Bracketology - 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    I still say, despite peeing down their leg yesterday, the #1 seed still can be KUs

No one seems to want the 4th spot.

Perhaps they are throwing games to be #2 in our region.

Any speculation on our potential #16 seed matchup?

I was pulling for a Winthrop win today but alas it did not seem to be. Would have been neat to have them as our 16 matchup

Comment

• Comment

• Each of the past 2 years there has been a 1 seed with atleast 7 losses. It happened in 2007 as well.

Current loss counts:
        WSU - 0
        Florida - 2
        Arizona - 3
        Villanova - 3
        Syracuse - 4
        Virginia - 6
        Wisconsin - 6
        Michigan - 7
        Kansas - 8

It looks unlikely that anyone with more than 6 losses will get a 1 seed. Whoever gets the 4th 1 seed, I don't think there is any reason to call them a "weak" 1 seed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
          Each of the past 2 years there has been a 1 seed with atleast 7 losses. It happened in 2007 as well.

Current loss counts:
          WSU - 0
          Florida - 2
          Arizona - 3
          Villanova - 3
          Syracuse - 4
          Virginia - 6
          Wisconsin - 6
          Michigan - 7
          Kansas - 8

It looks unlikely that anyone with more than 6 losses will get a 1 seed. Whoever gets the 4th 1 seed, I don't think there is any reason to call them a "weak" 1 seed.
          I don't think that anyone is saying that they would be a weak one seed. I think it's more that they would have a weaker case for a one seed compared to WSU, Florida, or Arizona.

Comment

• I would love to see Syracuse as our #2.

Comment

• I just need to get this off my chest -- I hate Bracketology.

Early in the season it is epitome of pointless. Maybe I'd be happier if it was just a top 64 teams list. But to drive clicks they do things like having WSU KSU KU and CU in the same bracket. People eat that **** up. Yesterday I wanted to scream as radio folk spoke of joe L like he has some insight into this ****. There is no way in hell that WSU cu and KU end up in the same pod in StL. They know 2/3 of those teams will sell the venue out. They know KU will travel to San Antonio without a fit. CU travels fine as well.

And then after all the conf tourney games are set joe posts his last bracket of the season and sometimes even adjusts that. All of the crazy matchups vanish. Everything is more reasonable and this boring. And then on selection Sunday his predictions look pretty good. Maybe he has a guy on the inside or maybe not. But that final bracket is his cache going into next year where the stupidity repeats over and over.

It is a necessary stupidity in the 24hr news cycle. You have to talk about something so I guess make up a story. "Joey Brackets" is on espn radio talking up his Schtick so it all works out well for the mothership.

But end the end I know it isn't a big deal. I ignore all year except right about now where it bubbles to the surface and I let it out. Now I'm good for another year. Carry on.

Comment

• E: double post

But I'll add that the reason so many others do the exact same thing is because it did such a great job of driving traffic for espn and filling a vacuum in the news cycle.

Comment

• Meh. It's fun most years. It just not this year because were pretty well locked into a seed and we already know where we'll likely be playing all three rounds. The rest is just a crapshoot. I think that we'd be more interested if we didn't already know what we know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Therapy View Post
                    Meh. It's fun most years. It just not this year because were pretty well locked into a seed and we already know where we'll likely be playing all three rounds. The rest is just a crapshoot. I think that we'd be more interested if we didn't already know what we know.
                    Second round can be very tough. There are no give mes in a 1 and done
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                      Second round can be very tough. There are no give mes in a 1 and done
                      I agree, but who play is a total crapshoot. It's unknowable. Around now we're normally guessing at our seed and region which are the only things we can take a reasonable stab at. This year we pretty much already know all of it, which just leaves us to guess about the matchups. Which isn't as much fun, because like @Rosewood: said, it's practically unknowable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                        I just need to get this off my chest -- I hate Bracketology.

Early in the season it is epitome of pointless. Maybe I'd be happier if it was just a top 64 teams list. But to drive clicks they do things like having WSU KSU KU and CU in the same bracket. People eat that **** up.
                        I have to agree here.. Specifically, I hate how they post it online and everyone argues about it in the comments as if it's set in stone.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerEngineer View Post
                          I have to agree here.. Specifically, I hate how they post it online and everyone argues about it in the comments as if it's set in stone.
                          I have to give it credit in that it drives clicks. Online forums eat it up. The (fans of) top seeds want to see if they are a one or snubbed or who the 8/9s are this year.
                          The middle teams just like a confirmation that they are having a good year.
                          The bottom teams are desperate for confirmation.
                          And then even non espn radio stations pick up on it and drive it into the ground.
                          And all of that drives clicks. But not from me.

Comment

• Updated

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.
                            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• I'd lock that in right now, if I could.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Gimme gimme gimme that, idk why (yes I do) but I really want to play and destroy oklahoma state.
                                Shox-4-Life

Comment

Working...
                                X