No announcement yet.

Tell me about the dark days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We used to get wiped off the floor by Evansville (while they were wearing sleeved jerseys).

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
      This picture reminds me when my brother wrote for the Sunflower. I was in the 9th or 10th grade. Attendance we not so good, and he would get me a pass to sit at the press table right on the floor. I had to wear a tie and coat. They would come by at half time and give me the official stats like I was part of the press. I kept thinking they would realize I should not be there and tell me to leave.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        A couple of those guys had some rabbit ears for sure. But then, in those days, it was a lot easier to blame the officials than our crappy program.

I sure wasn't going to take out my frustration on the cheerleader that occupied the floor directly in front of me.....a tightly wrapped package of perfection that would melt Siberia.
        Not basketball related, but our last year of football, there was one particularly amply endowed cheerleader. One Saturday afternoon the buttons on her sweater decided they'd had enough and threw in the towel. It was glorious! The crowd went wild!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          A couple of those guys had some rabbit ears for sure. But then, in those days, it was a lot easier to blame the officials than our crappy program.

I sure wasn't going to take out my frustration on the cheerleader that occupied the floor directly in front of me.....a tightly wrapped package of perfection that would melt Siberia.
          Originally posted by Eric View Post
          Not basketball related, but our last year of football, there was one particularly amply endowed cheerleader. One Saturday afternoon the buttons on her sweater decided they'd had enough and threw in the towel. It was glorious! The crowd went wild!
          I was there!

I recall a baseball game in the mid-to-late 90’s when a large busted woman entered Eck Stadium; she walked behind the 3rd base dugout catching all kinds of attention and then slowly walked up the stairs in the grandstands to one of the top rows. Nearly every man (even most of the women) was rubber-necking. It was hilarious and head shaking. My first thought was “Morganna the Kissing Bandit” was making an appearance at her first college baseball game.

Last edited by WstateU; August 19, 2016, 01:30 PM.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Chris Grill. The 90's version of T. Cotton :disgust:

Comment

• 'Twas June of 1999. Randy Smithson Basketball Camp 5 on 5 championship. My team loses a close one. I slam the ball down right after the game in disgust. The ball may have gone up 12 feet in the air, so it was nothing terribly egregious. Not 3 seconds later, REGGIE Smithson has my 10 year old ass by the collar, puts me up against the railing and is chewing me out about how I should "never ever pull some **** like that again, especially on my floor!" Talk about THE darkest of times.

Comment

• Originally posted by WalterSobchak View Post
                'Twas June of 1999. Randy Smithson Basketball Camp 5 on 5 championship. My team loses a close one. I slam the ball down right after the game in disgust. The ball may have gone up 12 feet in the air, so it was nothing terribly egregious. Not 3 seconds later, REGGIE Smithson has my 10 year old ass by the collar, puts me up against the railing and is chewing me out about how I should "never ever pull some **** like that again, especially on my floor!" Talk about THE darkest of times.
                :shame:

Comment

• Originally posted by WalterSobchak View Post
                  When I was learning how to shoot my dad
                  This really needs a comma. This startled me at first.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                    This really needs a comma. This startled me at first.
                    Bring your thoughts, not your revisions to mine. Thanks nonetheless.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                      Chris Grill. The 90's version of T. Cotton :disgust:
                      In his dreams.

Comment

• eddie fogler deep-sixed wichita state basketball quite deliberately.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                          eddie fogler deep-sixed wichita state basketball quite deliberately.
                          Fogler Consulting

"...universities and colleges have turned to Fogler Consulting for trusted expert insight into the world of collegiate basketball coaching searches and recruitment. Fogler has successfully placed more than 30 college coaches across the nation at all levels of Division I basketball."

Obviously, he didn't know SH*T about this back in 1989. :disgust:

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                            Fogler Consulting

"...universities and colleges have turned to Fogler Consulting for trusted expert insight into the world of collegiate basketball coaching searches and recruitment. Fogler has successfully placed more than 30 college coaches across the nation at all levels of Division I basketball."

Obviously, he didn't know SH*T about this back in 1989. :disgust:
                            he knew exactly what he was doing in '89.

Comment

• It was a dark and stormy night...

Oh, wait, you wanted to know about the dark days.

I don't know about the dark days. Shox didn't play that many day games, but the night games were definitely dark and stormy.

I took a friend (who had gone to KU before dropping out) to a couple of games to show that we could get really good walk up seats. One game I took him to was a tourney where we actually beat Alabama. We had mid-teens row seats at mid-court buying them at the ticket window 20 minutes before the game.

Another game I took him to was a loss in the Thompson era. What I remember of that game was that guards were setting picks to give PF's open looks from 20'. All Thompson needed for his offense to work was a 6'9" guy who could stroke it from 20'.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                                eddie fogler deep-sixed wichita state basketball quite deliberately.
                                Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                                he knew exactly what he was doing in '89.
                                I have no love loss for Fast Eddie, but I missed (or have forgotten) why he would have done this dastardly deed intentionally. Please fill me in.

Comment

Working...
                                X