given by Coach R. Smithson.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                            if I didn't have class in 15 minutes I would. But basically, in the 80's WSU was a powerhouse. Then right before their best season, they got in trouble for "recruiting violations" or something of the sort. A few key players transferred to KU, and thus began the descent. Randy Smithson was hired to help bring some MTXE back, Maurice Evans came, Randy was a head case, Maurice transferred to Texas. Then before things could regress too far, Jim Schaus hired Mark Turgeon and Rosewood enrolled at WSU.
                            AD Schaus hired Coach Turgeon with an assist from Danny Ainge.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                              I am still not sure why the Health Department signed off on those restrooms. It was scary down there. The open poop stalls were particularly scenic.
                              Those were the days my friend...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• "Please get to 20 before halftime, please get to 20 before halftime !"
                                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Working...
                                X