**Wichita State @ Northern Iowa Game Thread**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
    I'm glad the shockers don't share this attitude. Thankfully they're winners who are never satisfied with their performance.
    What the players think about their "ceiling" and what I (a fan) think are 2 different things. Of course I hope they believe they have plenty of room to improve. That mindset is what the players need.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
      What? Why?
      Just the ragging on bad language; thought it might be you ragging on the sexual innuendo. No offense.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Hard to find faults when we are 25 and 0, but there are things that need to be worked on and improved. I have no doubt that GM and his assistants are well aware of them and will work some adjustments out.

a. Both ISU and NI put tremendous pressure on us at various times to throw the ball into play after scoring. A couple of times this resulted in either turn-overs or the need to call a time-out.

b. Also, both schools very effectively bottled up both Fred and Ron’s ability to dribble penetrate their front-line defenses head-on. One of the major reasons in the ISU game that the shot clock ran out on us a couple of times and/or resulted in our taking a hurried desperate shot that only our opponents seem capable of ever making. Only in the later stages of last nights game were both able to penetrate the opponents defense and, in both cases, it was from the right corner.

No doubt that these are the direct result of both ISU and NI making adjustments to their previous game against us (think Fred and Baker) and they are bound to stick with whatever slows us down if and when we meet again in St. Louis.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
          Hard to find faults when we are 25 and 0, but there are things that need to be worked on and improved. I have no doubt that GM and his assistants are well aware of them and will work some adjustments out.

a. Both ISU and NI put tremendous pressure on us at various times to throw the ball into play after scoring. A couple of times this resulted in either turn-overs or the need to call a time-out.

b. Also, both schools very effectively bottled up both Fred and Ron’s ability to dribble penetrate their front-line defenses head-on. One of the major reasons in the ISU game that the shot clock ran out on us a couple of times and/or resulted in our taking a hurried desperate shot that only our opponents seem capable of ever making. Only in the later stages of last nights game were both able to penetrate the opponents defense and, in both cases, it was from the right corner.

No doubt that these are the direct result of both ISU and NI making adjustments to their previous game against us (think Fred and Baker) and they are bound to stick with whatever slows us down if and when we meet again in St. Louis.
          I'm not sure how much UNI slowed us down. We cleared 80. Now they did score on us a bit.

Comment

• Sports Illustrated had a writer at the game last night: "C&C Music Factory" Paces No. 4 Wichita State to 82-73 Victory Over Northern Iowa
            Darius Carter stepped up to fill the void left by Kadeem Coleby and Cleanthony Early's foul trouble as the Shockers cruised to their 25th consecutive victory.

Comment

• Originally posted by chicagoshocker View Post
              Sports Illustrated had a writer at the game last night: "C&C Music Factory" Paces No. 4 Wichita State to 82-73 Victory Over Northern Iowa
              http://www.midmajormadness.com/2014/...issouri-valley
              Read the article, but one quote is obviously wrong:

"Here's a fun fact for you. Did you know that prior to Wichita State and Syracuse achieving the feat this season, no team ever, in the history of Division I basketball, had reached a Final Four and then started the following season at least 22-0?"

Wait, in 1970-71, UCLA was the national champion. Then, in 1971-72, UCLA went 30-0 and were again the national champion. Then, in 1972-73, UCLA again went 30-0 and were the national champion. I'm pretty sure they played in Division 1 and also pretty sure you have to reach the Final Four to be the national champion. Also, how can you finish the season 30-0 without winning your first 22 games?

Comment

• Originally posted by ciaomichael View Post
                Read the article, but one quote is obviously wrong:

"Here's a fun fact for you. Did you know that prior to Wichita State and Syracuse achieving the feat this season, no team ever, in the history of Division I basketball, had reached a Final Four and then started the following season at least 22-0?"

Wait, in 1970-71, UCLA was the national champion. Then, in 1971-72, UCLA went 30-0 and were again the national champion. Then, in 1972-73, UCLA again went 30-0 and were the national champion. I'm pretty sure they played in Division 1 and also pretty sure you have to reach the Final Four to be the national champion. Also, how can you finish the season 30-0 without winning your first 22 games?

But 2 teams to reach the FF and each go 22+ and 0 the following year is probably a record that will never be matched

Comment

• Ok here is a question that let's you see how stupid I am.

Uni had a 3 and while the ball was in the air two guys battled for the potential rebound. A foul was called on WSU. A believe a uni player went to the line for a 1 and 1.

I didn't think that it was possible to have a 5 point play. But I think I just hadn't ever seen that call.

Also showing my ignorance - on slo mo replay it is clear the basket that got called a goal tend was partially blocked. Surely you can't goal tend a basket that has been tipped, right? It looks like the ball was on the way down but it wasn't above the rim even. Idk

Laugh at me now for being a basketba idiot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                    Ok here is a question that let's you see how stupid I am.

Uni had a 3 and while the ball was in the air two guys battled for the potential rebound. A foul was called on WSU. A believe a uni player went to the line for a 1 and 1.

I didn't think that it was possible to have a 5 point play. But I think I just hadn't ever seen that call.

Also showing my ignorance - on slo mo replay it is clear the basket that got called a goal tend was partially blocked. Surely you can't goal tend a basket that has been tipped, right? It looks like the ball was on the way down but it wasn't above the rim even. Idk

It seems like they should be able to review something like that. I know it's different in football, but if there's a pass interference called and the replay shows the ball was tipped, they pick up the flag.

Comment

No worries. I've been laughing at you long before now. (Please engage your meter on this one)

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                        It seems like they should be able to review something like that. I know it's different in football, but if there's a pass interference called and the replay shows the ball was tipped, they pick up the flag.
                        The NCAA have gone further with instant replay than I even thought. We have to be careful with what we want reviewed. Stoppage in play, especially in basketball, can really adversely effect the flow of the game. I know we enjoy throwing darts at officials, but it is a very challenging task. At some point we have to live with the result of the call, whether we like it or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                          The NCAA have gone further with instant replay than I even thought. We have to be careful with what we want reviewed. Stoppage in play, especially in basketball, can really adversely effect the flow of the game. I know we enjoy throwing darts at officials, but it is a very challenging task. At some point we have to live with the result of the call, whether we like it or not.
                          Maybe instead of a stoppage in play, they could do like they're doing now with the 3-pt FG where they review it at the next timeout.

Comment

Maybe instead of a stoppage in play, they could do like they're doing now with the 3-pt FG where they review it at the next timeout.
                            I hate it when you have a logical response. Stop it now!!!

Comment

The foul was not committed against the shooter so it was not an and one. As for the second question
                              I did not see the tip but thought it might have been a bad call because the ball never seemed to
                              even make it to the level of the rim

Comment

The mis-called goaltending play stopped the game flow (uni would have the rebound) so how do you reverse that inutes later? You can take away the points, but you cannot "resume the normal flow of play". With the 3 or 2' the flow isn't altered, only the scoreboard
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X