Tell me about the dark days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
    I have no love loss for Fast Eddie, but I missed (or have forgotten) why he would have done this dastardly deed intentionally. Please fill me in.
    This has some off-season potential

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I have no love loss for Fast Eddie, but I missed (or have forgotten) why he would have done this dastardly deed intentionally. Please fill me in.

Got outta town while the gettin' was still good?

Once he saw he couldn't recruit at this level :playful: he knew is was time to move on? Quickly, before the calendar turned to '89?

He quietly realized that Dugger & Mendelson weren't going to be the next twin towers of the midwest?

He wanted to coach beyond a mid-major? Oh, wait... that's when the Shocks weren't a mid-major. :beaten:

Or was it all unintentional and no need to read too much into it? Good idea. I'll leave it alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Once he saw he couldn't recruit at this level :playful: he knew is was time to move on? Quickly, before the calendar turned to '89?

He quietly realized that Dugger & Mendelson weren't going to be the next twin towers of the midwest?

He wanted to coach beyond a mid-major? Oh, wait... that's when the Shocks weren't a mid-major. :beaten:

Or was it all unintentional and no need to read too much into it? Good idea. I'll leave it alone.
        I think that this always a "stepping stone", temporary destination", etc. for Eddie. He wasn't a midwestern, blue collar, MVC Type of person. He never got WSU and he wasn't a good fit. Gregg and Gene were down to earth, Midwest, blue collar types. With Gregg, we hit the jackpot.

Comment

I thought his recommendation of Cohen was one of loyalty.

It was Wichita State's fault that they actually hired him.
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post

It was Wichita States fault they gave him a seat at the table. It went to his head.

Comment

It was Wichita States fault they gave him a seat at the table. It went to his head.
              There was no record for Cohen at an NCAA Div. 1 school. No one knew how good he would be. That isn't Eddies fault.

Comment

• Oh yeah, he also realized that Gene's recruit's eligibility had ended.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                  I think that this always a "stepping stone", temporary destination", etc. for Eddie. He wasn't a midwestern, blue collar, MVC Type of person. He never got WSU and he wasn't a good fit. Gregg and Gene were down to earth, Midwest, blue collar types. With Gregg, we hit the jackpot.
                  Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                  Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                  There was no record for Cohen at an NCAA Div. 1 school. No one knew how good he would be. That isn't Eddies fault.
                  Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                  Oh yeah, he also realized that Gene's recruit's eligibility had ended.
                  I agree with all of the above, plus a few more things I didn't like about him. However, I don't see anything that was done deliberately to damage WSU, just his own shortcomings as a coach. It was WSU's fault for hiring Cohen. Fogler's recommendation, even if out of loyalty, was just stupid. WSU compounded that stupidity.

As far as him leaving WSU, he had to get out while he could. Many here won't like this, but it was duplicated by MT years later for the same reasons. Don't get me wrong, MT made his own positive mark on WSU on his own. However, both he and Fast Eddie were/are shaker and movers. They both knew if they stayed any longer, their "upward mobility" could be compromised.

Comment

• Hmmm, none of the Fogler supporters have joined the conversation, and we definitely have them here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      Hmmm, none of the Fogler supporters have joined the conversation, and we definitely have them here.
                      I like Folgers but am satisfied with buying Kroger Columbian Blend.
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

not on shockernet. but i stand by my comments. he's no friend of wichita state, obviously.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                          I like Folgers but am satisfied with buying Kroger Columbian Blend.
                          I think it was a different type of Columbian blend that could be bought when I was in college.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            I think it was a different type of Columbian blend that could be bought when I was in college.
                            You're thinking of a Colombian blend. A Columbian blend means you're a mix of stupid people from Missouri.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I knew Eddie a little, and knew 2 of his coaches well.

I don't believe there was anything done to sink the WSU program. I doubt anyone would argue Eddie saw this job as a stepping stone at best. And while I agree he didn't really "fit in" here, he did love his house and neighbors in Benton and enjoyed the quieter midwest, as did his top assistant who again, didn't really fit in.

I believe it was the ego of Eddie, and the expectation that he start his own coaching tree, just like his boss in Carolina, that led to suggesting Cohen get the job.

Clearly Mike had zero business being a head coach, but those were FAR different times.

Eddie had his shortcomings for sure, but he gave his all to WSU for 3 years and had 2 NCAAs and 1 NIT to show for it. That's tough to argue.

He was responsible for Cooper and Guffrovich, 2 of the best 50 players in the history of the program. Yes, he had plenty of misses too.

I don't get the people that bag on Eddie. Was he going to be down the next year? Perhaps, but he left Coop, Guff, Bonds and Davis for Mike. Not a bad start. Devoid of size? Yes. Talent? No.

3 seasons, clean, 3 postseasons, 1 tourney title, 2 program top 50 recruits, won 2/3 of his games. Could have been a lot worse if you ask me.

Comment

• One might add that Fogler left WSU in better shape than Turgeon did.

Comment

Working...
                                X